Obama..... not religious?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 05:00 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Has it been so long that you forgot what you were writing here?
I did not forget; for what reason do u ask me that ?
( or did u forget Y u asked ? )

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 05:04 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Like Dick Cheney?
I like him a lot!

David
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 08:31 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

You do drivel. Either you are a tool of the right, or so completely hoodwinked that you think the day begins at noon.

I'm no tool of anyone. I speak my own convictions and beliefs. Most of the time, that agrees with other conservative opinions based in freedom, liberty, and individual responsibility, which is in total contrast with the opposite end of the spectrum, that of ultra leftist herd mentality, that the almighty State must do your thinking for you and take care of you, plainoldme. How about getting a spine and thinking for yourself? Now that would be refreshing, so that we would not have to read your re-gurgitated platitudes spouted by leftist liberals.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 08:44 pm
@okie,
Sorry,there is nothing more conformist than a rightie and there is no one less likely to take personal responsibility. Now, I think you have said everything your overlords have told you to say. Find something to do.
okie

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 09:13 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Sorry,there is nothing more conformist than a rightie and there is no one less likely to take personal responsibility.

Absolute and complete baloney. Attend a tea party movement and you will find responsible people, business owners, taxpayers, and upstanding citizens. Attend a leftist rally, tree hugger march, or anti-war rally and you will find more druggies, dropouts, and losers. Fact is, many power brokers in today's Democratic Party, such as the Clintons, were pot smoking losers from the 60's and 70's. If conforming means being responsible, that is infinitely better than being a rebel loser.

It takes courage, pom, but facing the truth is liberating.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 10:05 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Sorry,there is nothing more conformist than a rightie
Of COURSE! By definition, if we don 't conform to the Constitution, then we are not rightists.
U shud KNOW that.

plainoldme wrote:
and there is no one less likely to take personal responsibility.
Damned RIGHT, depending on WHAT u want us to take responsibility FOR.

David
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:07 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Is he really going to be the first president to begin removing this country from its incredible ties to christianity?

I hope so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep2u4xvYhjw&eurl=http://pinnacleheadlinenews.weebly.com/

(edited)

yes. I see that this is an edited clip/quote..
But it is interesting.. People call him the antichrist. Laughing when he is only quoting the christian bible as it stands..

Don't bank on it.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:54 am
@stevecook172001,
I have to agree with steve here. i always thought the "news reel footage" of presidents attending Sunday services was just that: public relations.

Now that we have a president who has not chosen a church . . . and I feel that religion is more intimate a matter than sex . . . his lack of a choice is causing the Christian right to boil, roil and seethe.

Frankly, I hope an observant Jew emerges to run soon and to move the focus on this country away from Sunday.
okie

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:40 pm
@plainoldme,
Have people forgotten that Obama was converted to Christianity, and greatly inspired and moved by his friend and mentor, the great Jeremiah Wright? So inspiring when he declares among other things that "Hillary ain't never been called a nigger." and "Barrack knows what its like to be a poor black man living in a country controlled by rich white people." And as he says, as Jesus experienced, comparing Obama to Jesus.
okie

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:55 pm
@okie,
I see somebody voted my above post down to zero, but folks, everything I said is absolute truth. If you don't like what was posted, face it, its fact. If you love Jeremiah Wright, then you will love Obama, but if you don't, perhaps you need to take a good hard look at Obama, at who and what he really is, and ask yourself some serious questions about your own politics.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:04 pm
For Pete's sake, Okie, just about everybody agrees that Jeremiah Wright is a cranky, wacky, way too angry at everything cuss.

Who does he remind me of?

Joe(Okie, take a look in the mirror)Nation
plainoldme

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:22 am
I dislike the way this country feels an obligation to dissect the private life of its presidents. I have always felt that religiosity must be private. While people do wear religious symbols from crosses and crucifixes to Thor's hammers to pentacles, that sort of decoration (and for some, it is simply decoration) or symbolism is a personal choice.

There are doors on the WH and the president and the president's family has the same right everyone else has to close those doors.
djjd62

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:47 am
@okie,
funny, i love wright, but i can't stand obama

he's too soft, he should have had all you crackers locked up in camps by now, where did he go wrong
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:42 pm
@djjd62,
I think in many ways Wright is right, but he's wrong about the process.

So much of the oppression of blacks in the USA is inadvertent, accidental, unconscious which, of course, makes it all even more abominable, horrific and despicable.

Imagine: relegating your brother and sisters to a life of pain without even being aware of it. What shame.

Joe(wake. Wake. You are needed here on the front lines)Nation
okie

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:43 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

For Pete's sake, Okie, just about everybody agrees that Jeremiah Wright is a cranky, wacky, way too angry at everything cuss.

But most liberals probably think he is correct, just too angry, is that right, Joe? And Obama probably doesn't think he is too angry, but he had to distance himself from him for political purposes. The truth is conservatives know the man is a bigot filled with hatred, as are many liberals.

Quote:
Who does he remind me of?

He reminds me of many liberals, and he says what most of them know enough to know they can't dare say it. That would include Obama. I think Wright voices what Obama thinks but knows he can't say.

Quote:
Joe(Okie, take a look in the mirror)Nation
Why don't you take your advice, Joe, and look in the mirror?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:48 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

I think in many ways Wright is right, but he's wrong about the process.

Your post confirms what I just posted in my above post, you agree with the hatreds and bigotry of Wright, you just think he's wrong in his approach or something. A rarity here, a liberal actually admits to being filled with hatred and bigotry. I will give you credit Joe, you have more courage and honesty than Obama had in regard to Wright.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 01:44 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I dislike the way this country feels an obligation to dissect the private life of its presidents. I have always felt that religiosity must be private.

If you were stating this as a general principle, I would agree. But in the specific case of Obama, it's a red herring, because he chose to make his religiosity part of his public persona. An important selling point in his campaign for president was how he started out as a community organizer, and how the community-organizing was grounded in Christian churches on Chicago's South Side. Hence, when Obama's opponents point out that his religious mentor of these days is a whacko, they are merely drawing the logical consequences of Obama's own choice. Obama was free to publicize your religiosity or keep it private; line-item privacy was never an option.
snood

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 10:09 am
@Thomas,
Well, it's one way to look at it that Obama brought the scrutiny on himself. I think its kind of 'chicken-or-egg', because there have been demands for him to 'reveal his true colors of religious beliefs' right from the start, from those determined to somehow prove he "isn't like us".

He never really had a choice but to try to clearly state what he is spiritually, the way I see it, with all the howling about him being Muslim, Atheist, Antichrist, etc.....
sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 10:31 am
@snood,
There was also more general philosophical and political stuff at play. One of the earliest political things he was saying that I agreed with is that Democrats have been too secular -- they ceded religion to the Republicans. Meanwhile, there were plenty of religious progressives/ liberals who were feeling that they didn't really have a place in the Democratic party.

So that was part of what he was doing, reaching out to those groups, and part of that was talking about it personally as well as in the abstract.

I do think that probably came first -- I'm talking about 2002, 2003, definitely by 2004 and his keynote speech. So before he was a major figure and the howling started.

But I don't have a problem with him bringing it up, and I think that was an important thing for him to have done.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 10:15 pm
@Thomas,
It is important to point out, Thomas, that Obama's religiosity is highly political in nature. Obama's politics and religion are inseparable in his case. After all, the foundational belief of the church that supposedly converted Obama to Christianity was Black Liberation Theology, which is clearly a political belief as much or more than it is religious.

As obvious as this was to many, it is amazing that it was either dismissed or largely ignored by a large portion of this country's voters, as well as the mainstream media. Big mistake.