Obama..... not religious?

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
How about: Is everybody who claims to be an American citizen...an American citizen.

How about: go look up the requirements for being an American citizen.

There are objective measures which determine whether one qualifies as an American citizen.

This isn't a debate about whether we can define what makes a Christian, it's a debate what what the definition is.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:45 am
@Setanta,
Set...you are getting all bent out of shape again.

Why not do something about that anger of yours.

And really...why not do something about the compulsion to be right all the time.

Now I want you to know...since I do love and respect you...that when you say something is "feeble-minded" I gotta give it serious consideration...because you do seem to be an expert in feeble-mindedness.

C'mon...calm down a bit...and work on some of those others. I'm really enjoying this chat, ole buddy. Hope you are too.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:46 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
Is everyone who claims to be a "Christian" a Christian?

On what authority would you deny the claim?

What do you mean by "authority?"
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:47 am
@DrewDad,
Now do the not-guilty one!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Was every person who claims to have been at Woodstock...at Woodstock?

Is everyone on the Internet who claims to be brilliant actually brilliant? Frank Apisa is the definitive proof that this is not so.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:48 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
This isn't a debate about whether we can define what makes a Christian, it's a debate what what the definition is.

This is not a debate. This is a bunch of people talking past each other.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:49 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Is everyone on the Internet who claims to be brilliant actually brilliant? Frank Apisa is the definitive proof that this is not so.

There you go. Now you are on to something. Stay with that. You are on the right track.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:52 am
@joefromchicago,
Go ahead. Release your inner pedant.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:55 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

This is not a debate. This is a bunch of people talking past each other.
well yeah.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:58 am
@DrewDad,
That did it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
I'm not angry, Frankie . . . you're not worth the emotion. But i am unsurprised to see you using a grade school tactic--if you can convince others that i am angry, you may have an emotional appeal to discredit what i say. That, of course, would say nothing about the value of the argument you are advancing.

I say that your attempt at a Napoleon analogy is feeble-minded because it is no analogy at all. Napoleon was an individual, and Christians are a class of people. DD has pointed this out to you, and i offered that explanation to you in very simple terms that even you should have been able to understand.

Don't mistake contempt for anger, Frankie.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:11 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I'm not angry, Frankie . . . you're not worth the emotion. But i am unsurprised to see you using a grade school tactic--if you can convince others that i am angry, you may have an emotional appeal to discredit what i say. That, of course, would say nothing about the value of the argument you are advancing.

I say that your attempt at a Napoleon analogy is feeble-minded because it is no analogy at all. Napoleon was an individual, and Christians are a class of people. DD has pointed this out to you, and i offered that explanation to you in very simple terms that even you should have been able to understand.

Don't mistake contempt for anger, Frankie.

Well...I guess we could explore if everyone who claims not to be angry...but simply holding contempt...is a person who truly is not angry and only contemptuous.

But in your case, Set, it seems pretty certain that you do have anger issues...and it's only natural for people with those issues to deny them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:12 am
@dyslexia,
Hey you.

Feeling better?

Hope you are well on the road to full recovery.
Drunk
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:18 am
It is certainly normal for people who cannot defend their statements to attempt to distract from that issue by any means available, including a specious charge that the person who has pointed out that their statement is indefensible is motivated by anger.

You don't know a goddamned thing about me, Frankie--so when you claim that you do, you just demonstrate another of your character traits--you're a liar.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:29 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
It is certainly normal for people who cannot defend their statements to attempt to distract from that issue by any means available, including a specious charge that the person who has pointed out that their statement is indefensible is motivated by anger.

You don't know a goddamned thing about me, Frankie--so when you claim that you do, you just demonstrate another of your character traits--you're a liar.

Jesus Putative Christ, Set...do you really wanna continue this thing???

Lemme tell ya a funny story!

We had a guy in town...an atheist who use to write lots of letters to the editor to a local newspaper...and every time he mentioned Jesus Christ...he always called him Jesus bar Joseph. Sometimes a couple of times in a paragraph. And always in the context of a discussion of Christianity!

He was a horse's ass...and I remember one of my response letters where I mentioned that all his readers knew that if he referred to Jesus...we'd know which Jesus he meant...without having the "bar Joseph" attached to define the person.

Whenever I see your constant use of the "putative Christ" bit...making absolutely sure none of us mistake the fact that you do not accept the "Christness" of Jesus...I think about that horse's ass.

Jeez...now that I think about it...that really wasn't all that funny a story.

I wonder why I felt the urge to tell it????

Anyway...no, I'm not a liar.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:35 am
You certainly are a liar when you insist that i am angry, or "have anger issues" when, in fact, you don't know a goddamned thing about me, and are just using a puerile rhetorical trick. When you insist upon things which you cannot know, and which aren't true, Frankie, that makes you a liar.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:54 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You certainly are a liar when you insist that i am angry, or "have anger issues" when, in fact, you don't know a goddamned thing about me, and are just using a puerile rhetorical trick. When you insist upon things which you cannot know, and which aren't true, Frankie, that makes you a liar.

Oh ****...just what I was trying to avoid. Another problem with a definition Set proposes.

Jeez!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:58 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Is everyone who claims to be a "Christian" a Christian?

No. Because, if the answer was yes, I would also have to accept that Foxfyre is a libertarian because she said so. This would be the intellectual equivalent of fingernails on a blackboard, of styrofoam plates rubbing against each other, and all that. I refuse to go there.
JPB

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 01:07 pm
@Thomas,
Laughing

Now that's funny.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 08:22 am
Two or three months ago when I began my blog, I posted a classic Crossfire show where Frank Zappa was on with Robert Novak and a seriously nutty "christian" named John Lofton. Then, a few weeks back, Lofton showed up on my blog, casting his fishing-for-souls net. He and I have had a little dialogue... http://bernielatham.wordpress.com/2009/01/11/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-trouble-maker/#comment-220

thomas...(and anyone else) I have a new email...name at gmail.

Aside from that, it's somehow comforting to peek in and see frank and set still deeply in love.