Some old Abuzzers!

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:43 am
In the thread devoted to when we all joined A2K"or Abuzz"I mentioned that I had some threads printed. Found a few. Thought I might post this response from that thread as a new thread...to be sure as many of the old timers get to see some of the names from back then.

Well the earliest print-out I've been able to find so far is dated Feb. 6th 2001. It is obvious from the thread that I had been at Abuzz for some time already.

One thing I had forgotten: For the first few months at Abuzz, I used the user name A4609...my old Air Force designation. The last posting with A4609 was Feb. 11th...and on Feb. 12th the user name showed as frankapisa. In the Feb. 6th thread, titled simply “The Bible” we find poppt73; cv3000; mishka88; plaprot; goldie46a; sahagan.

Here are a few more names I came across in the other threads I printed: blacksmithn; Ivonna; JesusGirl22; kuvasz1; PIDanzig; NHLurker; Squinney (Luv ya, Sq); Maraso; Jeanbean; xingu; bradelbein; dopper06; maxsdadeo; r_w; jdhealy; anOmlet; Prism; StoneWarrior2; tex-star; eyelidz; Bubbette; au1912; himself;

Himself, in a thread entitled, “Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?” posted the first response. It was:

Quote:
frank person--

indeed, no need to dwell/inspect re your reasons to pose a rather ludicrous query.
Tis clear to me anyway; ye have a bias and ye seek (unwitting) support of same.

Be the hush lad.

I remember the day his wife posted to inform us all that he had passed away.

Very sad day for me.

First time I truly realized how strong the bonds can become in one of these forums.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:50 am
http://able2know.org/topic/23572-3
On this thread, I pay tribute to himself and also post a thread he started on abuzz. His name was Thomas Dunne.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:13 am
Himself died at about the same time as Mary Pope, erstwhile moderator on Abuzz. I think it was the first time that I realized that one can become attached to people one has never actually met in the flesh.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks for posting those Abuzz threads, Frank. You're OK!

Anyone remember the name of the early prototype of Abuzz? Wasn't it Bee something? This was pre-NYTIMES..and more Boston Globe connected.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:20 am
@Ragman,
The Beehive.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:21 am
@Ragman,
Beehive. I think, I joined when it changed the "label" - at least, I joined via boston.com and not via the NYT.
(Unfortunately, all my private email exchange with Mary Pope got deleted when I got my new computer in those days.)
Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Danke schön, Walter and MA. That's IT! I had joined after it became Abuzz..perhaps a year after Beehive, I think.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:32 am
Ragman and Walter -- sounds like we all joined at about the same time. I joined Abuzz from the web page of the NYT. It was pretty much brand new then, the domain name had been changed recently and some people were still talking about the old Beehive. There was a campaign on to get more people to join. When the baton was passed to the Boston Globe, large poster ads were put up in Boston, touting the site.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:25 am
@Merry Andrew,
It might well have been so (same time, I mean).

I remember that still some discussions were going on about the old site (beehive).

And I rmember as well my great surprise how "differently" Abuzz looked when entering from the NYT isnead from boston.com
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:29 am
I think I had only been on Abuzz since just after the election (2000). Don't know if I was "...all happy with myself" from the beginning.

Ah, yes. Jeanbean, jesusgirl, bobsal, mazsdadeo ... Himself. Loved Himself. Thank you for the link Edgar.

(Love ya too, Frank)
kuvasz

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 12:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
On this thread, I pay tribute to himself and also post a thread he started on abuzz. His name was Thomas Dunne.

TO EDGAR AND FRANK

just before abuzz fell i downloaded 92 threads i thought valuable for preservation, the one in memorial honoring Himself is one of them. i would post it here but it runs 54 pages on windows word.

this is the first entry

http://nytimes.abuzz.com/interaction/s.249360/discussion/e/1.70135/

Quote:
HIMSELF (Thomas Dunne)

for those of you who know my husband Himself. I just wish to make it known that he died
at 2:00 this morning.

For those who liked him Paxtibi

For those who didn't *sigh*

Words will never tell how much I loved him and he loved me.

Thank you.

peace, guys
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 12:39 pm
@kuvasz,
Nice post, Kuvasz. Thanks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 01:17 pm
I exchanged a few emails with himself's widow. It was my belief she became suicidal. I hope she managed to get through the pain and get on with living. She no longer responds to my emails. I was very clumsy in my replies, so it may just be that she cut off contact and is okay.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 01:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sorry to hear that, Edgar.

Grief can be very difficult to deal with.

Hope she made it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 04:17 pm
What about Hollis Ray Mathis . . . he could always enliven a dull day at Abuzz . . .
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 04:31 pm
wow, those names bring back pleasant memories. I think I joined abuzz around 2002, maybe '01, thru the Globe, not the NYT. Was on here as username for a couple years til the new format which told me I couldn't rejoin as username since someone else already had it (it was ME, goddamnit), so reverted to the abuzz MontereyJack; dlowan was there, anyone remember the conservative curmudgeons, SailFree, chipfromsd, and of course the resident troll Massagato (who seems to have recently made his fourth or fifth appearance on a2k, now as genoves).

Loved Squinney's "You can't get there from here" thread and the Tom Swifty's thread, every once in awhile I google somethin and an abuzz thread pops up--are they archived somewhere? Does that Times link above have them?

Jes, Regis, Edgar, Gus, Set, Squinny, BPB, littlek, dag, love em all.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 04:40 pm
@MontereyJack,
Sailfree came on a2k for a bit but didn't stay long. I didn't agree with him much, but I had a bit of fondness for him.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 05:44 pm
@Setanta,
oh YES!...and then, of corse, there ws Chaiyah!
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 05:50 pm
I just came across a post on here by squeedleboink. I wonder if squeedle goes back to Abuzz. Whatever, he/she's AWOL anyway.
Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:00 pm
@Ragman,
Apparently, Chaiyah means soul (Hebrew? Don't quote me). I had a really spooky experience, when someone had mentioned Chaiyah here, and the following day, or the day after, when i just happened to be musing on just how goofy Chaiyah was, while driving on Queen Street near the beach in Toronto, i saw a license plate on a car in front of me, and the plate read: "chaiyah."

Thank Dog i don't drink or take drugs, or i'd have had good reason to suspect i was losing it.