Some old Abuzzers!

Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:04 pm
@Setanta,
Well, let's see Chai means Living in Hebrew. Chaim means life. Furthermore, L'chayim now is a toast...meaning "to life". There are various mystical numerological speculations about the fact that, according to the system of gematria, the letters of chai add up to 18. For this reason, 18 is a lucky number in Judaism, and many Jews give gifts of money in multiples of 18 as a result. so a wedding or bar mitzah it's customary to give gifts according to those mulitples.

Chaiyah is feminized name take from Chai. Have to look in my resource to see if chaiyah has other meaning.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:11 pm
@MontereyJack,
You're username, well that's a kick!

I see some names I remember in Frank's list, like Maraso and anOmlet..

Probably my favorites on abuzz were dlowan's digression threads. Then there were Vincent's posts/threads.

Bstumbo, bless his heart. I also abruptly didn't hear from him after Jaybee died.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:11 pm
@Ragman,
Just found it: The related word Chaya means living thing or animal.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:15 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta: in Toronto there is very large Jewish population -- one of the largest in North America. Sooner or later, you'd have run into someone with a Chaiyah license plate.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:24 pm
I used to enjoy the political and historical discussions with certain members, which were (in the politics) almost never partisan or nasty. The two whom i remember enjoying most were MacHeath (sp?) and Seydlitz.

Hughjass was always good for some bizarre humor, too.
dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:38 pm
@Setanta,
Hugh Jass is a GOD.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Squeedleboink was known as Here Comes Everybody on Abuzz. He's alive and well, to the best of my knowledge, just not posting on any boards any more. He got married and inherited a teen-age daughter along with that marriage, so that might have something to do with no longer posting. Letty, I think, can give you more details. She had an e-mail corrspondence going with Squeedleboink. (Real name Elbert Lee, btw. He's a folk musician, song writer and music producer.)
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:51 pm
And here I thought chai liked the tea mixture and so chose that screen name. ooooh, the digression threads.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
Speaking of digression threads, I believe I miss Debacle more than anyone else. Get the occasional e-mail from him when he feels like sharing a joke, but it's not the same as an online conversation.
dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:21 pm
@MontereyJack,
You know, the wonderful Margo saved all the digressions, and sent me a CD Rom with them on.

It'd take a bit of fiddling, but they are available if anyone REALLY wants them.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:21 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I miss him greatly, too.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:07 am
hi, osso.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:33 am
@kuvasz,
Quote:
HIMSELF (Thomas Dunne)

for those of you who know my husband Himself. I just wish to make it known that he died
at 2:00 this morning.

For those who liked him Paxtibi

For those who didn't *sigh*

Words will never tell how much I loved him and he loved me.

Thank you.

I cried the first time I read that, years ago.

Just cried again, now.
Letty

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 04:49 am
@msolga,
Odd, I was writing himself an email and he died shortly thereafter. I think his wife's name was espoire or something of that nature. If I recall correctly, she had multiple personality disorder.

Mary Heath died on my birthday. So odd.

Timberlandko was attempting to help me put my real picture as my avatar. He died soon after.

Yep, Merry Andrew, elbert lee is alive and well and living in Key West. Love his music. He had a wonderful Christmas and New Year's with his "gal".

Don't know when I joined abuzz, but my first post was "curiousity". That was inspired by a young woman who observed, "My curiousity managed to survive the public school system."

A memory:

Craven: I'm creating an art and poetry forum. (that was the realm) We all bounced back and forth between Abuzz and Poe for a while. The poem that I liked at that time was, Maggie and Millie and Molly and Mae. (alliteration)

Then I did a poem for my son.
Letty

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 05:50 am
Found this, everyone.

http://www.clickz.com/421111
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:51 am
@MontereyJack,
If I may digress . . .

Hi username! I just want to let you know that the Boston gang is gathering on
Feb 8 in honor of Merry Andrew's departure for Hawaii.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:25 am
@Letty,
I remember that there was a thread about people giving directions, and i wrote a silly little story of a southerner giving a Yankee directions, sort of like . . .

" . . . then you turn and go up there by where Judge Stevenson sold that wood lot? Only that old boy didn't timber it, so the Judge deducted a fee and took it back, an' then tried to close the road, but the county wouldn't let him . . . "

Something like that, and you came on and posted that it sounded just like your grandfather. I remember the occasion very well, and that's the first time i saw you at Abuzz.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:35 am
hi, George, cool, is there a thread going with plans for the 8th--I know from experience we require an expansive amount of planning before we settle in on time and place. MA, being the life of the gatherings at John Harvard's and the China Pearl, will be missed.
George

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:07 pm
@MontereyJack,
On the "Psst Boston" thread, we start talking about it here.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 04:42 am
@Setanta,
I remember now, Setanta. It was my daddy who loved to be obtuse when folks asked him directions. My older sister reminded me.