"Just Because He's Black"

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:51 am
From an article in the Washington Post, dated May 26, 2005, reporting Census Bureau data on voter turnout in the 2004 election:

Quote:
The agency also found that turnout rates were closely correlated to a voter's age. A little more than 73 percent of those between 65 and 74 said they voted, the highest rate for any age group. Those between the ages of 18 and 24 had the lowest, with 47 percent reported going to the polls.

Poll exit data from November 4, 2008, showed that in the age range 18-29, 66% voted for Obama, as compared to 32% voting for McCain (the other two percent was distributed among the other four people on the ballot). That strongly implies that a higher turnout would have given Obama an even bigger edge.

From the same newspaper article linked above:

Quote:
The bureau reported that women turned out at a slightly higher rate (65 percent) than men (62 percent). It found that non-Hispanic white citizens voted in proportionately higher numbers (67 percent) than African Americans (60 percent), Hispanics (47 percent) and Asians (44 percent). The agency said turnout rates increased from the 2000 election among whites (by five percentage points) and blacks (by three), but held steady for Hispanics and Asians.

Again, based on November 4, 2008 exit polls: Obama beat McCain among black voters by 95% to 4%. Among Hispanic voters, he beat him 67% to 31%. Among Asian voters, he beat him 62% to 35%. Once again, this data suggests that a higher voter turnout would have increased Obama's margin of victory.

Therefore, Brandon, this statement by you:

Quote:
I cannot see why Obama's popularity among people who didn't vote, but did have a preference, would be substantially different from his popularity among people who did vote.

. . . suggests that you're not paying attention. In fact, the demographic break down of the vote strongly suggests that Obama's popularity among people who didn't vote was substantially different from the perference expressed by the actual votes cast.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:25 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
And I'll say again that the idea that a huge percentage of the voters who voted for McCain now wish they had voted for Obama is ludicrous wishful thinking.

What? When did I ever suggest they would? Way to bring up a straw man and ignore the actual argument at hand. Read again what I actually wrote:

"After all, she is the living embodiment of the kind of McCain voter that you're basically saying doesn't exist: would have preferred McCain but is good with Obama too, for now."

Would have preferred McCain, yes. I'm not disputing that and never have. But are nevertheless not feeling "unhappy" with Obama.

Again: you posited 46% of the population was "unhappy" with Obama's inauguration, because they voted for McCain, so they must be. This is demonstrably false. The polls disprove you, and real life examples like Phoenix here disprove you.

I think what I said or meant to say was that they weren't thrilled with it, not that they were crying into their pillows.
genoves

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:07 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon 9000- Setanta lead you to a good article but that article is incomplete.
Wait until more data is released. You will discover that Obama did not win the majority of white votes.

President Obama won because Hispanics believed his promise that he would "take care" of the immigration question. That remains to be seen. Obama may indeed take care of Hispanics and, by doing so, alienate whites who mistakenly voted for him.

President Obama won because of a very large turnout by blacks. I think you know, Brandon 9000, that blacks are so hung up by color that they would vote Minister Farrakhan for president. They can be forgiven for thier bias given the fact that they have only been emancipated for 144 years and have not yet received the proper restitution for the suffering of their great grandparents.
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:44 pm
@genoves,
The bottom line is that no matter who they were and what demographic they fit in, more voters turned out for Obama. It is meaningless to discuss who they were. It is every citizen's own prerogative to vote. If you wanna cry foul, go cry foul elsewhere. Obama won fair and square.

It wasn't about his skin color. If you wanna whine about blacks voting for Obama, remember the African-American community typically votes for white democrats every election. To evaluate your claim you'd need to see what percentage of blacks that normally vote republican voted for Obama. Even that would need to be compared against the figures for the numbers of Republicans in general who ended up voting for Obama (and there were scores of them).

The claims of black immunity are totally bogus. If you examine the dialog of the campaigns prior to election you see.

From the left - Talks about Obama's policies, and ideas on issues.

From the right - Questions of "who" and "what" he is. Is he a terrorist? A citizen? A communist?

T
K
Obviously not immune to criticisms.
nimh

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:57 pm
@genoves,
genoves wrote:
President Obama won because of a very large turnout by blacks.

Obama would have won with a regular turnout by blacks too. Run the numbers.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:59 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

genoves wrote:
President Obama won because of a very large turnout by blacks.

Obama would have won with a regular turnout by blacks too. Run the numbers.

It's Possum back again

Cycloptichorn
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Damnit... You're right.

T
K
O
genoves

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:08 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO- Do you have the figures on the vote totals for whites in the election?

I don't but I will bet you that more whites voted for McCain than for Obama.

What does that mean?

Look at a breakdown of income per household in the USA.

You will find that Whites have a slightly lower household income than Asians but a substantially higher household income than Blacks or Hispanics.

PRIMER ON HOW TO WIN AN ELECTION!!!

BE A POPULIST AND TAKE FROM THOSE WHO HAVE TO GIVE TO THOSE WHO HAVE LESS.

l. Run an African-American. Blacks will vote for anybody who is black.

2. Promise Hispanics that they will all be made legal soon.

If you have read the most perceptive book on America by a most learned foreignor---De TOCQUEVILLE--"Dwemocracy in America"

"If ever the free instituions of America are destroyed, that event may be attributed to the unlimited authority of the majority"

You should not rob Peter to pay Paul but when there are more Pauls in the voting electorate than Peters--Peters are out of luck.

One might say--"tough"--majority rules--and then fall into the same trap that the Italians did when they instituted exorbitant taxes to feed the welfare state and thereby encouraged many to leave Italy or to operate in the underground economy.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Why do your testicles freeze up in fear when I post, Clyclo? I would think that a PHD like you from the Communist State of Berkeley cou ld destroy me with your massive knowledge.

I think that you are a fraud who slinks back into his cave whenever you are challenged. Don't you have even a shred of Intellectual Dignity? Are you completely unable to defend your Marxist ideas in an open forum?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:17 pm
@genoves,
genoves wrote:

Why do your testicles freeze up in fear when I post, Clyclo? I would think that a PHD like you from the Communist State of Berkeley cou ld destroy me with your massive knowledge.

I think that you are a fraud who slinks back into his cave whenever you are challenged. Don't you have even a shred of Intellectual Dignity? Are you completely unable to defend your Marxist ideas in an open forum?

You misunderstand, predictably. See, I hold you in contempt. That is to say, you are not worth conversing with on any topic. Even the act of typing these words lowers myself and I'll have to undergo a cleansing ritual later on.

In order to cut down on those, I'm not responding to anything else you write. Saves me time and robs you of any feeling of importance you might have from conversing with one of your betters.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:21 pm
@nimh,
You aer obviously incapable of handling more than one idea at a time. I posted that Obama won NOT ONLY because of a large turnout of blacks but also because of a large turnout of Hispanics. As a populist president, he promised them legal status eventually.

Now, nimh, please tell me that the majority of whites voted for Obama.

They did not.

President Obama's victory was a victory won by a populist who appealed LARGELY to the masses. Fine for the masses but disasterous for the country.

Why?

Because it appears that Obama is going to reprise the NEW DEAL and it will be a failure.

Amity Shlaes--in "The Forgotten Man" writes:

"...businesses decided to wait Roosevelt out, hold on to their cash, and invest in future years. Yet Roosevelt retaliated by intoducing a tax--the undistributed profits tax--to press the money out of them.
Such forays prevented recovery and took the country into the depression within the depression of 1937 and 1938"

EVEN THE LEFT WING MAGAZINE-THE NATION NOTED:

"The Forgotten Man is nothing less than an attempt to reclaim the history of the 1930's for the free market. Shlaes is, of course,CORRECT THAT THE NEW DEAL FAILED TO RESTORE ECONOMIC HEALTH"

But President Obama need not worry. When he is in his second term and has loaded the country up with failed programs a la FDR, he only needs to blame President George W. Bush.
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:29 pm
@genoves,
Quote:
You aer obviously incapable of handling more than one idea at a time. I posted that Obama won NOT ONLY because of a large turnout of blacks but also because of a large turnout of Hispanics. As a populist president, he promised them legal status eventually.

Is English your native language? If the Hispanics to whom you refer were not "legal," they could not have voted for Obama. Logic is not one of your long suits, is it?
genoves

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:37 pm
@Setanta,
Poor Setanta--Do you know anything about Chicago and its voting habits? When Kennedy was elected, there was a river ward in which the Democratic Candidate got more votes than the number of registered voters.

If you don't know that "illegals" voted under false pretenses, Setanta, I will look up the evidence for you.

You have probably never heard of Acorn, have you?
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:41 pm
@genoves,
Quote:
If you don't know that "illegals" voted under false pretenses, Setanta, I will look up the evidence for you.

You do that, genius. And while you're at it, come up with credible evidence that that made any significant difference among the 133,000,000 ballots cast.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:43 pm
@genoves,
genoves wrote:
You have probably never heard of Acorn, have you?

is that like popcorn, i like popcorn
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:43 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Damnit... You're right.

T
K
O

Seems like it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:45 pm
I beg your pardon. There were 131,237,603 votes cast. Given that Obama polled 9,522,083 more votes than did McCain, your task, Bright Boy, will be to demonstrate voter fraud on that scale.

Your paranoid fantasies and partisan hysteria prove nothing. I'll ignore anything other than hard evidence.
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:52 pm
Based on exit polls, Hispanics were 9% of those voting on November 4th. Of 131,000,000+ votes, that means 11,790,000+ votes. Those same exit polls show that 67% of Hispanic voters voted for Obama, and 31% voted for McCain. That means that 7,899,300+ Hispanic votes for Obama. Not only does that fail the 9,500,000+ threshold to show significant voter fraud in favor of Obama, you would need to demonstrate that almost all of those Hispanic voters were illegal aliens practicing voter fraud, Einstein.

You lose . . . no surprise there.
maporsche

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:54 pm
@Setanta,
I think he's trying to point out that if not one single black or hispanic person voted then McCain would have won. Which is probably true.

However, it is pointless to point that out because blacks/hispanics are allowed to vote, and history has shown that they do tend to vote democratic rather than republican.

To Diest's point, you'd have to measure the number of blacks who defected from the republican camp and you'd have to make a pretty big assumption that they defected because of Obama and not because of the republicans abandoning their values over the alst 8 years.

You'd also have to look at the number of new, 1st time voters and make the same assumptions on why they are voting. I would bet though that there was a larger increase (percentage wise) in new 1st time voters who are black than you saw in any other population segment, but not enough to tip the scales.
djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:55 pm
@Setanta,
i heard that they bussed in the entire country of mexico on election day, and got them all fake voter cards, and that's how they won

oh yeah, they had help from the aliens and the lizard people too

and the illuminati

and the NWO

and some magic pixie dust