"Just Because He's Black"

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:36 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Please, tell us. I can't wait!
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:03 am
@genoves,
The NYT, the Washington Post, NBC and CBS are media outlets with a liberal tilt. Of course they will be very judicious about criticizing Obama.........at first.

Quote:
It is not racist to prefer the political solutions given by Dr. Thomas Sowell over those of President Obama. Those men are both black. But many will cry out--"racism"., "racism", in order to defend one of the president's pet projects. Since the charge of racism, due,no doubt to our politically correct education system, is the most horrendous charge that can be made against anyone( especially those who have to work in any job where one encounters black people and their strong supporters), debate is effectively cut off for many who would want to speak out.

I think that in the beginning, you may be right. What has happened in the US has been a protracted evolution, with black people being considered less then human a couple of centuries ago, to having a black person as the head of state.

In time though, as this evolution progresses, Obama will be seen, more and more, and simply a President who happens to be black, rather than a black president.

Since the sixties, and the civil right movement, there are some vociferous black people who blamed their problems on "whitey". It was very easy to pass off ones' failures on society, and mainstream white, liberal society fed into it.

Personally, I think that Obama will do much to counter this phenomenon. We have here a person who has proven the American dream........................that anyone who works hard, and has the brains and foresight, can achieve his life's goal, no matter what the color of his skin.

It has been a long fought evolution, and it is not over. There are those who will still shout, "racism", every time there is criticism lobbed at Obama. Hey, there are ignoramuses of every class, race, gender, nationality, or political persuasion.

Manipulation has always been an extremely effective way of diverting people from seeing the truth of a matter. The point is, that we have moved forward, and eventually these ignorant, (and self serving) criticisms will abate.
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:07 am
Your prejudices are showing through. The New York Times and the Washington Post are "liberal" only in the narrow context of what passes for a political spectrum within the United States. CBS News can be considered, only within that context, to be "liberal," but certainly not NBC News.
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:10 am
@Brandon9000,
I would say that it is unknowable, for exactly the reasons i have given. It would not be, however, unreasonable to say that more of the electorate who cast ballots wanted him than they did Baby Bush. You did not limit yourself to making snide remarks about only the electorate who cast ballots, however, you set yourself up for this by making an absolute statement about what proportion of the American people were "unhappy" or "less than thrilled" with the inauguration of Obama.

Once again, you know this, so your little dance here just becomes more and more pathetic.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:14 am
@Setanta,
Set- From my experience, I have found those media outlets tilting to the liberal side. I suppose that how one perceives the continuum, depends on where one stands in that continuum. That's one woman's opinion.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:28 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I would say that it is unknowable, for exactly the reasons i have given. It would not be, however, unreasonable to say that more of the electorate who cast ballots wanted him than they did Baby Bush. You did not limit yourself to making snide remarks about only the electorate who cast ballots, however, you set yourself up for this by making an absolute statement about what proportion of the American people were "unhappy" or "less than thrilled" with the inauguration of Obama.

Once again, you know this, so your little dance here just becomes more and more pathetic.

We know that 46% of the people who voted in the election voted for McCain. It would seem to me pretty reasonable to say that this is about the percentage of the people in the country who have any preference at all who wanted McCain. Among the adults in America who had some preference for one candidate over another, the subset who voted are probably a reasonable statistical sampling. I have frequently heard it said that half the people or over half the people wanted Al Gore in the year 2000. This is no different.

If almost half the people who vote vote for a certain candidate, it doesn't strike me as a wild flight of fancy to say that it's close to typical of the whole population, excluding those with no preference. I cannot see why Obama's popularity among people who didn't vote, but did have a preference, would be substantially different from his popularity among people who did vote.
maporsche

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:38 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

And i am pointing out that you cannot possibly know that almost half the country is "unhappy" or "not thrilled." That's my point, you know it, and no matter how you squirm, you cannot avoid it.

I agree that it's unknowable how much of the country is thrilled or not thrilled.

But just to provide a counter balance to Phoenix. I voted for Obama and I am not/was not thrilled yesterday. Yesterday was a day like any other. I was no more happy yesterday than I was the day before or than I am today.

Obama starting his job was a complete non-event for me. Now, if he actually does some good, like I hope he will, then some days will be better than others...but not yesterday.

So, add me to the not-thrilled category...but don't add me to the unhappy one. There should be a category for 'eh!' or 'indifferent'.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:43 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Yesterday was a day like any other. I was no more happy yesterday than I was the day before or than I am today.

Obama starting his job was a complete non-event for me.
Now, if he actually does some good, like I hope he will, then some days will be better than others...but not yesterday.

So, add me to the not-thrilled category...but don't add me to the unhappy one. There should be a category for 'eh!' or 'indifferent'.

I'll drink to that Cool
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:51 am
@maporsche,
Just call me a "cockeyed optimist". I am a believer in the old saying that a "new broom sweeps clean". Obama appears to have a level of intelligence, character and maturity (despite his age) that was sorely lacking in our recent presidents.

Actually, I am a little excited about the whole thing. I really WANT him to succeed!
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:54 am
@Phoenix32890,

I don't know of any Americans that want him to fail.
gungasnake

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:59 am
@littlek,
Forget about the idea of a black man in the whitehouse.

The problem is not Barack Obama. The problem is baggage management.

The problem is George Soros, Jeremiah Wright, Bill Ayers, that Chicago machine which is the closest thing we have in our modern world to Tammany Hall, the envirowhacks who STILL are talking about spending gigantic sums of YOUR money to fix a problem which doesn't exist, and on and on. It's all the infernal baggage Obama brings with.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:14 am
@H2O MAN,

On the other hand... most Americans want many of O boy's planned polices to fail passage.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:24 am
@gungasnake,
I would agree with you, except for one thing. George Bush, who stood solidly in the Republican camp, spent money like it was going out of style.

From the time that he was elected, Obama appears to be retreating from his leftest past, and, being pragmatic, realizes that the only way that he will succeed if he veers more to the center. He is not a dummy, and won't screw up his presidency by pandering to a small section of the Democratic party.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:39 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I would agree with you, except for one thing. George Bush, who stood
solidly in the Republican camp, spent money like it was going out of style.

This spending was mostly done at the request of and with the blessings of democrats.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:46 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O- I really prefer not to play "gotcha". There was a lot of wrong in the last administration, no matter WHAT the cause. That era is over.

We have a new administration, which has not had the opportunity to prove itself yet. I say the we need to see just how effective the Obama team will be, and then we can decide whether we are happy with it or not.

Give the guy a freakin' chance, for Pete's sake!
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:48 am
@Phoenix32890,

Fine, focus on today & tomorrow and quit bringing up GW Bush!
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:08 am
@H2O MAN,
I really don't think that I have mentioned Bush much, but if that is your perception, so be it. Onwards and upwards! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:27 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
This spending was mostly done at the request of and with the blessings of democrats.

Bullshit. The Republicans controlled the Congress from 1995 through 2007.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:34 am
@Brandon9000,
You have a real problem acknowledging the flaw in your argument--which must be partisan pig-headedness, because i know you're not stupid. Whether or not the less than 46% of the electorate who voted for McCain are representative of the rest of the population, that does not alter that you simply cannot know who is or is not "happy" about Obama's inauguration. Your thesis is predicated upon an assumption that McCain's failure will make all those who voted for him unhappy--and you can't know that. As Habibi and others have pointed out, and as Phoenix represents an example, plenty of voters who chose McCain can reasonably still be happy that Obama was elected, or at the least, not unhappy.

As for the representative nature of McCain's electorate, exit polls consistently show that those least likely to vote are young people--a group in which Obama scored significantly higher than did McCain. Obama beat McCain in every age group below the age of 65.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:46 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
And I'll say again that the idea that a huge percentage of the voters who voted for McCain now wish they had voted for Obama is ludicrous wishful thinking.

What? When did I ever suggest they would? Way to bring up a straw man and ignore the actual argument at hand. Read again what I actually wrote:

"After all, she is the living embodiment of the kind of McCain voter that you're basically saying doesn't exist: would have preferred McCain but is good with Obama too, for now."

Would have preferred McCain, yes. I'm not disputing that and never have. But are nevertheless not feeling "unhappy" with Obama.

Again: you posited 46% of the population was "unhappy" with Obama's inauguration, because they voted for McCain, so they must be. This is demonstrably false. The polls disprove you, and real life examples like Phoenix here disprove you.