@djjd62,
Too much, the Magic Bus ! ! !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:15 pm
@maporsche,
They're allowed to vote ? ! ? ! ?

That's mighty goddamned white of you.

In fact, from Reconstruction through the administration of Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., Blacks overwhelmingly voted Republican. After all, Lincoln was the first Republican President. When Woodrow Wilson was President, the first Democratic President in 16 years, he issued an executive order which prohibited black women from being seated next to white women in government offices--oh yeah, there's a real civil rights activist. Blacks did not begin to vote for Democrats in reliably large numbers until Franklin Roosevelt became President.

But that's alright, i'm used to people just making up their facts to support an argument.
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

They're allowed to vote ? ! ? ! ?

That's mighty goddamned white of you.

Calm down Set. maporsche isn't taking some paternal stance over minorities here. He's just pointing out how ridiculous it is to single out those communities as if it was unfair that they had their voice heard. Of course they have the right to vote, and that is the point, people like geneves (possum) whine about these communities and their voting trends.

If they could not vote, yeah, I bet McCain would have won. The point is to have bigots like the possum embarrass themselves by weighing out the merits of having McCain win versus all citizens being able to vote. That dance is quite entertaining.

No need to nitpick words here. Map, did I get you right?

T
K
O
roger

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:51 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

nimh wrote:

Are you purposefully ignoring Phoenix's posts? After all, she is the living embodiment of the kind of McCain voter that you're basically saying doesn't exist: would have preferred McCain but is good with Obama too, for now. According to the polls, there's a lot of people like her. Independents and even a fair share of Republicans.

Just because you can't conceive of how anyone could vote for one candidate but nevertheless could be pleased with the other too, for whatever of many potential reasons, doesn't mean they don't exist. In fact, they're right in front of you. Sticking your fingers in your ears and just repeating what you'd said before doesn't make them go away.

And I'll say again that the idea that a huge percentage of the voters who voted for McCain now wish they had voted for Obama is ludicrous wishful thinking. Any rational person must assume that most of the people who voted for McCain still wish they had won. Many, on the other hand, may celebrate the the orderly, democratic transfer of power.

You just switched decks on him, Brandon. The point is that some who voted for McCain also find Obama acceptable. You are answering as though some who voted for McCain now wish they had voted Obama, instead. Furthermore, this is not an accidental misunderstanding on your part. You've done this before, and no, I'm not backtracking your posts to prove it.
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:57 pm
@roger,
I second.

T
K
O
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:11 pm
@Diest TKO,
Yeah, you got me right.

As I re-read what I wrote, I have a hard time seeing how Set could have gotten so worked up over what I said....oh well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:45 pm
You guys need to tell me who "the possum" is now. That moniker was used for a few years ago for someone who has not posted in a long time. Either you are saying that the possum is back under a new screen name, or you're giving that name to someone else.

I'm calm, btw--i just found the language MP used to be disgusting. I have no grudge against MP, and he and i have taken similar points of view in some threads and defended them. This is no grudge match here.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:48 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You guys need to tell me who "the possum" is now. That moniker was used for a few years ago for someone who has not posted in a long time. Either you are saying that the possum is back under a new screen name, or you're giving that name to someone else.

I'm calm, btw--i just found the language MP used to be disgusting. I have no grudge against MP, and he and i have taken similar points of view in some threads and defended them. This is no grudge match here.

Same person, new name, same lame old troll.

Pretty sure that Possum was a derisive referral to 'massogato'

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

Yeah, that's what i thought. So, are you suggesting that a certain current member (you don't need to name names, i know who you're talking about) is that weenie reborn? It wouldn't surprise me. I wasn't paying sufficient attention to the style to have made that judgment.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:01 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, that's what i thought. So, are you suggesting that a certain current member (you don't need to name names, i know who you're talking about) is that weenie reborn? It wouldn't surprise me. I wasn't paying sufficient attention to the style to have made that judgment.

It seems to be a consensus decision - tipped by OE and confirmed to me by his unkind harassment of blatham on a different thread using knowledge a newcomer wouldn't have.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:56 pm
Re: Whoever it was that mentioned Obama's race being a 'protective coat against criticism' that i read yesterday but now can't find:

Is Margaret Thatcher not criticised just because she is a woman?
On the contrary, she's probably the most controversial prime minister england has ever had. Point proven.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:04 pm
I am still waiting for someone who has the facts. (Setanta gave numbers from a Washington Post article).

Question # 1- How many people voted in November for a presidential candidate?

Question # 2-How many black votes did Obama receive?

Question # 3- How many Hisopanic votes did Obama receive?

Question # 4- How many white votes did Obama receive?

I hold that Obama did not, I repeat, did not get the majority of white votes.

I also hold that 46 or 47 % of the voters DID NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA.

Does anyone have the facts?
mysteryman

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:04 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
To expand on that Miss Wabbit, in the words of Mr. King's "I have a dream" speech, he was elected on the content of his character.

That may be, but it has seemed that legitimate criticism of him has been attacked as being slightly racist.
I read an article in the WSJ by Juan Williams that deals precisely with this issue, let me find it and post the link.
He raises some legitimate concerns and issues about Obama and any criticism of him.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123249791178500439.html
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:06 pm
@mysteryman,
I don't see how that bears on whether or not he were elected on the content of his character.
JTT

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:33 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I don't see how that bears on whether or not he were elected on the content of his character.

Dialectal variation, Set?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:37 pm
@genoves,
Quote:
Marion Berry? Are you serious? Even his black constituents knew what the charges were against him.

Funny that. Who from the Star Chamber dared reveal those?
JTT

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:39 pm
@Woiyo9,
In a nutshell, he did what he wasn't supposed to do and he didn't do what he was supposed to do.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:41 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
Personally, I think that Obama will do much to counter this phenomenon. We have here a person who has proven the American dream........................that anyone who works hard, and has the brains and foresight, can achieve his life's goal, no matter what the color of his skin.

That's a crock of ****, Phoenix, an oft repeated crock but still a crock.
Eorl

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:51 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Personally, I think that Obama will do much to counter this phenomenon. We have here a person who has proven the American dream........................that anyone who works hard, and has the brains and foresight, can achieve his life's goal, no matter what the color of his skin.

That's a crock of ****, Phoenix, an oft repeated crock but still a crock.

Prove it. She said "anyone... can", not "everyone ...will".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:37 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:

Verdict in. I saw it doing that pathetic heart attack routine on Blatham, upon which I made it so that I shall not see it again.