"Just Because He's Black"

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:21 pm
@Brandon9000,
That's not the point, Brandon, and you know it. You continue to say that almost half the people are not happy, are not thrilled, etc. You have no basis for the statement that almost half have any opinion whatever on the subject, and using the votes for McCain, fewer than 60,000,000, doesn't make it so, because that's less than 20% of the population.

That's the point, as you very well know.
JTT

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:34 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
along with a VP with the personality of Daisy Mae from Dogpatch?

Not fair, GW, even as a cartoon character, Daisy Mae had it all over Sarah Palin in every way possible. She would also have made a better VP candidate.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:43 pm
@Brandon9000,
Are you purposefully ignoring Phoenix's posts? After all, she is the living embodiment of the kind of McCain voter that you're basically saying doesn't exist: would have preferred McCain but is good with Obama too, for now. According to the polls, there's a lot of people like her. Independents and even a fair share of Republicans.

Just because you can't conceive of how anyone could vote for one candidate but nevertheless could be pleased with the other too, for whatever of many potential reasons, doesn't mean they don't exist. In fact, they're right in front of you. Sticking your fingers in your ears and just repeating what you'd said before doesn't make them go away.
Eorl

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:33 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Our family is divided on partisan lines, but all the other conservative can really be proud of what happened here, the history that is being made. While much of the carnivale going on in DC is over the top, I am very deeply moved.

I have one relative who can not be excited about Obama's win. She says if it was a conservative black man, she would be. She feels that appreciating his election 'just because he's black' would in and of itself be racist (I know we have plenty of people here who share her sentiment). While I understand where she's coming from, I know in my gut that it isn't a truism.

Can anyone help me sort it all out? It has to do, in my mind, with the imbalance of power and the long hard history that got us where we are now. It's not just because he's black, it's because we, WE, came together and voted for him. And we did that less than one lifetime away from the passage of civil rights.

I think you (dare I say "we") are celebrating that he DIDN'T NOT get elected because he's black. That's not racist. Does that work?
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:21 pm
It is clear to anyone who has followed politics closely in the past thirty years that President Obama will be the most successful president of the last sixty years.

Why? It is very simple. Any attempt to disagree with his plans in any area will be labeled as RACISM.

President Obama is invulnerable. There are millions of Americans who voted against him and would like to be heard in letters to the editor, or letters to magazines or open forums but will not speak out because they will be labeled racists. Obama's black skin becomes a cloak of invulnerability.

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:35 pm
@genoves,
genoves wrote:

Obama's black skin becomes a cloak of invulnerability.

Not exactly...
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:51 pm
@genoves,
obviously not genoves... Plenty of people have voiced dissent and not been labeled racist. Only the racists are getting labeled racist. They are labeled by the public, not Obama.

T
K
O
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:41 am
@genoves,
Thats such a load of ****.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:31 am
@Diest TKO,
It is obvious that Diest TKO does not read the New York Times or the Washington Post(the most influential newspapers in the country) or watch NBC or CBS. He will be hard pressed to find that media strongly criticizing President Obama.

A review of those media's comments just before the inaugurations of the Bush Presidencies, and the accession to power of Ronald Reagan will show a much more questioning press corps.

It is not racist to prefer the political solutions given by Dr. Thomas Sowell over those of President Obama. Those men are both black. But many will cry out--"racism"., "racism", in order to defend one of the president's pet projects. Since the charge of racism, due,no doubt to our politically correct education system, is the most horrendous charge that can be made against anyone( especially those who have to work in any job where one encounters black people and their strong supporters), debate is effectively cut off for many who would want to speak out.

This is why I stated that President Obama is wearing a cloak of invulenerability. Some hold that blackness is a curse. He will find it is a blessing.
aidan

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:57 am
@genoves,
Genoves said:
Quote:
This is why I stated that President Obama is wearing a cloak of invulenerability. Some hold that blackness is a curse. He will find it is a blessing.

Why didn't blackness work as a cloak of invulnerability for Marion Barry or Jesse Jackson then?

If Obama's programs and initiatives are passed, it'll be because they're worthwhile. If he's a successful president, it won't be because he's black and everyone's afraid to cross him and be termed a racist. Even if that were a possibility, and everything he suggests is passed and he is kowtowed to in that way - if he doesn't produce results- he won't be viewed successfully. If anything, he'll be judged more harshly.
There is a contingent just waiting for him to make the first mistake and then ultimately fail, and black or not- aint nobody gonna be shy about pointing that out to or about him - believe me.
Do you live in America? (I ask because it seems like you have somewhat of a distorted or misinformed view of just exactly how willing most people -especially in partisan politics- are to speak their minds and say exactly what they think).
genoves

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:17 am
@aidan,
Marion Berry? Are you serious? Even his black constituents knew what the charges were against him.

Jet Stream Jesse? He has become a joke even amongst his own people. Ever since his two sons were given a lucrative Budweiser dealership after Jesse "negotiated" with Budweiser, people know who he is.

If President Obama's programs and initiatives are passed, it will be because the Democrats control the House and the Senate.

He really doesn't have to produce results. If you are up on your reading, you will find that the left wingers in the media have ALREADY made excuses for him saying that the problems left by the previous administration are very difficult to solve and will take a long time( like two terms?????)

People can speak their minds???? Really??? Go to the Letters to the Editor Pages in the New York Times and/or the Washington Post(the trend setters among papers) and see just how many critical letters you will find concerning President Obama's policies.
roger

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:25 am
@genoves,
Race is really central to your being, isn't it?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:35 am
@genoves,
Um yeah - about Marion Barry and Jesse Jackson - that's exactly my point. Where's their magic cloak? I thought it was all only about blackness and any black politician could do anything s'he wanted and be untouchable.

In terms of the letters - hell0 - he hasn't even been in office twenty four hours. Maybe some people are waiting to see what he does before they start either crucifying him or endowing him with superhero powers.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:51 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That's not the point, Brandon, and you know it. You continue to say that almost half the people are not happy, are not thrilled, etc. You have no basis for the statement that almost half have any opinion whatever on the subject, and using the votes for McCain, fewer than 60,000,000, doesn't make it so, because that's less than 20% of the population.

That's the point, as you very well know.

If only 6% of the population had voted in the election, but 2.9% voted for McCain, would you say that only 2.9% of the entire population wanted McCain? You're not discussing the fact that some percentage of the people who chose not to vote at all also wanted McCain.

46% of those who voted voted for McCain. To comment further, one would need to know the statistical breakdown of preferences among those who didn't vote at all, but they certainly weren't all for Obama. Some fraction of those who didn't vote preferred McCain to Obama, and some fraction had little or no preference. My point is that the election in terms of popular vote was sort of close, and so it's safe to assume that millions and millions of people are, in fact, not overjoyed that Obama was elected. The idea I pick up from his supporters that all mankind rejoices at this great event is not true.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:54 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Are you purposefully ignoring Phoenix's posts? After all, she is the living embodiment of the kind of McCain voter that you're basically saying doesn't exist: would have preferred McCain but is good with Obama too, for now. According to the polls, there's a lot of people like her. Independents and even a fair share of Republicans.

Just because you can't conceive of how anyone could vote for one candidate but nevertheless could be pleased with the other too, for whatever of many potential reasons, doesn't mean they don't exist. In fact, they're right in front of you. Sticking your fingers in your ears and just repeating what you'd said before doesn't make them go away.

And I'll say again that the idea that a huge percentage of the voters who voted for McCain now wish they had voted for Obama is ludicrous wishful thinking. Any rational person must assume that most of the people who voted for McCain still wish they had won. Many, on the other hand, may celebrate the the orderly, democratic transfer of power.
Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:57 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
If only 6% of the population had voted in the election, but 2.9% voted for McCain, would you say that only 2.9% of the entire population wanted McCain? You're not discussing the fact that some percentage of the people who chose not to vote at all also wanted McCain.

No, i'm not discussing that, of course, because it is not something which we can know. And i am pointing out that you cannot possibly know that almost half the country is "unhappy" or "not thrilled." That's my point, you know it, and no matter how you squirm, you cannot avoid it.

Quote:
The idea I pick up from his supporters that all mankind rejoices at this great event is not true.

This is rather a straw man, since i haven't seen anyone in this discussion make such a claim. However, as a general statement, which you throw out there (you, and no one else), it certainly cannot be considered true. No more than your constant harping about "almost half" can be considered true. Which is my point, which has been my point all along, and which you know, and which you have known all along.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:04 am
What percentage of the American people voted for Al Gore in 2000? Do you feel entitled to say that more or less half of American adults wanted him, or do you label it as unknowable?
djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:14 am
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:21 am
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:30 am
@genoves,
Quote:

He really doesn't have to produce results. If you are up on your reading, you will find that the left wingers in the media have ALREADY made excuses for him saying that the problems left by the previous administration are very difficult to solve and will take a long time( like two terms?????)

Do you know what Bush did?