"Just Because He's Black"

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:18 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I assume that many of the people who voted for McCain wish that he had been elected. Any other assumption would be foolish. Everyone hasn't secretly realized that you were right all along, and quietly modified their views to concur with yours.

Good Lord Brandon, you can have preferred that candidate X were elected and yet still be glad with candidate Y. Because he seems good too. Because you can see his virtues even if he wasn't your top choice. Because you're impressed by his intelligence or the beneficial effect he's having on people's confidence. Or yeah, because you're proud to be an American at a time it is the first majority-white country to elect a black person as President.

Just because you think one candidate was the best doesnt need to mean the other makes you miserable. You can be sure that Phoenix hasn't "quietly modified" her views to concur with ours, or that she still wouldn't rather have had McCain. But she - and according to the polls, many other independents and even Republicans too - nevertheless feels good about Obama right now.

True, myself I'm far enough to the left that I'd never be glad with any Republican. But most people aren't as far out as you or me, Brandon. Not even most Republicans or Democrats are. They don't see the choice as some binary good or bad, in black and white. So no, it's not "almost half" of Americans who are "unhappy" today.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:20 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I think his race was VERY MUCH the reason he was elected. But we've discussed that quite often already.

Obama could not have been elected without the white vote, some of it Southern. Do you think America is now a country free of racial prejudice? Do you think Obama was voted into office because white Americans feel guilty about slavery? After 200 years of voting for the old, rich white guys we just wanted to see a new face in the Oval Office? Didn't you vote for him, maporsche, because you saw a smart guy with leadership qualities?

Didn't it also have to do with the Republicans making a mess of the last eight years and then putting up McCain who looked like he had one foot in the grave along with a VP with the personality of Daisy Mae from Dogpatch?

Obama is not president because he is black- he is president in spite of it. In a way, I am thankful to the Republican party for making it happen.
maporsche

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:22 pm
@Green Witch,
You're comparing Obama to McCain. I said that in the general election Obama won on IDEAS.

Yes, I voted for Obama as opposed to McCain.

The primaries though were a different story.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:25 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

...So no, it's not "almost half" of Americans who are "unhappy" today.

Then let's say that almost half are not thrilled.
nimh

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:28 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
The studies have been done and most voted for O boy because they were sure he was black

You know you're spouting bullshit, right?

Exit polls

Race of Candidates Was...

2% - Most Important Factor
7% - Important Factor
10% - Minor Factor
80% - Not a Factor

Among the 80% of Americans for whom the race of the candidates was not a factor in their decision whom to vote for, 51% voted for Obama and 46% for McCain.

(Wait a minute! What am I doing here? .... gemmeouttahere..)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:30 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

So in this case, race matters to you.

You ignore all the other great accomplishments of other black Americans as insignificant but focus only on this election to make you less of a racist today than you were yesterday?

Yep, we still have issues.

Yes, and you are still half a moron.
Woiyo9

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:59 pm
@kickycan,
That's the best you can come up with, you asshole? Rolling Eyes
Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:09 pm
@Woiyo9,
Well I'm with mismi - your comments make no sense. How do you get an entire history of not mentioning other black individuals contributions when no one else really mentioned it either? Just very odd your conclusion with no basis whatsoever.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:12 pm
@maporsche,
I wouldn't entirely disagree or agree on this - it is possible and I could see this - although there are many people who just intensely dislike Hillary Clinton.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:15 pm
@Green Witch,
I can still see this happening even with a majority of white voters - many white voters love the idea of electing a black president.
Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:17 pm
@Linkat,
I should say - I don't think this is the case, but it could be factor - you don't like Hillary that much, we get to make history by electing a black president - it is feasible, but there is no way to know for sure.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:19 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
Jackson eventually imploded with his "Hymietown" remarks, but even if that hadn't happened I can't imagine anyone - liberal, white, black or otherwise - putting him in the same category as Obama.

Good grief, no. I would not have supported Jackson under any circumstances. The differences in intelligence and character between Jackson and Obama are so glaring that they could not be spoken about in the same breath.

Obama is an intelligent gentleman. Jackson is a race baiting lowlife.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:27 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
Just because you think one candidate was the best doesnt need to mean the other makes you miserable. You can be sure that Phoenix hasn't "quietly modified" her views to concur with ours, or that she still wouldn't rather have had McCain. But she - and according to the polls, many other independents and even Republicans too - nevertheless feels good about Obama right now.

I am in a very peculiar position. I am very conservative economically, and extremely liberal socially. As I have said before, there is no candidate that would satisfy me totally.

There were a lot of things about Obama that I liked, but I felt more secure with McCain on issues of national security, which I considered a priority.

Over the last few weeks, by what I have heard him say, I have become more comfortable with the way that Obama would deal with security issues. On many of the social issues, like stem cell research etc., I was always with Obama.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:30 pm
@Brandon9000,
We've been through this before, but you don't seem to want to give up. McCain got under 46% of the vote, with a turn-out of 62.5%. That's between 28% and 29% of eligible voters voting for McCain. Leaving aside that you have no basis for saying that McCain voters "are not thrilled," just less than 60,000,000 voters voted for McCain, which is under 20% of the population of the nation.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about . . . not that that has ever stopped you in the past.
kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:34 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

That's the best you can come up with, you asshole? Rolling Eyes

I dumbed it down, as I realized that my audience was a brainless tool.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:34 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

We've been through this before, but you don't seem to want to give up. McCain got under 46% of the vote, with a turn-out of 62.5%. That's between 28% and 29% of eligible voters voting for McCain. Leaving aside that you have no basis for saying that McCain voters "are not thrilled," just less than 60,000,000 voters voted for McCain, which is under 20% of the population of the nation.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about . . . not that that has ever stopped you in the past.

Almost half of the people who voted, voted for McCain. I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption that people are not thrilled to see someone they voted against sworn in. Would you be thrilled to see McCain sworn in?
Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:53 pm
@Brandon9000,
Well some people are just not so narrowed minded that is all. You make it sound black and white (great pun huh) - whereas for most it is gray. I don't agree 100% with all of McCain's viewpoints, but I voted for him because I felt I agreed with more and felt more in line with his economic policies and some other things. However, there are some issues I agree with Obama.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:04 pm
@kickycan,
What audience? You and your member?
kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:09 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

What audience? You and your member?

Wow. Pathetic. Smart retorts are definitely not your strength. You should just give up and go back to being an annoying little whiny bitch. THAT is your strength.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:49 pm
Quote:
Intrepid wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

"We" didn't come together to vote for him. Almost half of "we" voted against him.

Sorry for your luck

Don't be, it's democracy. My intention was to point out the ludicrous assumption implicit in the quotation that everyone is happy about today. Almost half of the country isn't.

But this is my point, really. Regardless of how you cut the winning slice (boy does this sound familiar, by the way), most of the people I know who voted for McCain are still appreciative of the historical significance of this election - in a good, healthy way.
0 Replies