GIVING THE DEVIL HIS DUE

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:10 am
I've tried to avoid political threads of late, because i got sick of the hatefulness, and, of course, you can't convince the loonies of anything--their minds are made up. This includes right and left, this includes gun nuts and 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

I think this merits being said, and i don't care if those who obsessively hate the man of whom i will speak like it or not.

Mr. Bush has behaved very well, very decently toward Mr. Obama. He has been gracious, welcoming and supportive. For whatever someone's opinion of Mr. Bush may be, it cannot be denied that he has risen to the occasion, and in the process has risen above partisan pettiness. I applaud Mr. Bush's behavior toward Mr. Obama since the election.

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:20 am
Which is more than can be said for our little Johnny.
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:23 am
Howard was less than gracious, huh? Some newly elected Presidents in our country have complained of how they were treated when they arrived at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and many Presidents and their administrations have behaved as though the President-Elect has not existed. But i thought i'd comment on this because Mr. Bush has, to my mind, gone out of his way to be gracious and welcoming.
farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:26 am
@Setanta,
wow, you are fondly recognizing the virus for leaving the host.

Whatever
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:27 am
Don't try to smear what i've written with your partisan prejudices, FM, if you please. That is a grossly unfair characterization.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:29 am
@Setanta,
How about a little levity then, Pathfinder.

You called Rosborne "Roswell" on the Anti Intellectual thread. Razz

How much do we owe the devil, anyway?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:31 am
Acknowledgement, that's all i say we owe the Devil.

Everytime i see Rosborne's name, i think "Roswell" . . . perhaps you are familiar with the loony stories about Roswell, New Mexico and "flying saucers." I mentioned this to Rosborne once, and he didn't object to me addressing him as Roswell.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:34 am
@Setanta,
When you open a thread with your feelings, you must be able to accept the way others see it. You are merely reviewing a mental checklist that leads us up to the inauguration when, if all things go well, we shall be once and for all, free of the Bush family.
His legacy of good governance and fiscal conservatism will , of course ,be with us for several epochs.
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:38 am
@farmerman,
I accept the way others see it. You need to be able to deal with the fact that your remark was not appropriate to the subject of the thread, and i told you as much. This is what you wrote:

Quote:
you are fondly recognizing the virus for leaving the host.

That has absolutely no relevance to the subject of how Mr. Bush has responded to the election of Mr. Obama, nor how he has personally treated Mr. Obama. This thread is not about the fact of or the procedure of Mr. Bush's departure, it only deals with how he has reacted to Mr. Obama and the election of Mr. Obama.

You come out of this sounding like a fanatic, who can't separate his resentments for the policies of Bush and their effect and probable future effect from the man and his personal demeanor.

That's no skin off my nose.
farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:49 am
@Setanta,
I didnt ask for your permission in providing my opinion. I find it kind of funny that, after we all recognize what a disaster his regime has been for the country, someone wishes to applaud him for the way he dances off stage. I am not so easily swayed . I wish him a long life so that he can be a witness to his "review clips" in history.

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:50 am
Quote:
you are fondly recognizing the virus for leaving the host

Ya gotta admit that you can be a great strait man
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:55 am
@farmerman,
I didn't ask your permission for providing my opinion, either, clown. And i don't need your snotty approval to recognize the personal qualities of the man, for however much you despise him. I have not "applauded him for the way he has danced off stage." As i pointed out, this has nothing to do with his departure or the process of his departure--it has only to do with how he had dealt with Mr. Obama. It's not my problem if you are too petty to recognize that he has behaved in a decent and a gracious manner in a situation which did not require him to behave in that manner.
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:56 am
@farmerman,
The fact that you want to make acid and completely irrelevant comments on a thread of mine doesn't make me a straight man (learn to spell).
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:57 am
i have to agree with set on the gracious departing, he'd have nothing to lose by being petulant, it could be one last stab at a legacy, people will say, "if nothing else, he was gracious in the end"
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:58 am
@djjd62,
That's entirely possible, of course, although it'd be a rather paltry addition to a notion of legacy. I get the feeling, and of course have no rational basis for saying so, but, i get the feeling he's being sincere.
djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:00 am
@Setanta,
sincere

and glad to be going i'll bet
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:02 am
@djjd62,
Now there's something that doesn't often get any consideration--i hadn't thought of it myself. I agree that there must be a great sense of relief at that boy's house these days.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:06 am
@Setanta,
Set- I absolutely agree with you. He has shown a graciousness that has not been seen in other government transitions. Whatever his motives, he is leaving as a gentleman.
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:09 am
Thanks, Boss.

I just heard a part of Bush's speech from last night, and it occurs to me that people might think that is what motivated me. It was not. I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks now. I did not hear Bush's speech last night, and only heard a portion of it just now. One of the reasons i'd say Mr. Bush has been sincere in his generous attitude toward Mr. Obama is that the behavior has been consistent over time since the election.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:05 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I find it kind of funny that, after we all recognize what a disaster his regime has been for the country, someone wishes to applaud him for the way he dances off stage.

Ditto. +1.