What should I get my wife for Christmas

chotki

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 03:16 pm
She's intelligent, but also likes clothing, beauty products, etc -- everything I know nothing about. I tried to get jewelry last year but it was not so well-received.

Any and all ideas will be appreciated...just don't suggest a car. Smile

Bella Dea

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 03:52 pm
Jewelry was not well received?

You should know by now whether or not she likes jewlery.

If you don't know what your wife likes, how the hell are we suppose to know?
chotki

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 03:59 pm
@Bella Dea,
I think it was the KIND of jewelry...really I think stuff like that is a matter of taste, and I wound up going out on a limb and getting something I wasn't sure if she had seen before, so that was my mistake.

Anyway, I guess a better question would be what stuff is "in" right now...ie, what are other guys getting their wives, rather than what should I get mine. Better phrased?
mismi

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:13 pm
@chotki,
I'm getting power tools. Seriously -

Has she not dropped hints? I learned a long time ago to write down what I wanted and where to find them - a nice little laundry list. My husband usually gets a few off of it and then one surprise item....one year it was my Ipod Nano, another year, it was a Bose docking station to go with it, another year it was cordless ear phones - there was a theme (electronics) but all were welcome!

What about....a nice hand bag....http://www.fashiontreasures.com/tote_bags_handbags_purses.htm
roger

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:15 pm
@mismi,
How about a new ironing board?
mismi

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:17 pm
@roger,
that would go over like a pregnant pole vaulter. Razz
Setanta

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:20 pm
You could get her a watch, but that would really be a waste . . . after all, there's a clock on the stove . . .
mismi

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:24 pm
@Setanta,
I am pretty sure an ironing board and the reference to the clock on the stove will get you a night on the couch....but who knows? Everybody is different. Razz
spendius

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:25 pm
@Setanta,
A deep fat fryer.

It has been suggested that a pair of socks knitted out of used tea-bags is usable, inexpensive and eco-friendly and thus what a correct politically correct set of principles should be aiming at in these difficult times.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:37 pm
@mismi,
You could be right, mismi.
spendius

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 06:32 pm
@roger,
This is laser politics. It goes where politicians dare not venture.
0 Replies

NickFun

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 06:58 pm
How about a new set of golf clubs? Maybe a power drill?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:05 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:
a night on the couch

anywhere inside the house would be generous
0 Replies

etan

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:13 pm
@mismi,
lol. I like Mismi's idea, most women like handbags. I know what you mean, though, trying to get my wife to drop hints is occasionally like pulling teeth. Luckily she's been going through a few different phases lately, so I have some obvious choices (that she has more or less ordered I procure).

I may get her tickets to see "Wicked," when it's in our area. Don't know if your lady friend likes musicals, tho.

Or there's a Perricone set she's been eyeing that is now on sale... http://www.perriconemd.com/index.cfm?action=shop.viewproduct&product_id=1157 She's been in a moisturizer mood lately, tho.

And I actually think household stuff can be a good gift, if she's into it. My wife has been clamoring for a Kitchenaid mixer... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R609 But then we both do a lot of baking -- pies and muffins and stuff.

Any of this help? When in doubt, give cash... Wink
Mame

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:18 pm
@etan,
I was really wanting a food processor-mixer for years and got one for Christmas one year and I was over the moon... however, years earlier I got a cookie jar with cookie cutters and was not impressed.

Dept store or boutiques certificates, spa certificates, depends on what she's into. You have to think about what she really likes and go from there.

We also give coupons - 12 per year - they're favours that when presented must be redeemed, no ifs, ands or buts. Like: going to a movie, making breakfast in bed, whatever she wants you to do even if you don't like doing it (like dancing, shaving, etc). Over the years ours have gotten funnier, ie. "This coupon entitles you to be right once in 2009"...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:21 pm
@etan,
Kitchenaid mixer, for sure.

You don't know what color she wants.

Give her a card saying you'll go with her to the store and pay for it. Plus something charming between you two - a stone, a shell, a small poem, a big kiss.

(Memories of the too big dark green leather gloves....)
Mame

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Go look in her closet and see what she wears (colour-wise, size-wise, and style-wise) - get her a gift cert to a lingerie shop, flowers once a month for a year, a fab bottle of wine, some perfume, really, the ideas are endless.
0 Replies

margo

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:40 pm
Books, of course!

I've just bought this one - and wopuld love to receive it myself:
http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Deceitful-Deceptive-Downright-Dangerous/dp/1567923372/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228872983&sr=1-3

Code:The Superior Person's Field Guide to Deceitful, Deceptive and Downright Dangerous Language
Mame

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:46 pm
@margo,
Nope!! Gotta disagree with you, margo Smile My ex used to buy me books that he liked but I had no interest in reading and it used to piss me off - i would have appreciated a gift cert to the bookstore instead.
mismi

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:16 pm
@Mame,
Oh the Spa - that is a super idea Mame...a nice massage, a facial...oh la yes!
0 Replies