What should I get my wife for Christmas

ehBeth

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:38 pm
When you see how all the women here like and appreciate very different things (I like tools and books, but not anything girly like lingerie or flowers), I think it might not be bad to talk to your wife about what she'd like.

It's a bit late in the year to get it right for this year - but pay attention to things she points out as appealing over the year next year - write it down if you don't have a good memory for what she likes. Take note of comments she makes about gifts others give and get - you'll get to know her better and this gift thing will get easier over the years.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:48 pm
@Mame,
Nobody picks my books for me, even though I often do tradesies with friends.

I have painful memories of my cousin giving books to my playwright husband - barbara kinsolver, for example, and his eyes glazing. He never read present fiction, and not much passed, though he did pay attention to both news and movies, well grounded from the greeks on. And no, he wouldn't open it because she thought it was good and spent money.

Hey, gloves..

Of course I understand both my x's thing, and the gift giver's.

My gifts now are increasingly sporadic, have little to do with holidays, more to do with what is going on.
ossobuco

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:57 pm
@ossobuco,
I like tools too, divesting now.
hingehead

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 09:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Exercise equipment and a diet book go down really well! Wink
hingehead

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 09:43 pm
@chotki,
A gun.

Just to save cjhsa and omsigdave the trouble....
Mame

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 09:43 pm
@hingehead,
And shooting lessons.
hingehead

Tue 9 Dec, 2008 09:58 pm
@Mame,
It's a win win gift for her , if she doesn't like it she can use it on you.
0 Replies

dude700

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 06:18 am
@chotki,
expensive perfume
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 07:46 am
sorry, chotki, for my curt answer yesterday. I was feeling a little burley.

Honestly, though, it depends on your wife. Like the other ladies have said, some want power tools, some want hand bags, some perfume.

Why not just ask her to give you a list of 4 or 5 things she'd like? That way you'll have an idea.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 07:50 am
My wife's getting a pair of AR-15 lower receivers...shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... she doesn't know.....
0 Replies

aidan

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:57 am
@hingehead,
I've actually asked or one of those Wii -fit things ...my daughter tried one at her friend's house and she said it was really fun - you can dance, ski, whatever you like to do...I don't really understand the concept but she said, 'Mom - you would love this thing...' so as I didn't have any other ideas - I said, 'Go ahead - get that for me..

I always just ask my parents for a check so that they don't have to pay as much for postage as the present cost to mail it from the US to UK- and then I just hit the sales after christmas for clothes, underwear, socks, whatever I may need.

My son has EXQUISITE taste - he's the only one I trust to pick out jewelry or accessories that I KNOW I'll like - it's uncanny. He's also very good at thinking of individualized sort of gifts that show he knows the person and what s/he'll like. No one else in my family can get it as right as he can, so I just say - take Joseph shopping with you - he'll know what I'll like - and it's weird - because he is such a macho masculine guy but he has never gone wrong on earrings or necklaces, bags, whatever - for his sister and/or I. Even my daughter doesn't get it as right as he does.

I also really like gift certificates to Borders - that way I can pick music, books or stationary...whatever I need or want.

I also really like bubble bath - and my favorite only costs £2.89 at Tesco- so that's cheap and easy - ten bottles of that will last me a month (small bottles- I go through about 2 and a half a week ). Cheap and easy gift right there that'd be VERY much appreciated (even one bottle- stocking stuffer)

Speaking of stocking stuffers - those little cadbury magical elves (chocolate candies) 20 pence a piece.

Really - your wife probably just wants to feel that you know her enough to know what she'd like- that'd be the best present...
Green Witch

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 09:09 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Give her a card saying you'll go with her to the store and pay for it. Plus something charming between you two - a stone, a shell, a small poem, a big kiss.

I like this idea because it puts her in control of the gift. Most picky women are really saying they want more emotional investment from the man. Spending time with her makes her feel valuable and shows you care. You could buy a pretty little jewelry box and put a note in it saying it entitles her to lunch with you and gift of her choice. I've noticed when women get together they rarely swap gift value information, but rather sort of brag about how a gift was presented or the thought behind it. We're really in it for the attention.
spendius

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 10:19 am
@Green Witch,
A Black and Decker Workmate and a lightweight spade. That's what I call "emotional involvement." Maybe a pair of stepladders if you're feeling flushed up.
Mame

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 10:24 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

A Black and Decker Workmate and a lightweight spade. That's what I call "emotional involvement." Maybe a pair of stepladders if you're feeling flushed up.

May as well go all out and get her a cordless drill, too.
spendius

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 10:27 am
@Mame,
If you do that you'll have to read the operating instructions and explain them carefully.
Mame

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 11:02 am
@spendius,
What do you want for Christmas, Spendi? Can I buy you a coupla beers?
spendius

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 11:41 am
@Mame,
I have everything I want. Apart from youth.

But I appreciate your offer and if ever we meet I'll be glad to take advantage of it. It would please more though if you gave the price of two beers to your local orphanage.
0 Replies

chotki

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:12 pm
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I think this gives me a lot to work with. What I'll probably do is get her a few different things -- a few surprises, and then something that I know she wants (I'll have to be slick to tease that information out, but it's possible I suppose). Maybe I'll call her sister, too...is interrogating family members typically a good way to get answers? Thanks again.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:25 pm
Unfortunately you have not yet received the best of all possible suggestions. Without further ado...

I recently had some very tasteful erotic photos of myself taken by a professional. There's a shot, for example, where I'm doing chinups in nothing but a tank top, in front of some kind of rainforest-looking backdrop. Oh, and there's the backside shot where I'm clad in an apron and chopping beefsteak tomatoes. They guy used soft focus; each photo looks like something from a dream.

And while this spread (ha!) was not intended for anyone in particular (I may distribute them as Christmas cards to friends), I imagine your own series would make the old lady tingle!

You're welcome.
Green Witch

Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:30 pm
@Gargamel,
I anxiously await the posting of these photos, Gargamel. I find tomatoes very erotic. Surely the members of A2K qualify as friends and you would want us to wish us a Merry Christmas in all your glory.
0 Replies