Audiophiles, lend me your ears!

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 08:24 pm
I was talking to Mo about his Christmas wish list for this year and he said he wanted some Beats headphones.

My understanding is that these are good headphones but that you pay for the name as much as you pay for the performance.

What is your opinion of these headphones? Are they worth the price? Is there something better for the same price?

As a side discussion I'll ask:

When you ask someone what they want for a gift and they name a specific brand, do you honor that or do you ask yourself "value" questions like I'm asking above?

I have.... errr.... complicated.... yeah, complicated.... feelings about this.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,845 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 09:42 pm
@boomerang,
Dunno. I've got a nice pair of Sennheiser noise cancellation headphones which I believe were recommended by Ragman. They're very good, but maybe more so because of my deminished hearing. Unlike the good Bose in the same price range, if the battery dies away from home, they're still usable without the noice cancellation. That probably wouldn't be a consideration for Mo, but I thought I would toss it in. The physical construction is quite sturdy, too.

You know what, though? If he says he wants Dr Beats, that's probably the one to go with - just because.

I bet Rags won't be long finding this thread. The only other I can thing of is Stoat, and he hasn't been around in something like a decade.
boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 06:42 am
@roger,
Thanks, roger!

I was looking at headphones and there are so many choices. It seems like it would be easy to pay a lot for Beats and end up with a worse product that what is available for the same price but there is something to be said for the "just because".
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 07:56 am
I've been researching a bit this morning and from what I've read the Beats are decent headphones but what you're really paying for is "fashion", so I'm guessing fashion is the "just because".

I remember being 13 and wanting certain fashion items that were either simply out of reach or deemed silly because a better item could be had for the same price. I remember being disappointed when I'd receive the "better" item instead of the "fashionable" one. I'm older now and understand but I do recall being 13.....
roger

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 02:08 pm
@boomerang,
You're a rare bird. I would have to expend some precious thought to even remember what town I lived in at that age.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 02:26 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I remember being 13 and wanting certain fashion items that were either simply out of reach or deemed silly because a better item could be had for the same price. I remember being disappointed when I'd receive the "better" item instead of the "fashionable" one. I'm older now and understand but I do recall being 13.....

Bingo! Get him the Beats and overpay...
otherwise it's about you...not him.
roger

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 02:52 pm
@panzade,
With real sadness, I agree. Not badmouthing the Beats since I know next to nothing about them, but I agree.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 02:59 pm
@panzade,
You're absolutely right. Thank you for making it so clear.

Maybe I'll pretend that I'm going to get him the other ones and get him the Beats instead.

Today I actually came across a pair in a discontinued color at a significant discount and I was so tempted to by them but I figured that if I'm going to bite the bullet on Beats I'll bite it all the way.
panzade

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 04:24 pm
@boomerang,
attagrrrl...can't wait to hear what mo says...
0 Replies