Christmas

Mame

Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:12 pm
Has anyone started their Christmas shopping yet? I usually start in January, just casually looking, and by July I'm done. This year I'm a bit late, but I've basically finished. Granted, I only have about 6 or 7 to get gifts for (my choice, nothing forced), and I usually do some homemade things.

This year I've made Kahlua, a few salad vinaigrettes (Caesar salad being one), some salsas, vanilla (just vanilla beans and either vodka or rum), biscotti, and meat and poultry rubs. I'm also regifting some interesting books.

How about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,577 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:50 pm
@Mame,
It's less of an issue when you're Jewish. But I am seeing people saying holiday shopping should be started soon, due to potential issues with the supply chain.
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:50 pm
@Mame,
No shopping here, but I hear we all need to get going because supply shortages are going to be real when the holiday demand hits.
0 Replies

Mame

Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:58 pm
Yes, I've been reading about China and how their energy shortage has been affecting production in all kinds of areas. Factories have been shut down, but have now been ordered up again, and the government has demanded more coal production.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 13 Oct, 2021 01:05 pm
Lock down meant not going out and the car boots didn't start up again until the Summer.

I keep my eyes open, mostly for stocking fillers, but I've got my youngest son's birthday present, he's a real James Bond fan and I got him a signed, framed photo of George Lazenby in a scene from the film.
Mame

Wed 13 Oct, 2021 01:20 pm
@izzythepush,
You lucked out - that's a cool gift. I found some things at a garage sale - never used, still in the box - score!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 13 Oct, 2021 03:37 pm
I have so many relatives. If I start buying I wouldn't know where to quit. So I tell them I can't afford Christmas anymore. They seem to understand. A few people will still gift me, but it's understood they do it out of love and not expecting reciprocity.
0 Replies

Jingleboots

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 12:05 pm
@Mame,
I am almost through, I make "buckets" for my girls at Christmas and I start early in the year and as I travel I see things they would like and I get them and when I get home I just drop it in their respective boxes (3 girls). In September I wrap the gifts and decorate the bucket and get it all ready. So far this year, all three buckets are finished, and most of the grandkids. I hate it when they won't tell me what they want until December. I like to be stress free and enjoy the holidays during December.
Mame

Wed 20 Oct, 2021 02:32 pm
@Jingleboots,
If they won't tell you what they want until December, too bad for them. They're lucky you do all that you do.

In my family, we never asked or told what was wanted. That was verboten. It made you think about the person you were buying for... much more meaningful. And we usually focussed on homemade gifts. Of course, sometimes we would buy things, but a favourite gift of mine is coupons. For example: "Let's go to a movie together. My treat. Three days' notice required." or "I will make you your favourite xxxx." "Lunch out at the XXX restaurant - on me!" "I will wash your car for you 4 x in 2022." Things like that which are appreciated and a gift of love.
0 Replies