You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe. Which one would you prevent?

gungasnake

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 09:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

B fun...

For you maybe; for the trex, hard to say. There's a school of thought which says that the larger saurs could not survive in present gravity and a trex, while not one of the larger saurs, would still need to be hopping around on two legs at a size and weight beyond that of elephants which barely manage to move around in a stiff-legged fashion with all four legs straight underneath them.

It is possible that a trex hatched in our present world would not grow to a size much beyond an ostrich or moa.
Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 12:54 pm
@gungasnake,
That would be really cool then - because I could have one as a pet.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:07 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:

That would be really cool then -
because I could have one as a pet.

Crocodiles are older than some dinos.
Thay look a lot like some of them.

U need to feed them a lot of meat,
but it IS possible to get one as a pet.
(I don't recommend it.)

I don 't mean to sound racist,
but thay are bulky n stupid.

David
Pamela Rosa

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 02:04 pm
I would go back and prevent Abraham Lincoln from being assassinated.
Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 02:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Nah, I'd rather have a T-Rex the size of an ostrich - it would be really cool - I'd feed him the wild rabbits and geese that are all other place near my house.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 02:31 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
I 'd go back to 1818 and prevent the birth of Karl Marx.

Then, on the way back to 2008,
I 'd stop off in June 1914 and prevent Gavrilo Princip from
assassinating ArchDuke Franz Ferdinand Habsburg.

The problem with that, tho,
is that it woud result in far less technological innovation,
that came from our struggles in the last three world wars.
I 'd have neither my 7 foot HDTV, nor this computer.

Is that the right thing to DO ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 02:32 pm
@Linkat,
What woud u name him ?
Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 03:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Fred.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 04:05 pm
@Linkat,
Do u know how to housebreak a T rex ?
Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 08:41 pm
Most of these suggestions would change the events that led to your births (especially stopping WW1). Not a good idea.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 08:44 pm
@mysteryman,
(psst, MM, please get a pick in for at least the Thursday night gmae on the NFL thread. Pick the rest later. Thanks. -johnboy)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 12:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Was this you.....

"...a man arrived with his 3-foot pet gator on a leash."

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2008/11/13/man_arrives_at_bar_with_pet_alligator_cops_called/
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 01:35 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
Quote:
Most of these suggestions would change the events that led to
your births (especially stopping WW1). Not a good idea.

not necessarily stopping my birth,
but stopping birth of the technology necessary
to execute travel thru time
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 01:36 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah,
I was on the low end of the leash.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:37 pm
@gungasnake,
For you maybe; for the trex, hard to say. There's a school of thought which says that the larger saurs could not survive in present gravity
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gungasnake where are you getting your physic information from? Surely not from any physic text book I am aware of!

There is no indication that the G constant had change in the history of the universe. G is the same now as it was 4 billions years ago.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:55 pm
@BillRM,
The phenomenon in question is sufficiently simple, i.e. the ordinary square/cube rule which is why you don't see 200-lb athletes competing in gymnastics.
BillRM

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 05:39 pm
@gungasnake,
The square/cube law of animal proportions are the same now as it was 400 hundred million years ago and no engineering study that I am aware of would indicate that dinosaurs breaks those laws under current conditions in any way or in any manner.

If the G constant had change over the millions of years the orbit of earth would had change greatly for example also and we had no indication of that either.

If we was able to time travel and bring one of the larger dinosaurs into our world they would perform the same now that they did 400 millions years ago.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:12 pm
@BillRM,
Gungasnake I did a fast internet search to find that the anti-science bible first crowd is trying to used the square/cube law to attack evolution theory.

Sorry it will not wash just like the misused of the second law of thermodynamic for the same reason an attack on evolution that sound good only on it surface. Hint on the second law first look at the sun and then read the part of the law limiting it to being apply to closed systems with no outside energy sources.

Strongly suggest that you get a good college level book that cover basic physic so you can understand when someone is trying to snow you with misinformation for their own reasons.

Too bad that a higher percent of the population does not have a good grounding in physic.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 07:06 pm
@BillRM,
What is it you have so much trouble grasping?

As you get bigger you lose power/weight RATIO no matter what you do since volume and weight rise as the cube of dimensions and strength only as the square. According to most analyses the larger sauropods were significantly over any sort of a limit value for that sort of thing and Japanese scientists have recently proclaimed a theoretical limit of around 80 lbs for flying creatures based on the same kinds of arguments despite our knowledge that the largest such would weigh around 1000 lbs in our present world. The largest birds which actually do manage to fly in our present world are around 25 - 30 lbs and many of those only manage to take off and land with great difficulty.
BillRM

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 07:54 pm
@gungasnake,
Gungasnake flying and gilding are two difference modes of air travel.

Now my old MX ultra light aircraft weight in at 300 pounds or so and add my fat self and we have a weight of around 500 pounds on the ground.

It was not a bad glider even if it was not design to be a glider and could ride thermos with the engine on idle for hours with a little luck and some skill on my part.

Now the engine of my aircraft was all of 30 HP a little more then even a large flying animal could produce however the Wright Brother 1903 flyer was double the weight of my MX and was only power by an engine of 7 HP well within the ability of a large animal to produce and it did get off the ground with the help of a strong wind.

A gliding animal of a few hundred pounds break no law of physic that I am aware of! It might have fun getting airborne but once in the air it would be fine.

Oh one thing we do know the 02 level was somewhat higher four hundred millions years ago. Off hand I think the figure I seen is 30 to 35 percent instead of the now 25 percent and that would aid a gliding animal.