You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe. Which one would you prevent?

plainoldme

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 10:55 pm
I thought of an event worth stopping a week ago while I was out and about but I've forgotten what it was. Surely that shows how unimportant the whole venture is.
0 Replies

InsuranceLady

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 02:55 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
My sister getting cancer.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 09:32 pm
The births of the Koch Brothers
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 09:52 pm
@plainoldme,
Love it
0 Replies

darkmelancholia

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 08:49 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Interesting question I would say, however I believe that everything including the bad events all seem to happen for a purpose. A country's loss is another country's gain, like during the 19th century when Britain used to be the no. 1 naval power everyone thought the British would be invincible until when America became the strongest during the turn of the 20th century and when they emerged victorious in the end of the WWII. Japan if not allowing the entrance of foreigners would've remained isolated to the world however, some practices were prohibited due to foreign influence such as shunning homosexuality and making it a taboo. For Christians it is considered to be evil but for non-Christians they consider it to be a normal practice.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 09:50 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe. Which one would you prevent?

((Not seriously speaking from the heart because I believe everything happens for a reason.))

Being born. Feel I'm a catastrophe because of the 'mental hell'/'grief' I suffer. But why would I think life is supposed to be easy/simple.

What makes it worse is when you have individuals who have a negative way of thinking alongside your path refusing to understand which causes the impact to be worse. I advise to seek the Lord Jesus Christ, accept him into your heart and as your savior. Your mental suffering will come to an end but with time and patience. Feel vulnerable to love, let love in. Feel your heart with love. Stop blocking/thinking negatively. Wanting to understand, attempting to understand and following through with understanding, not giving up has its rewards.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 07:04 am
Reconnect this loop.

http://www.ltaaa.com/bbs/thread-44114-1-1.html
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 09:55 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I liked the comment about- why don't we think about preventing perfectly predictable catastrophes we can see right ******* now.

And why are Japanese avatars so much cooler than ours?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 10:01 am
@Leadfoot,
I did not understand a lot about that thread but site was fresh and lively. I played around at joining but I couldn't crack it.

That was way cool alright!

I'm reading a yearly collection of Times articles and I am on 1923. Things weren't different then. Bush, Harding, Coolidge have a LOT in common.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 03:08 pm
@Sturgis,
I'll stay with my original/earlier posted idea and not change a thing. If anything was changed from what is currently the past, it's likely none of us would even be here throwing around suggestions.

What it comes down to in the end is that every...and I mean every little thing which happens contributes to the timeline of what comes after.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 03:41 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
"You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe. Which one would you prevent?"

The election of George Bush sr. And jr.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 11:35 pm
If I could go back in time and change one thing-while still guaranteeing that I would be born anyway-it would be preventing Columbus from discovering America.

Eventually contact would have been made anyway, but if the contact was first made in the mid 1700s instead of the late 1400s, international law and the concept of the rights of man would have taken a firmer hold on the Western consciousness. As a result, the Native Americans likely would not have been so brutally run over and the massive African slave trade/kidnapping would not have gone so far, and would have been ended shortly after it began, if it began at all.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 05:14 am
@Blickers,
Have you read 1491 by Diamond?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 06:45 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

if the contact was first made in the mid 1700s instead of the late 1400s, international law and the concept of the rights of man would have taken a firmer hold on the Western consciousness.

It had taken an even firmer hold in the 1930s but that didn't stop the popularity of Eugenics or the rise of Fascists and Nazis.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 08:05 am
@izzythepush,
The more we change the more we stay the same.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 09:37 am
@bobsal u1553115,
True that.

The 'rights of man' were obvious when an early man clubed another over the head to get his way.
People denied reality then and they still do it today.

Nothing has changed.
Blickers

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 09:54 am
@Leadfoot,
Plenty has changed. Countries that had the majority of people living in grass covered huts when I was younger are now industrial giants. After the Korean War, the people in Seoul were so poor that they were living under road overpasses, not because they had alcohol problems but because they had nowhere else to go. Then in the eighties I started noticing some decent audio equipment coming out of S. Korea. Then cars-econoboxes at at first, but still cars-started being sold over here. Then the econobox cars started being offered alongside bigger cars and trucks, now a car from Korea is considered a first rate source. Electronic chips come out of Korea, are designed in Korea, all sorts of new technologies. Think of how Korea was 40 or 50 years ago, and look at it presently. Now South Korea is part of the G20 and other places are only a half beat away.

Other places are moving up quickly. Malaysia. Chile has a standard of living that is about equal to Eastern Europe-not quite first tier, but moving up fast. The age of going in with guns and weaponry to take over is through, the age of "let's make a deal including aid to help get your economy going" is here. That's a huge difference, and it is reflected in such things as concern and changes for human rights globally. Outside of perhaps the Catholic Church making some entreaties on behalf of the Native Americans in Mexico and South America, there weren't many organizations with any power or influence concerned about human rights back in the 1500s.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 10:53 am
@Blickers,
If I was talking about living standards you'd be right. Cave man didn't have plumbing, electricity, etc.

But I was talking about human rights. The violators mostly don't use clubs anymore, the tools they use now are mostly prejudice, fraud, bribery, laws, intimidation, extortion, corruption, and only occasionally guns, knives, etc.

Nothing has changed but the tools.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 02:50 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
The Covid-19 outbreak. I'd go and contain the problem at the source.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 02:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
I’d love to see you do that.