Sarah Palin will NEVER be president.

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 05:33 pm
Suckered how? I was simply amused--but it didn't matter to me if it were true or not. It didn't cost me anything. I made no investment decisions based on it, and nobody got paid by me for spreading the story.

How do you allege that anyone were "suckered?"
mysteryman

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 05:36 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
How do you allege that anyone were "suckered?"

Anyone that believed it, reported it, or repeated it, got suckered by it.
Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 05:44 pm
@mysteryman,
Bullshit . . . there was nothing on the line. My decision about who should be President was not conditioned by it, and it certainly did not serve to lower my already low, low opinion of the woman.

You're indulging your partisan prejudices.
mysteryman

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 05:46 pm
@Setanta,
I didnt say that you did use that as a basis for your decision.
You are protesting to much.

I simply said that ANYONE that repeated the story, or believed it, or reported it as fact got suckered by a bogus story.
I didnt include you in that, but you started protesting your innocence anyway.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 05:52 pm
@mysteryman,
Our popular afternoon talk show host on 770 KOB here in Albuquerque devcted a whole three hours, off and on, to bashing Sarah Palin last week based on the information from the so-called McCain staffers who were supposedly bad mouthing her now. He was rather snippy with callers who suggested that it just didn't add up. I'm e-mailing MM's link to him to just see if we will do the honorable thing and report the hoax.

Anybody who repeated such stuff knowing it wasn't true would be unethical, mean spirited, partisan hacks. Anybody who repeated such stuff believing it was true were indeed suckered into believing a lie.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:18 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

And now it seems that FOX, MSNBC, other major news outlets, the political left, and the dems have all been suckered.

There was a report on the networks that an "unnamed McCain campaign figure" claimed that Sarah Palin didnt know that Africa was a continent.

Now that appears to have been an elaborate hoax.

From the article you linked.
Quote:
The pranksters behind Eisenstadt acknowledge that he was not, through them, the anonymous source of the Palin leak. He just claimed falsely that he was the leaker--and they say they have no reason to cast doubt on the original story. For its part, Fox News Channel continues to stand behind its story.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:20 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
I didnt say that you did use that as a basis for your decision.
You are protesting to much.

I simply said that ANYONE that repeated the story, or believed it, or reported it as fact got suckered by a bogus story.

That's fair enough. A lot of people were suckered by this item and various outlets covered it, including MSNBC. I'll watch tonight and see if they acknowledge the misinformation. The failing here is far too common where a rumor pops into the discourse and media run it with no or little verification. It is an open door for manipulation through false data (particularly as anonymity is granted so easily). Here's Alterman...
Quote:
"Eisenstadt" wrote on his blog that he alone was the source for the rumors, and that indeed Palin didn't know -- and MSNBC hurried to get that on the air after the fake blog post was linked in several mainstream political blogs, including The New Republic. More here.

The prank highlights the vacuous nature of cable news, where information is pumped and then dumped without too much awareness of who provided it, or why. But more importantly it's a caveat to bloggers -- who is behind that Typepad page you want to quote? Do you know them? Do you know if they're reliable, or even real?
http://mediamatters.org/altercation/?f=h_column

But there's another relevant part to this as well. The story would not have been swallowed so easily (that is, the suggestion of extreme ignorance) had it concerned, say, Bobby Jindal or Giuliani or Mike Huckabee, or pretty much anyone else. It was swallowed easily because Palin had already demonstrated serious and broad deficits in knowledge of the world and of american political systems and history.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:41 pm
This is incoherent beyond belief.

Quote:
BLITZER: Does that mean you want to come up with a new Sarah Palin initiative that you want to release right now.

PALIN: Gah! Nothing specific right now. Sitting here in these chairs that I’m going to be proposing but in working with these governors who again on the front lines are forced to and it’s our privileged obligation to find solutions to the challenges facing our own states every day being held accountable, not being just one of many just casting votes or voting present every once in a while, we don’t get away with that. We have to balance budgets and we’re dealing with multibillion dollar budgets and tens of thousands of employees in our organizations.
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2008/11/what_just_happened.html
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 05:01 am
@blatham,
And here I was thinkin' that that man in the White House had a monopoly on uttering political gibberish. Clearly, he has to take a back seat to the lady from Juneau. That's masterful!
blatham

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 06:30 am
@Merry Andrew,
To forward or support this candidate for high office - represents something of an apotheosis of American anti-intellectualism. Her identification/similarity with Joe the Plumber (as opposed to, say, an economic theorist, or an accomplished historian, or some serious school of foreign affairs) makes perfect sense in that context. I've worked in the building industry for years and can assure you that Joe is not representative of plumbers or tradesmen generally, he's much stupider and less educated than most).

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:02 am
@blatham,
Quote:
PALIN: Gah! Nothing specific right now. Sitting here in these chairs that I’m going to be proposing but in working with these governors who again on the front lines are forced to and it’s our privileged obligation to find solutions to the challenges facing our own states every day being held accountable, not being just one of many just casting votes or voting present every once in a while, we don’t get away with that. We have to balance budgets and we’re dealing with multibillion dollar budgets and tens of thousands of employees in our organizations.

She's the rock 'n roll governor!

For at least a generation, so many rock lyrics consist of a few popular catch phrases with a lot of indistinguishable filler in between.

Palin's answer is the same thing. You get the impression that she is going to be working with governors and that governors do important things and have big responsibilities. The words in between those thoughts seem to support those themes, maybe.
blatham

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:07 am
@Blickers,
People tend to split on this lady. I think that might be true also when we imagine her performing some musical composition. On the one hand, "Sugar Shack" might be picked by one side of the split whereas the other might pick the "Whip it! Whip it real good" thing.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:08 am
Quote:
Rich "Starbursts" Lowry does a McCain post-modem:

Quote:
The split over Palin, of course, poisoned everything at the end. One of the dividing lines was between her communications team and the policy advisers. The communications team seemed to consider her a dolt, while the policy people"like Steve Biegun and Randy Scheunemann"were impressed with her and her potential. As one McCain aide told me, "It's the difference between considering her someone who lacks knowledge and someone who is incompetent, and they [the communications aides] treated her as the latter."

But this is to my mind the most revealing quote from a Palin defender:
Quote:

"Look, she wasn't ready for this, obviously."

If she wasn't ready for this, how was she supposed to be ready to be president? And if she wasn't ready to be president, why did you pick her?

The focus in all this - apart from getting closure on some factual questions - should be on discovering who vetted, or didn't vet Palin. This was massive political malpractice - and it's McCain's, Davis's and Schmidt's responsibility. Thank God these incompetents and risk-takers will not run the country.
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:10 am
http://able2know.org/topic/125547-1
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:20 am
Y'know, maybe we're being unfair to the lady. I just re-read that quote of hers from the Blitzer interview and she might just be quite literary and 'having us on'. It sounds so much like James Joyce, like that one-sentence Molly Bloom soliloquy where unrelated and semi-related ideas keep stringing themselves together into one looooong sentence. ('Course, rap is like that, too.)
blatham

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 12:27 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
I just re-read that quote of hers

I've re-read it quite a few times myself. And yet I don't think I've ever re-read a quote from Biden. Then there is Randy Scheunemann yesterday saying Palin is "brilliant" and that she "has a photographic memory". God! If only Couric had asked her about novels! About whether Palin preferred Finnegan's Wake or Ulysses. Everything would be so different now.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 12:41 pm
@blatham,
An example of Two guys having an al fresco literary circle jerk.

1Shes a moron

2A moron that quotes Joyce accidentally is still a moron

3For any other options , please refer to #1.
blatham

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 12:53 pm
@farmerman,
1) I'm indoors
2) jerking circularly or pentagramatically or in any other pleasing geometry seems like a fine way to spend a morning
3) of course, she's a moron
4) are you a little quick to anger here or am I mis-reading?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 08:13 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh yeah, and there was Tom Ridge. But there is a guy who is clearly inferior in knowledge and intelligence to Sarah Palin. Which was the reason he was passed over. Putting country first...could we imagine a better example?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 03:13 am
Sarah Palin Does TV Interview While Turkeys Are Slaughtered In The Background

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/49879/thumbs/s-PALIN-TURKEY-large.jpg

UNREAL. She blabbers on and on in her trademark incoherent manner. President Palin? God forbid!