Sarah Palin will NEVER be president.

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:26 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Basically, if a full half of all voters think your VP candidate is unqualified, you have a problem.

Especially since you, at the very least, agreed to their being picked.

0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:35 am
@gungasnake,
I'd be interested to know how many A2K women would like to see me make my penis go round in a circle no hands....but, like your post, it's only of interest to me....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:36 am
@farmerman,
Fargo was the first thing I thought of as well when I heard her speak.

I'm hoping she never returns to the national scene in any form. I certainly see no presidential value in being a high school athlete and beauty queen. I set a couple of sports records for my high school which was about the same size as Wasilla High, AND won national championships showing horses, AND was in college before finishing high school.

Can I be VP? I say 'um' now and then but I never run eight sentences together using also and there.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:40 am
@squinney,
I don't think a Queen can be Vice President... you're already a monarch....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:50 am
For me, at least, Palin being on the ticket was the final push that made me vote for Obama. I had always leaned toward Obama anyway but, frankly, I liked McCain. I was not 100 percent committed prior to the Palin selection. But Mac's an old man, as old as I am, and his health isn't all that good. The possibility of this Alaskan bimbo actually occupying the Oval Office was a thought so terrifying it drove me straight into the Obama/Biden camp.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 06:07 am
@Merry Andrew,
that was the push that threw my support behind Obama fa shizzle...enough already with the whack jobs....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:49 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
I'd be curious as to how many of the women on a2k were ever star athletes while winning beauty pageants... that is, prior to any sort of a rise to national political prominence.......

So you think the most important qualifications to be the President of the United States is the ability to throw a ball, perhaps run fast and look good in bathing suit?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
We're so effin stupid that we want the absolutely worst President we can get!

Finn, I think my above post proves my point.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:17 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
There's a bit of a chicken/egg thing going on here - did they go for Obama because they didnt trust Palin or did they not trust Palin because they were Obama voters? .

there was certainly a noticeable group of voters/posters at A2K that said that their decision to vote for Obama was in the end based on McCain's choice of Palin for v.p. I'm not suggesting it's a broadly representative group here, but it is one group to consider.
engineer

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:40 pm
My concern about Palin is she's a demagogue. She's got everything she needs to tell those "Joe sixpacks" and "hockey moms" that she is just like them, but there are others out there, others who don't love America, others who want to take away their freedoms, others who should be hated and despised. She'll give them a wink and a smile and promise to defend their children from the outsiders. You know, the people with funny middle names and the people who only speak broken English. The people who are taking their jobs and corrupting this great country and don't believe in American values.

Those who think Palin is stupid are deluding themselves. Those who think that she doesn't have a base are wrong. I've met otherwise intelligent people who gush about her. She's ambitious and apparently charismatic. She may not be Joe McCarthy, but I think she is both willing and able to whip up the mob if it suits her purpose.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:47 pm
@engineer,
With any luck it'll split the republican/conservative mass into a couple of chunks that take a while to get sorted.
JPB

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:47 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm one of those "Palin pushed me off the fence" supporters too. Unlike MA, I wasn't always leaning Obama but I admit that I was tilted that way once he chose someone other than Hillary as his running mate.

I can't remember an election where the choice of VP running mate mattered more to me than it did this time. I've always liked John McCain -- or at least the John McCain we saw on election night when he was facing his supporters and gave a most gracious concession speech. I like Obama as well. For reasons I'm embarrassed to admit, I think both of them stand a greater likelihood of dieing in office than most Presidents in my lifetime.

The choice of Sarah Palin as the VP candidate offended me on multiple levels. One, it perpetuated the idea that McCain had bailed on his principles in order to be palatable to the Christian Right. Two, it demonstrated that being a maverick was one thing, being reactionary and shoot-from-the-hip was ill conceived when it came to the most important decision of his post-primary campaign. And, three, not only is she not qualified other than by birthright to be VP or President of the United States, she is a theocrat and regardless of the theocracy involved I will always vote against a theocracy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 03:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Yep.

But...the speed with which the Mc Cain people are blaming her, and spilling dirt on the personal side of her, leads me to think the right is already paddling hard on stopping this from happening.

Of course, this could backfire for a bit....but, since she has no substance at all, I suspect she may be a flash in the pan, albeit very damaging, figure of malign fun, like Pauline Hanson here.

Pauline is a brainless bigot who tapped into the racist, ignorant and resentful bigots who had felt they lacked a voice.

She was a very damaging figure for a reasonable amount of time, as she was handled by much nastier men with some political cunning.

Not that I think I have any evidence that Palin is racist, but otherwise I think the demographic is similar.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 03:14 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
But...the speed with which the Mc Cain people are blaming her, and spilling dirt on the personal side of her, leads me to think the right is already paddling hard on stopping this from happening.

there is a group of conservatives which is also rapidly disassociating itself from McCain - attaching itself to Palin. It's fascinating to watch. blatham's posted some good stuff on what's happening.

the freepers are trying to blackball foxnews - it's really quite something
dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 03:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Really?

What's a freeper?

It might take them a bit longer to re-organize than I thought.

I have been wondering how strongly the neo-con agenda was imbued within the party and its support base?

I assume that is now blasted out of the water????

But...they'll be bavk...'tis all swings and roundabouts....well, more roundabouts....

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:02 pm
@dlowan,
Really.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FReeper

http://www.freerepublic.com/home.htm

The base and the elite aren't very pleased with each other right now.

There was a political language shift starting close to three years ago, differentiating conservatives from republicans. Fascinating stuff to watch.

My particular addiction is watching the language shuffle at http://www.gopusa.com/
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:04 pm
@dlowan,
This is a classic of its type

http://www.gopusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55044

Quote:
CNSNews.com) - A group of about 20 conservative leaders met in the Virginia countryside Thursday to begin planning the fight against the liberal agenda of President-elect Barack Obama " with or without the Republican Party.

The meeting was seen as the first in a series of gatherings that conservative leaders will be holding in the coming weeks to plan the development of new organizations, new fundraising efforts and new strategies to deal with what they expect to be a series of momentous battles over significant issues of public policy.

The leaders said they foresee battling Obama and the Democratic Congress " and most likely moderate Republicans, too " over issues including taxes, sanctity of life, marriage, judicial nominations, secret ballots for union organizing and the Fairness Doctrine, which they see as a threat to freedom of speech on the radio.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks for those links, ehBeth. I didn't know what a freeper was, either.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:17 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
Boycott of FOX
Vanity | 11-06-08 | Veritas 2002

Posted on November 6, 2008 1:07:54 PM by veritas2002

I propose that we punish the FOX Network for its hatchet job on Sarah Palin.

For one week beginning at 3:00 PM today no one tunes them in. We will demonstrate the power of conservatives when their ratings plummet dramatically.

Will you join me?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2127130/posts

Quote:
To: veritas2002

I am going to do that and raise you one cable contract cancelled.

47 posted on November 6, 2008 1:15:14 PM by FreeAtlanta (Start the AIP- American Independence Party)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 09:01 pm
My understanding is that all of the posts of freepers, tico, okie, foxfyre, gopusa and other such are going to be gathered together and archived in a huge data base known as wikitedia.