I TOOK DOWN MY AMERICAN FLAG FROM MY HOUSE

okie

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:40 pm
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:

okie i give you a thumbs up for your patience and belief in america

Thanks, but to be accurate, I have expressed some pretty negative things about Obama. I hope I am wrong. And none of those things have anything to do with race, in fact I wish the first black president was a Republican. All of my nervousness has to do with not knowing who Obama is, what he intends to do, and I have alot of disagreements with what I do understand about what he wants to do. Also, he leaves alot of statements purposely vague, and it leaves alot of us guessing out here as to his true intents. I simply do not trust the man, and when I see the rampant fanaticism and worship-like attitudes of his supporters, it gives me pause to worry for the country. And I can't help but think that even many of the people that did vote for him remain somewhat nervous as well, and this morning I sense alot of those people might even wonder what they have done. I hope we all get through it. Uncertainty is a tough thing to deal with, and that is the situation we now have, we've elected a president that few people actually know, nor can they predict at all what his presidency will result in.

I hope all the people out there, sobbing with joy, that a black man has been elected, now wake up to reality, political correctness is wonderful, but now we have some very serious problems to deal with, forget whether the man is white, black, green, or yellow, it doesn't matter, and I regret to have to tell all those people that it never did matter that much, only did it matter in their politically correct minds. To solve the energy problem, the economic problem, the security problem, etc. etc., it doesn't matter now, and it never did. What matters is the content of his character, not the color of his skin.
kuvasz

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:24 am
@okie,
frankly, okie I know what you wrote, all of it. But, that does not mean I will not reach out my hand to you for the sake of the nation that raised, nutured, and protected us.

We have a hard path before us and we ought not to gloat or do some sort of taunting end zone dance. If anything, we ought to move more fully to respect those with whom we have differed.

You said a lot of things about Obama that I do not believe are true, but if you can take a minute to consider his words you might reflect that he recognizes the difficultues ahead and wants all Americans to help.

Quote:
Let us resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long. Let us remember that it was a man from this state who first carried the banner of the Republican Party to the White House - a party founded on the values of self-reliance, individual liberty, and national unity. Those are values we all share, and while the Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress. As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, "We are not enemies, but friends...though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. " And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn - I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too.

For the past 24 hours on a2k I have tried to live by Lincoln's and Obama's words and once again extend my hand in friendship to you as a fellow American so we can help our nation. I ask one favor tonight; give Obama and his supporters a chance to prove ourselves, because I believe you would be asking the same if Mccain had won.

I am not challenging your patriotism Okie, I am depending on it.

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:53 am
@kuvasz,
(getting a wee bit bit cranky with all this in Oz) .... Frankly, one tires of these constant expressions of "patriotism", the flag waving stuff from some US folk. Look, we are all citizens of the world, that's what matters. Making the world a better, fairer place. I'm hoping, so hoping, for a better world, minus the influence of Bushco & the frightful policies & actions that have had such an appalling effect on the lives of innocent people in places like Afghanistan, Iraq ... I'd like to see fewer preventable human sacrifices as a result of stupid, uneccessary conflicts ... I wish some of you would pull your fingers out & look at the big picture! Not everything is about the US. But US actions have had a huge impact on the lives of many vulnerable people around the globe. I wish I could see more focus on that!
msolga

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:12 am
@msolga,
... & David, you can take down your flag or leave it up. Who cares? It may be a big drama to you, but frankly, I can't see why you simply cannot adapt to a change of government as a result of legitimate democratic process. You will not be the first person who has had to endure a government that has not been of their own choice. All of us have done it. And at times it hasn't been a very difficult thing to do. But you just keep working toward what you believe is right.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 04:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
you dont have a flag

its not your flag

to fly or take down.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 04:52 am
@roger,
Quote:
Extra point for Walter for correct usage of the word "terrific".

Wouldn't ya just know that a European would use an English word in a correct manner that is seldom used in that way by Americans?

Thanks Walter, and thank you Rog for pointing it out!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 04:57 am
@msolga,
Quote:
No flags in any sort on my house ... ever. It's not really an Australian thing .....

msolga- Not even a pumpkin flag at Halloween, or a bunny flag at Easter? How sad. You Australians sound terribly deprived. And David is complaining about the US! Laughing
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:19 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Look, we are all citizens of the world...
I'm not. And you live in Australia!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:19 am
Oh noes! Obama won!

It's only a matter of month's before all the plants die and we live in a new dust bowl era in some sci-fi communist dystopic future. Basically, I hope all the dems liked the movie "Thunderdome" because that's where we're headed... next week!

LOL

T
K
O
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I never liked McCain.
I voted for him as the best chance to stop the dreaded Oboy-Biden
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would bet however you just love Palin the lady who think it is sporting to shoot wild life from a plane.

Kind of remind me of the good old days where men could kill a hundred plus buffalos a day and never even leave the comfort of thier train cars.

BillRM

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:46 am
@margo,
Margo my opinion is it is a little of both as to be a racist you have to be at least a little stupid no matter how bad your upbringing happen to had been.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I wonder how the civilized people felt just before the fall of Rome

The same citizen people who took joy at killing thouands of men women and children and of course animals during thier games?
cjhsa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:06 am
Never surrender. Not even when the enemy of America has been elected to its highest office. The sheeple know not what they have done. Lock and load.
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:37 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Never surrender. Not even when the enemy of America has been elected to its highest office. The sheeple know not what they have done. Lock and load.

Surrender? Who is fighting?
Enemy? We're friends and fellow citizens.

Lock and Load? For all the speech on untempered optimism, can you find some time for tempered pessimism? I don't think you are required to like the outcome, but I think you need to accept it and do so with reason.

T
K
O
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:47 am
littlek wrote here on A2K during the election (I'm going to paraphrase) that we need to examine the way liberals and conservatives interact. Both groups have a tendency to become petty or overly defensive and put the other side down. She went on to say that often (and I agree) the conservatives are most obnoxious when they are wrong, and the liberals are most obnoxious when they are right.

Nov 4th wasn't about right and wrong or even a cultural validation of who was standing on the right side of history.

I've been so far very impressed with the poise many of our GOP friends have returned to the forum, and while jubilation is natural for the liberals/progressives here, I haven't seen anything I'd throw a yellow or red flag on... yet. I think the worst first steps to take after this kind of election, this kind of man (Obama) would be let us beat the other down and divide us more. I think that Obama's message wasn't just for the campaign. He inspired so many people to get involved in politics so that it wasn't just Washington that had something invested. I think we need to keep that going.

I'm pretty humbled by the things I've seen in the last week.

T
K
O

0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:00 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

No, with Obama in office, you have become a subject. I on the other hand, prefer to remain a true citizen, and thus, I cannot accept him as my president. The gubmint is supposed to be a wart on your pinky, not your entire skin.
spendius

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:01 am
Quote:
I TOOK DOWN MY AMERICAN FLAG FROM IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE

America does not exist anymore.

There's two. Look at the electoral map. The City Party--the Paperwork Party- has won the election. All history shows the City laying waste to the countryside. Media won the election. And the City demographics moving west like the Dover demographics

Comparisons with Rome are fatuous. They had static money. Pieces of money. We have money as a dynamic force. And it's global.

America hasn't existed for a long while. Mr Bush told you that a few weeks ago. Your flag is like a Yorkshire flag. An anachronism. It's an isolationist symbol of no relevance to the modern mind. In actual fact, from a Faustian point of view, it is defeatist.

Your power has been diluted. To be the leader, for now, of the free world is to be in that free world not separate from it.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:16 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

No, with Obama in office, you have become a subject. I on the other hand, prefer to remain a true citizen, and thus, I cannot accept him as my president. The gubmint is supposed to be a wart on your pinky, not your entire skin.

As long as you live here...
http://www.mymapman.com/images/USA.Adv.Pol.JPG
... on January 20th, yes you accept him as your president. Not that it matters, he'll be accepting you as one of the citizens he governs.

T
K
O
OGIONIK

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:21 am
@Diest TKO,
i might ask, if you are truly a patriot, if you truly stand for democracy..

why is everyone so mad. bush is out. be happy, well not yet but soon yyayya

think not "obama in"

think "bush out"
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:36 am
@OGIONIK,
Meh.

I don't like Bush, but him leaving is not as exciting as Obama arriving for me. I can tell you though that many people are. Thousands of people went to the White House on Nov 4th, I was one of them.

I took some pictures too.

I would embed them, but they are huge.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n3psklkrOgk/SRMNsX81JoI/AAAAAAAAAy4/dhLA0JWYI14/s1600-h/DSC01638.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_n3psklkrOgk/SRMNsmJRFVI/AAAAAAAAAzA/xTF9xenHOPg/s1600-h/DSC01653.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_n3psklkrOgk/SRMNrlIf1bI/AAAAAAAAAyw/oTap3g5hjoo/s1600-h/DSC01654.JPG

T
K
O
0 Replies