mccain begs off

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:59 pm
mccain cancels the upcoming (friday) debate citing the economic "crises." I guess the economy is not as quite fundamentally sound as he said it was last week.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 30 • Views: 14,133 • Replies: 172

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:03 pm
The title should read: McCain steps up!

The question is, what will Obama do now?
Will Obama stay on the stump and project the
message that he thinks the fundamentally sound?

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:03 pm
@dyslexia,
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/breaking_mccain_campaign_suspe.php

What a f*cking pussy. What the hell is McCain and his presence going to change? Nothing.

This isn't going to look good for him, no matter what he does.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,

Cyclotroll has no clue what's going on here and I'm not surprised.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
works with the current ad

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/keeping_quiet.html

are American voters as stupid as McCain hopes they are?
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:10 pm
@dyslexia,
I just saw this elsewhere... I'm truly gobsmacked.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:10 pm
@ehBeth,
MCCAIN SAYS HE'LL SUSPEND CAMPAIGN TO DEAL WITH FINANCIAL CRISIS, CALLS ON OBAMA TO DO SAME; CALLS FOR POSTPONEMENT OF DEBATE

ehBeth wrote:

are American voters as stupid as McCain hopes they are?

McCain is hoping smart Americans will help the stupid liberals.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:12 pm
@sozobe,
As am I, Soz. What the hell is he thinking? That he can get some sort of 'leadership' boost out of this? What exactly is he proposing to DO? Will he be stopping his campaign ads? Will he be canceling campaign events?

I can't see how this will be played as a positive for him, in any way.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I can see how Obama's lack of concern will hurt him.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:18 pm
I suppose if Obama had suggested this, he'd be seen as a saint, thinking of his country first and his own ambitions second. He'd be glorified as the true leader that he will be...

What a bunch of dumbasses you guys appear to be.

Quote:
McCain Suspending Campaign, Asks for Debate Delay
Updated 3:12 p.m.
By Michael D. Shear and Robert Barnes
NEW YORK -- Republican presidential nominee John McCain this afternoon said he would suspend his presidential campaign tomorrow to return to Washington and help reach agreement on a plan to solve the financial crisis on Wall Street, and said he wants to delay Friday night's presidential debate.

"It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the Administration's proposal,'' McCain said in a brief statement to reporters. "I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time.''

McCain said he is calling on President Bush "to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem."

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton released a statement reacting to the news.

"At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal," Burton said. "At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obama's call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details."

McCain's remarks follow:

America this week faces an historic crisis in our financial system. We must pass legislation to address this crisis. If we do not, credit will dry up, with devastating consequences for our economy. People will no longer be able to buy homes and their life savings will be at stake. Businesses will not have enough money to pay their employees. If we do not act, ever corner of our country will be impacted. We cannot allow this to happen.

Last Friday, I laid out my proposal and I have since discussed my priorities and concerns with the bill the Administration has put forward. Senator Obama has expressed his priorities and concerns. This morning, I met with a group of economic advisers to talk about the proposal on the table and the steps that we should take going forward. I have also spoken with members of Congress to hear their perspective.

It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the Administration's proposal. I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time.

Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me.

I am calling on the President to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem.

We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved. I am directing my campaign to work with the Obama campaign and the commission on presidential debates to delay Friday night's debate until we have taken action to address this crisis.

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I think he's just flustered.

Honestly.

I think he doesn't like how things are going and was getting nervous about the debate. I think that came first, and then a "hey we can show that we're serious about this whole economy thing by 'focusing' on it -- yeah, that's the ticket!" justification followed.

I think it's also an attempt to take control a bit, put Obama into reactive mode. Does he (Obama) say "You have a point there Johnny, let's focus on the economy" and then McCain gets credit? Does Obama say "heck no, get back here and debate" and then he looks petty?

I think that's the calculation. And I do think Obama has to be careful, I think missteps can be made.

But... daaaaang.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:21 pm
@McGentrix,
wtf are you talking about, McG? If Obama begged off a foreign policy debate, you would be all over him as 'weak.'

C'mon. There's no reason for McCain to do this, other than fear.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:22 pm
“It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem”

McCain is taking this financial problem seriously while Obama considers his next move.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

wtf are you talking about, McG? If Obama begged off a foreign policy debate, you would be all over him as 'weak.'

C'mon. There's no reason for McCain to do this, other than fear.

Cycloptichorn

uh, oh, I think I just heard a new poll come out, You'd better run and check!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:23 pm
@McGentrix,
Why does it have to be either/ or?

Why can't Obama and McCain do all they can to help solve this crisis... and then hold a debate at 9:00 PM EST on a Friday night? (And then go back to solving the crisis when they're done debating?)
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

There's no reason for McCain to do this, other than fear.

WTF are you talking about Cyclotroll?

McCain's reason is clearly to put country first and to back up his words with action.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
There's no reason for McCain to do this, other than fear.

mmmaybe strategy v fear - I'd think they planned it at the same time as the ad was being prepared

or perhaps fear led the strategy - but it sure doesn't look random
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Nope.

Here's Josh Marshall on this -

Quote:
Wait ... Wait

What's changed today in the financial crisis other than John McCain's poll numbers tanking?
Isn't this the campaign equivalent of faking an injury when you're down late in the 4th quarter? Note too that McCain was in the mist of debate prep when he made this decision.

Look at what appears to have happened. Obama reached out to McCain privately to agree to a shared set of bailout principles. McCain went off the handle again and tried to use the crisis as a way to call off the debates.

--Josh Marshall

Off the handle once again.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:34 pm
McCain has admitted that he deals with things in a knee-jerk fashion. He's had lots of time to "understand" the severity of this problem and here he is, going off half-cocked yet again.

The McCain roller coaster ride of "I don't have a clue how to solve anything".
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:36 pm
Obama is now attempting to claim this move was his idea... something about a call he made to McCain early this AM.
0 Replies