mccain begs off

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:40 pm
http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/09/24/mccain-suspending-campaign-this-is-quot-country-first-quot.aspx

Quote:
McCain Suspending Campaign. This Is "Country First"?

As you may have heard, John McCain just announced he's suspending his campaign--and asking to postpone Friday's debate--so that he can return to Washington and help negotiate a solution to the nation's financial crisis. He also says he's asked Barack Obama to join him.

While I am willing believe that McCain's interest in bipartisan reform is sincere, it's hard not to see at least some gamesmanship at work here. The McCain campaign has been reeling for the last few days and it's fast becoming apparent voters simply don't trust him on the economy as much as they trust Obama. The only break in the economic news has been the revelations about McCain's campaign manager, Rick Davis, and his lobbying ties to Fannie Mae. Anything that disrupts the present political cycle is, by definition, good for McCain.

Then again, gamesmanship is always at work in politics. Obama's campaign says they were the ones who contacted McCain this morning, in order to develop some joint principles on a financial bailout package. As with McCain, I'm sure the desire for bipartisan reform is sincere--and that political calculation went into that move, as well.

So let's look at the merits of the argument here. Is the country better served by having the two presidential candidates suspend their campaigns--and engage directly in the negotiations, as McCain just urged? I'm not so sure. I, for one, think Congress has been handling this pretty well so far. The Bush Administration came to them with an obviously flawed package. They responded with appropriate skepticism and are busy coming up with what look like sensible alternatives.

Implicit in McCain's appeal is that the presidential campaign was politicizing this issue, in ways that have made crafting a response more difficult. It's not clear to me that's actually been happening--or that politicizing the issue is such a bad thing. Coming up with the right response requires making choices about political values. Is it important to help homeowners? Is it ok for the government to own part of the investment business?

What does seem apparent, though, is that putting the two candidates in the negotiating room is far more likely to distract--and derail--negotiations than having them out on the hustings. Besides, it's not as if McCain has any great expertise he can bring to this subject. Or does he plan to bring Senator Phill Gramm, Mr. Deregulator himself, along?

One other concern: McCain just made it clear he expects a negotiated solution by Monday. In other words, he's just set a deadline. But, like many commentators and experts, I'm increasingly convinced that haste is bad idea here. If it takes a few extra days--or even a few extra weeks--to craft legislation, that might not be such a bad idea, as long as Congress makes clear that it will, eventually, do something.

So, no, I don't think this is such a great idea. In fact, it feels to me a bit like McCain is trying to use this crisis as a way to prop up his political fortunes. Nothing unusual about that, I suppose, except perhaps for a politican whose campaign slogan is "Country First."

--Jonathan Cohn

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
works perfectly with the current ad
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Laughing Jonathan Cohn knows less than Cyclotroll !!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:46 pm
@ehBeth,
You mean, McCain's 'country first' ad?

I can't believe that anyone would be fooled into thinking that McCain is doing this for any other reason than political ones. I mean, it's instantly obvious to everyone what he's doing, as nobody sees him as a leader on the economy issue.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/09/24/mccain-suspending-campaign-this-is-quot-country-first-quot.aspx

Quote:
What does seem apparent, though, is that putting the two candidates in the negotiating room is far more likely to distract--and derail--negotiations than having them out on the hustings. Besides, it's not as if McCain has any great expertise he can bring to this subject. Or does he plan to bring Senator Phill Gramm, Mr. Deregulator himself, along?

One other concern: McCain just made it clear he expects a negotiated solution by Monday. In other words, he's just set a deadline. But, like many commentators and experts, I'm increasingly convinced that haste is bad idea here. If it takes a few extra days--or even a few extra weeks--to craft legislation, that might not be such a bad idea, as long as Congress makes clear that it will, eventually, do something.

Both good points. (1 -- will having Obama and McCain in the room really improve the situation in any real way? 2 -- deadlines -- especially such short notice -- are not necessarily the way to go, here.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:47 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
WOO HOO Obama!!!! Calling McCain on his bullshit immediately!!!

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/mccain-not-comm.html

Quote:
McCain: Scrap Friday Debate for Bailout; Obama Camp: 'The Debate is On'
September 24, 2008 3:04 PM

ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos and Rick Klein report: Sen. John McCain on Wednesday said he would “suspend” his presidential campaign to come to Washington to help negotiate a financial bailout bill, a dramatic move designed to seize a powerful issue.

However a senior Obama campaign official said Obama "intends to debate."

"The debate is on," a senior Obama campaign official told ABC News.

McCain said he called on the Commission on Presidential Debates to postpone the debate scheduled for Friday in Mississippi, to ensure quick congressional action.

“I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me,” McCain planned to say in New York City, according to advance excerpts released by his campaign. “I am calling on the president to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem.”

Obama supporter and chief debate negotiator Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill., told MSNBC that "we can handle both," when asked about his reaction to McCain's call to postpone the first debate because of the administration's bailout plan.

Go Captain O!!!

Just the right response.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
"We can handle both." Very nice.
0 Replies

thegalacticemperor

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 01:58 pm
The presidential candidates are not needed in Washington other than to cast a vote and will not help anything by delaying the debates. They each need to say that they are against the bailouts so they don't look like they care more about Wall Street than they do about taxpayers. McCain is just strategically posturing so as to be seen as leader. The election, and debates, should proceed without interruption or delay. McCain knows he is at a political disadvantage this week and is trying to stall. McCain is also keen on seizing the opportunity to take political advantage of this fear-inducing situation. He even invoked 911 during his address this morning. McCain to the rescue! BS! This is so transparent and infuriating.

<happier now> Glad Obama seems to be calling him on it!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Obama claims that this was his idea in the first place and now he is calling BS... what a turd!
thegalacticemperor

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:15 pm
@H2O MAN,
I have not heard nor read that Obama ever proposed postponing the debate. Where are you getting this info?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:25 pm
obama is head in the polls.

depending on what issue; i've seen 45 - 39, obama. 53 - 42, obama. 53 - 39, obama.

that's the crisis that mccain is likely most worried about.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:28 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Absolutely right.

Word is that Obama is going to speak today and insist that the debates continue.

Here's the statement from the U of Mississippi:

Quote:
University of Mississippi statement
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:09 PM by Domenico Montanaro
Filed Under: 2008, Obama, Michigan

From NBC/NJ's Matthew Berger
From the Chancellor's Office, University of Mississippi:

"The University of Mississippi is going forward with the preparation for the debate. We are ready to host the debate, and we expect the debate to occur as planned.

"At present, the University has received no notification of any change in the timing or venue of the debate.

"We have been notified by the Commission on Presidential Debates that we are proceeding as scheduled.

"We will keep you posted as information becomes available."

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Barney Frank tells it like it is!

Quote:
Barney Frank on McCain, Hail Marys
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:26 PM by Domenico Montanaro
Filed Under: Congress, Democrats, 2008, McCain

From NBC's Mike Viqueira
For what it's worth, the man who is leading congressional Democrats in negotiating the bailout deal with the administration isn't impressed with Sen. McCain's announcement.

Rep. Barney Frank told a group of reporters outside the House chamber:

"It's the longest Hail Mary pass in the history of either football or Marys.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/24/1442448.aspx

Go Dems! Call him out on his BS immediately!

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Heh! That was a good one.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:38 pm
@sozobe,
McCain has truly, and 100%, screwed himself on this one. This was a bone-headed call if I ever saw one.

Why? Because there is no good outcome to this for him.

Here are two posts from The Corner, talking about this -

Quote:

Debate Strategy [Mark R. Levin]

Ok, let's say the debate is suspended by both camps. Then what? Bush is pushing hard for some kind of massive bailout deal, and will do so in his speech tonight. The conservatives in Congress are resisting all of this - and good for them. McCain says we have to get something done and work together, which means some kind of massive deal that is unlikely to satisfy conservatives. I hope McCain and his advisors have thought this through beyond today and tomorrow, gimmick or no gimmick.

09/24 04:34 PM

Re: Debate Strategy [Jonah Goldberg]

Mark makes a good point. If McCain does go to Congress and helps rally reluctant Republicans (and they really are reluctant). It will in effect become the McCain bailout, at least as far as conservatives are concerned.

09/24 04:29 PM

What's the upside for McCain if he gets the bailout legislation passed? Conservatives are dead-set against such a huge public bailout. It will in effect be the McCain bailout.

And if he fails, then he shows that he isn't able to do what he said - bring the two sides together.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that the economy isn't going to just collapse overnight if there is no bailout. So I don't buy the 'doomsday' scenarios and neither does anyone else. This is a trap for McCain either way.

Couldn't be happier Laughing !!!!

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm still just shaking my head at this.

Steve Benen:

Quote:
Apparently, as McCain sees it, 10 days after the Wall Street crisis began, now he wants to head back to Capitol Hill to do some work. Of course, lawmakers and administration officials have been working quite a bit, but McCain, who has played no direct role in the negotiations thus far, wants to swoop in and tell everyone what they need to do. This from a man who hasn't shown up for work at all in literally months.

What's more, after whining incessantly for months about the need for one-on-one debates, McCain has decided, just 48 hours before the first official debate, that everything should be postponed. And Barack Obama should go along with all of this, because McCain says so.

I've never even heard of a presidential candidate acting in such a reckless, compulsive, and ultimately haphazard fashion. McCain just decided to "suspend" campaign activities? This rivals picking Sarah Palin for the ticket on the list of desperation moves.

McCain spoke at some length yesterday about the nature of the economic crisis, and what he'd like to see happen. But at the time, it apparently never occurred to him to get actually get involved in the process. That is, until today.

The Republican nomination has apparently gone to some kind of man-child who believes stunts and gimmicks are the way to the White House. It is nothing short of breathtaking to see someone so manifestly unserious seek the highest office in the land.

The moment the winds shifted and Obama had a growing lead in the polls, it's time to suspend the campaign. Good lord, McCain really does think voters are idiots.

and later:

Quote:
As we talked about earlier, McCain said yesterday he's looking for a variety of things in the bailout package before he makes up his mind, including "greater accountability," a "path for taxpayers to recover the money," "complete transparency," and a mechanism to prevent Wall Street executives from profiting from taxpayer money. Obama had expressed his own ideas on measures that the bailout package should include, 48 hours earlier, and the lists were nearly identical.

So, this morning, Obama called McCain with a straightforward idea: if both candidates supported similar provisions, the two sides could endorse a joint set of principles. McCain, this afternoon, agreed. Obama did this quietly, away from the media spotlight, and without leaking anything to the media. Just one candidate looking for a bipartisan solution with a rival candidate. Everyone was happy.

And almost immediately after an agreement was reached, McCain, in the middle of debate prep, decides it's time for a stunt. How very sad that McCain's desperation has become this transparent.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:50 pm
Obama is attempting to wrap his brain around what just happened.
He wants to take credit for whatever good happens, but he's not sure what to say or do.

I guess Obama will let us know what is going on in his mind once the dust settles.

As for the debate:
Obama passed on every single town hall style debate McCain invited him to participate in.
Only now does he think a debate is currently more important than anything else.

Gargamel

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Obama is attempting to wrap his brain around what just happened.
He wants to take credit for whatever good happens, but he's not sure what to say or do.

You're a horrible psychic. Stick to making water soft.

Also, your asshole is not a crystal ball. Just FYI.

Regards,
Gargamel
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:57 pm
@Gargamel,

Go away Gargoyle, you have nothing of substance to offer here.