mccain begs off

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:59 pm
Just watched Obama's press conference. Really well done. Will look for a transcript later to pull some quotes but his overall message was "This is important. I have been working on it. I will continue to work on it. I will do whatever is most helpful. But ya know, presidents have to handle more than one thing at once. We can do both." (Paraphrase.)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:01 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Just watched Obama's press conference. Really well done. Will look for a transcript later to pull some quotes but his overall message was "This is important. I have been working on it. I will continue to work on it. I will do whatever is most helpful. But ya know, presidents have to handle more than one thing at once. We can do both." (Paraphrase.)

He said, 'It's actually MORE important now, that we hold these debates. These crisis situations throw into relief how important it is that the American people understand who they are going to be electing to run this thing in 40 days.'

Nice job Obama, calling McCain's bluff.

Per TPM, Soz, the bill is 98% done, Treasury has capitulated on pretty much every point, and McCain is going to just swoop in and try and take credit for it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:01 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
...you have nothing of substance to offer here.

Now that's funny. Each of your entries is the equivalent of you standing in front of A2K pissing your pants, H20man.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:05 pm
@JTT,
Once again, the Conservatives are noticing that this is already going badly for McCain -

Quote:
The Debate Debate [Kathryn Jean Lopez]

Obama is on TV right now.

Some of this is a lot of nonsense, but if I’m just getting home from work and I only pay casual attention to these debates, Obama sounds reasonable and less gimmicky than McCain.

He says that there is no reason why we can’t do more than one thing at once. Obama says it is "more important than ever" to have a debate.

Obama says he called McCain this morning and announced that he wanted to do a no-politics-as-usual joint statement about addressing the market mess. He says that McCain wanted to insist on meeting with the president and congressional leaders too. Obama says Obama said: Let’s do the statement, go from there. Obama says he thought McCain was thinking about the joint statement, working on with staff, when McCain went on TV. So now Obama is on TV.

Obama says he's told Pelosi, Reid, and Paulson that "if I can be helpful, I am prepared to be [in dc] anytime" but I don’t want to infuse presidential politics on the hill and goes on about how presidents need to be able to multitask.

Obama may win this campaign moment yet. If McCain protests, he looks petty.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=Njc4ZjA1NjEyZDYyMjJlNzJiODhhZThhZjRkNGNjOWI=

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:06 pm
@sozobe,

Obama fully realizes that he is following a leader and is not sure how to handle the situation.

If Obama does not take action and go to Washington, his run for the presidency will be all but over.

eoe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:09 pm
@H2O MAN,
Keep hope alive! Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:10 pm
Quote:
"The University of Mississippi is going forward with the preparation for the debate. We are ready to host the debate, and we expect the debate to occur as planned.

"At present, the University has received no notification of any change in the timing or venue of the debate.

"We have been notified by the Commission on Presidential Debates that we are proceeding as scheduled.

"We will keep you posted as information becomes available.".[quote/]

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/24/1442165.aspx
squinney

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:12 pm
@squinney,
Quote:
Ole Miss Official Says Debate Cancellation Would be 'Devastating'
Email
Share September 24, 2008 4:14 PM

ABC News' Tahman Bradley Reports: A senior University of Mississippi official reacted Wednesday to the news that Sen. John McCain R-Ariz., wants to postpone Friday's presidential debate, saying that such a move would be "devastating" for the university which has already invested millions in preparation for the debate.

Andrew Mullins, special assistant to university Chancellor Robert Khayat, told ABC News that the Ole Miss campus has been transformed to accommodate the candidates and the press. Road blocks are in place on campus and in the community and the debate television set for the candidates has already been constructed. He said the university has spent roughly five and half million dollars getting ready for the debate.

Mullins also noted that if the Commission on Presidential Debates asks the campus to hold the debate at a later date, he is not sure the university would be able to accommodate them.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/ole-miss-offici.html
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:12 pm
@dyslexia,
This campaign is one of choosing a basic philosophy.

I do not consider it likely that any significant number of voters
will change their minds upon the basis of debates.

Maybe if we were electing the president of a debating club . . .
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
This campaign is one of choosing a basic philosophy.

As you've mentioned ad nauseum. It's all about your personal freedom. The basic philosophy you've chosen to follow is a morally bankrupt one. But hey, go for it David.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:29 pm
@JTT,
Survey USA snap poll -

Quote:
America's First Reaction: Friday's McCain-Obama Debate Should Still Be Held On Friday, But Perhaps with New Focus: Immediately after John McCain's announcement 3 pm ET today, Wednesday 09/24/08, that he was suspending his campaign and seeking to postpone Friday's schedule presidential debate, SurveyUSA interviewed 1,000 adults nationwide. Key findings:

A majority of Americans say the debate should be held. Just 10% say the debate should be postponed. A sizable percentage of Americans, 36%, think the focus of the debate should be modified to focus more on the economy. 3 of 4 Americans say the presidential campaign should continue. Just 14% say the presidential campaign should be suspended. If Friday's debate does not take place 46%, of Americans say that would be bad for America.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReportUC.aspx?g=54d651a7-a62b-4420-bb32-9dd6b2df8c02
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:04 pm
All of a sudden McCain realizes that the test is on Friday and after, how many years, 70 or so, he still hasn't studied. This is the same type of stupendous effort that allowed McCain to graduate 894th out of 899 in his class at Annapolis.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:08 pm
@dyslexia,
Don't quite see how he thinks he's going to help - he's an idiot. Or how the three of them, Obama, himself and Bush, are going to affect any outcomes when the best financial minds in the country are unable to.

This is just grandstanding.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:33 pm
seems to me mccain has abandoned "main street america" to return to the security of the "corrupt good ole boys" of washington d.c. perhaps he will haventime to visit the other "corrupt good ole boys" on wall street on his way to the senate.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:41 pm
@dyslexia,
Fox is reporting that McCain wants to re-schedule the debate for Oct. 2nd, and push the VP DEBATE back to some 'unspecified time.'

LOLZ

Isn't it transparently obvious what they are trying to do? Do they really think people will be fooled by all this?

Cycloptichorn
mags314772

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:21 pm
Obama made the statement to the effect that a candidate for president should be able to handle more than one crisis at once. Why not work on the financial crisis AND debate
Mame

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:43 pm
@mags314772,
mags314772 wrote:

Obama made the statement to the effect that a candidate for president should be able to handle more than one crisis at once. Why not work on the financial crisis AND debate

Because he's a chickenshit.
mags314772

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:06 pm
@Mame,
who?
Mame

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:07 pm
@mags314772,
Sorry, McCain
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:44 pm
When you know you're losing the game, punt.