Do you think this is a crazy idea?

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:58 am
Okay, here's the situation.

I'm currently subletting an apt in the West End of Vancouver and my rent, which includes everything, comes to $565 per month, which is half of her total expenses. Judy, who I'm subletting from, is staying with her dying brother, looking after him and she can stay in his apt once he's gone. She didn't want to give up her apt but is finding it tough, financially, even though she's staying for free at his place. Anyway, we agreed that as of January 1, I would pay her total rent ($920/mo). She would pay the other expenses because her stuff is still in the apt.

That's still pretty cheap for Vancouver, so it was fine with me. I'm really not home most of the time, being in camps a lot but I kind of wanted a home base. However, I expect I will be away even more next year and was wondering why pay $900/mo when some months I'm not even there. My sister suggested I just move out, rent a storage locker for the few things I have, and just buzz around and stay with people, like her, Alex, my daughter, and some friends. You know, visit people but have no fixed address.

Alex wants me to move in with him but while I'm not ready for that I could certainly stay with him for a month or so at a time. I could help my daughter out with her kids, and as I said, visit other family and friends, and even go on holiday. It would actually be a hoot.

So it would be just me, my car, and a storage locker Smile

I dunno... what do you think? Does this sound like a crazy scheme?

I can't really think of any problems with this idea. All I really need with me are some clothes and my cookbooks. What I'd be storing are art and sewing things, mainly. My ex can keep the furniture or we can sell what he doesn't want.

I'm looking forward to your opinions.

roger

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:06 am
@Mame,
Sounds like what I would have called a dream existance - 40 years ago.

Would this leave your friend in a serious bind, though?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:08 am
@Mame,
It sounds like fun, if u have enuf friends.

Do u use a tent, when u go to the camps ?
Joeblow

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:09 am
@Mame,
Sounds like it could be fun for a bit and you'd save a few bucks...you'd have the time and the freedom to travel about some, but personally, I think I'd quickly tire of it.

As a self admitted homebody, I crave...require... my own space. I don't do "guest," very well for very long.

You sure don't strike me as the type to be rooted in a place, though, so why not, sez I. You can settle later when you feel like it.
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:12 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Sounds like what I would have called a dream existance - 40 years ago.

Would this leave your friend in a serious bind, though?

No, it wouldn't, Rog. She would just give her notice for Dec 1 and get her stuff out. They require 2 months' notice when vacating. She'd save her share for December.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

It sounds like fun, if u have enuf friends.

Do u use a tent, when u go to the camps ?

Yes, but not the tents you're thinking of. These are 10 x 14 and have a plywood floor, alum frames and canvas coverings. In winter they install an oil stove. They build four wooden bunks (single size) with 4" foam on top for each tent. Only the cook and/or medic (esp if they're female) get their own tent because of early rising and bedtimes and medical disturbances.
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:16 am
@Joeblow,
Yeah, I can see myself tiring of it, too, and wonder how long I would last. The question I have is where do I want to live?
Joeblow

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:20 am
@Mame,
Well, if you went with the plan, you should get lots of exposure to different places. One of them might be calling your name!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:30 am
From how you described the circumstances for both you and your rommie, I'd say "go for it." It seems very practical without putting your rommie into a bind, and there's enough time now to make the change.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:31 am
@cicerone imposter,
I also have an ulterior motive; you can come down next summer to our 4th San Francisco gathering. he he he...
LionTamerX

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:44 am
@Mame,
I think it's a great idea. I lived for about 5 years this way (9 months on the road, 3 months in friends houses) They were some of the best years I've had.

You'll gain a new sense of freedom, and you can always change your mind and settle down if it suits you.
mac11

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:53 am
@Mame,
I lived like this for a few years in the 90s. It worked out great, and I saved a lot of money.

You might consider getting a post office box in addition to the storage unit.
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:31 pm
@mac11,
Mac11 - excellent idea re the postal box! Thank you.
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI, I've been thinking about that, too. If I'm not in camp, I'd love to see you again. I'll have to find that thread again and reread it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:34 pm
@LionTamerX,
Thank you. I'm glad to hear others have done this and it was okay. Maybe I just wonder if it's crazy because I'm a grandma. But the whole thing resonates with me. It sounds like fun. This whole freedom from everything is so wonderful, I can't begin to tell you.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:36 pm
@Mame,
Oh my.

Have I said that I envy you yet? Because if I have not, oh my I suuuuuure do.

And I would do exactly what you are describing.
There is nothing wrong with renting a hotel inbetween visits either just to have some time to yourself and a place to be quiet for a while.

Throw in some cross country flights too ( HINT ~*******~ HINT ) and enjoy your freedom. Smile
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:49 pm
@shewolfnm,
Ah, Shewolfnm... that is a fabulous idea! What's the weather like in January, Feb, March? Feel like some company? Need someone to position your clients or carry your camera? Need a babysitter?
LionTamerX

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:54 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Thank you. I'm glad to hear others have done this and it was okay. Maybe I just wonder if it's crazy because I'm a grandma. But the whole thing resonates with me. It sounds like fun. This whole freedom from everything is so wonderful, I can't begin to tell you.

Mame, your last sentence says all you need to know.

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:54 pm
@Mame,
yes
Yes
Cold-ish ( light jacket with long sleeves is fine)
Yes
and sure!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:57 pm
@Mame,
Call me insane if you wish, I still wont take my meds.. but..

One of the best times of my life ws when I was out right, truly homeless..

living in my vehicle, no absolutely no responsibilities..I wake up do as i want , go where i want with little regard to entertaining myself and taking care of myself.

I miss it sometimes. Almost in my bones. Though, now as a parent I could not do it ..... well... yes I could. But I dont want to. that is something I would do as a single woman .