Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 01:03 pm
@Mame,
What camps do u attend ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 01:36 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
Call me insane if you wish, I still wont take my meds.. but..

One of the best times of my life ws when I was out right, truly homeless..

living in my vehicle,
no absolutely no responsibilities..I wake up do as i want ,
go where i want with little regard to entertaining myself and taking care of myself.

It sounds like your vehicle was your HOME
ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 01:46 pm
@Mame,
You know what they say: guests are like fish; they stink after 3 (or 5 or 7, depending on which who you ask) days.

I don't much like being a guest, or having guests - so your scheme sounds on the far side of crazy to me.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:16 pm
I enjoy being a guest for brief periods (a few days at most) with people I really enjoy being with. I love having guests and welcome and encourage folks to come as much as they can--our guest rooms have revolving doors and multiple sets of clean sheets so I can move folks through on a moment's notice. The back rooms and bathroom are situated for maximum privacy and you can even forget somebody is back there unless they come out to talk or eat. Smile

But I also enjoy having my own space and alone time, and soon miss that when I am a guest in situations where that is difficult to obtain. I definitely would not choose inability to have my own space or alone time as a prolonged or permanent condition.

My advice is to keep your own pad for awhile and try out the potential new lifestyle for a reasonable test period before making any firm decisions.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:29 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Call me insane if you wish, I still wont take my meds.. but..

One of the best times of my life ws when I was out right, truly homeless..

living in my vehicle, no absolutely no responsibilities..I wake up do as i want , go where i want with little regard to entertaining myself and taking care of myself.

I miss it sometimes. Almost in my bones. Though, now as a parent I could not do it ..... well... yes I could. But I dont want to. that is something I would do as a single woman .

Yeah, my ex suggested I buy a travel trailer or camper van instead. Now that's a good suggestion. Lots of places to park those babies.

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:31 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, ehBeth, you and Foxfyre make valid points. I sure wouldn't want to impose on anyone. Maybe I'll look into the camper van idea. Thanks for pointing that out.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:40 pm
@Mame,
It isn't so much imposing on somebody as few are 'imposed' on when you are welcome in their home. Very few people come to stay with us that I don't enjoy immensely while they are here. And my home is designed so that privacy isn't that difficult to come by for me or anybody else.

For me, the problem is the inability to fully relax and just be myself and do my own thing when I am a guest in somebody else's home. Even during quiet times, there is the obligation to be a responsible, courteous, good guest. There is no license to be selfish and sometimes you just need to be a bit selfish.

So for me, moving in with somebody else unless it was mutually agreed and for mutual benefit would not be an attractive option.

An RV or self-contained camper trailer where you could take your space with you does sound do-able though.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:41 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
guests are like fish; they stink after 3
(or 5 or 7, depending on which who you ask) days.

A guest stink$ LE$$, when he take$ care of hi$ ho$t or ho$te$$.

I usually prefer to stay in a good HOTEL, tho thay beg
and plead with u and insist that u stay with them; almost like getting kidnapped.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:42 pm
@Mame,
Y r u naked ?

David
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 03:03 pm
@shewolfnm,
I've had some of my best times when I was doing something seemingly reckless, footloose, and fancy free. Even now I can imagine putting my most dear stuff in storage, selling the house and hanging out with friends for a while. But, for me that tactic has a number of serious flaws. For you, I can see it for a while.

Hard to say, since we are all different. I do have a nesting "gene" - but I've been able to make different places an immediate home on short notice, even on some of my travels, I tend to make a neighborhood 'mine' near immediately. We all come from different places re craving for freedom, or craving for a place of one's own, or an urge to explore and explore right now. Since you are reasonable solvent and have work potential in varied circumstances, I think it's a great time for you to play in this way.

I've read some pieces by expatriots who complain (well, no, all don't, maybe even relatively few, but some do) of a sense of nowhere really being home. I moved around a lot, relatively speaking, as a child, and tend to gather my places as a cluster, sort of an enlarged home site over time. But others might feel untethered.

Comes back to a Mommas and Papas song about "go where you want to go, do what you want to do". That was blasting in my little red fiat spyder convertible the day I was driving down Santa Monica Blvd. making a few decisions..

actually, looking back, at least one of those was a dumb decision, having to do with quitting my job, and a certain boyfriend, but it all worked out later, one way or another.

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 03:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Y r u naked ?

David

Always
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 03:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Backing up, I also agree with ehBeth about guests being like fish.
I also used to go nutso when visiting LA and seeing and staying with friends and family, sometimes, given the geography, especially if I stayed with a friend on the driving trip to LA, as many as five places. I'd start to forget to whom I'd told what, and that was the least of it.

But I separate that from leaving your present apartment (an apartment that sounds great to me). You can always live in small cottages, etc., given adequate income.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 03:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, osso. I'm just feeling so free and don't want to be tied down to anything. And I don't want to use my friends, or feel like I am, either. I am really liking the camper van thing... I'm researching that now.

Foxfyre - I understand about the need to be yourself in your space and how visitors can affect that. I don't feel that way but my ex sure does. When we have company and I need space, I just go to my bedroom or go out. But then, I'm a very social creature.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 03:17 pm
@Mame,
Well prolonged visitors can affect that, but I rarely feel imposed on by our house guests. I too am a very social creature and love having people come.

I was more focused on how I am affected by being in the position of being a guest and how that can become taxing.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:51 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Always

Actually, I was inviting u to express the reason
for it; I am a person who has long been very interested in reasoning and thought processes.

David
P.S.:
I know someone who even drives his car naked.
At least he says he does; (I think he 's honest).
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:14 pm
@Foxfyre,
Yeh. I've only been a long time guest in one place , with Diane and Dys when I moved from New Mexico, and it was not generally trying though a push for Diane (for which I don't blame her) and slightly for me, in a sort of weird space re myself. But, it was as good as something like that can work and we remain pals.

My niece used to stay for a week or so and I'd sort of weary from the intense talks at the same time I treasured them and get into it. I tended to cry as I watched her get on the plane.

I've a friend with a house in a nice place, who had always had a certain independent mindset. Her rule, 'you're on your own', announced to one and all. When we all used to smoke, hers was the first house where we had to go outside in the storming rain tat one in the morning to smoke..

But, bull, some time later.. The minute I drove up commenced the big interview... and the dinner making, and the talk with her and her husband until very late, and the visit to somewhere the next day (that's how I know about Filoli and the SF MOMA, and much else). I think she likes me since I'm as bitchily independent. (Time to call her.)
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

for it; I am a person who has long been very interested in reasoning and thought processes.

No...

you just want details of the very cute lady who claims to be naked.. Wink
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
It sounds like your vehicle was your HOME

David,

the term splitting hairs would apply here.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:17 pm
@ossobuco,
I lied. I was also occasionally a week long guest with my business partner and husband, before I moved north. Thus my story about airing the house when I cooked (garlic, you know, open the doors...)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 06:19 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
David,

the term splitting hairs would apply here.

not a big deal; (. . . just pointing out)

There have been times, camping,
that I was too lazy to put up my tent;
my car was so comfortable. . . .