I'm Watching Palin On ABC

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 06:27 am
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:

waterman said

Quote:
Re: kuvasz (Post 3400214)
Kindly shut your ignorant mouth before more lies jump out.

Nice comeback.

Thanks Cool
revel

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 07:43 am
@fishin,
Quote:
Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God.

There is no way to misinterpret or take out of context that statement as it very clear cut. She said our national leader are sending 'them' on a task that is from God. In other words God has sent a task to the leaders of the US to attack and occupy Iraq.

Bull crap
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 07:50 am
@revel,
In other words, you don't want to accept the truth.
revel

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:17 am
@H2O MAN,
What truth would that be, waterboy, that God put a task out for us to attack Iraq? No I don't accept that lie.

Quote:
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Mat. 7:22-23
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:29 am
One of the reasons Sarah Palin performs so well on TV is that she is a former sports reporter before she got involved in politics. ---BBB
---------------------------------------------------

In 1988, John McCain's Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin was a sports reporter for KTUU-TV in Anchorage, Alaska.

Sporting serious '80s hair, the 24-year-old, Alaskan native - then Sarah Heath - rattled off Knicks highlights, reported on the Iditarod, and declared that the Dodgers baseball manager Tommy Lasorda needed to learn how to relax.

In her high school yearbook, Palin said she wanted to sit in a broadcast booth with Howard Cosell broadcasting basketball games played by her then boyfriend, Todd Palin, the Globe and Mail reported.

Palin was the star player on her high school basketball team in 1982, earning her the nickname "Sarah Barracuda” for her defensive skills on the court.

Palin is also a former beauty queen.

Twenty-four years before making history as the first woman on a Republican presidential ticket, Alaska Governor Palin came in second place at the Miss Alaska pageant in 1984 and was voted "Miss Congeniality" by other contestants.

Since then, Palin served two terms on the Wasilla City Council before becoming mayor of the town -- the state's fastest-growing with a population of 6,715 -- in 1996.

Palin won the governorship in 2006. She is the state's youngest and first female governor.

0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:32 am
For me, that whole discussion about what she may or may not have meant is nothing but a distraction and attempt to rally the conservative christian right voters who DO believe God sends out such telepathic orders.

Whether we are doing gods will, god is on our side, we are on a task from god, praying we are doing what god wants us to do... Silly! How do you pray to god that you are doing his will, following through on a task he approves of when it involves killing innocent people?

I think there are a few other groups in the world that also claim to be fulfilling a task from god. We call them terrorists.

THAT is what makes it ridiculous to even mention. Cut through the **** and wake up to the fact that killing each other for resources is not what Jesus would do.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:59 am
As a member of the "Christian Right", I wonder why I have never received such 'telepathic orders?' I'm unaware of any other Christians, except for a few true nuts, that talk about stuff like that so I'm presuming it isn't a biggie in the Christian community.

Let’s use Freeduck’s favorite fact checking site re charges against Palin. I’ve long suspected that Factcheck has been somewhat biased to the left due to the ideological makeup of its parent organzation, but even Factcheck had to agree that the ridiculous lies being circulated by Palin need exposure for what they are:

Summary
Quote:
Palin did not cut funding for special needs education in Alaska by 62 percent. She didn’’t cut it at all. In fact, she increased funding and signed a bill that will triple per-pupil funding over three years for special needs students with high-cost requirements.

She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a "What if?" question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin's first term.

She was never a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, a group that wants Alaskans to vote on whether they wish to secede from the United States. She’’s been registered as a Republican since May 1982.

Palin never endorsed or supported Pat Buchanan for president. She once wore a Buchanan button as a "courtesy" when he visited Wasilla, but shortly afterward she was appointed to co-chair of the campaign of Steve Forbes in the state.

Palin has not pushed for teaching creationism in Alaska's schools. She has said that students should be allowed to "debate both sides" of the evolution question, but she also said creationism "doesn't have to be part of the curriculum."

Details on all points here:
http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/sliming_palin.html

On the beauty queen analogy some like to flaunt as somehow significant: Palin has six siblings. As she explained it, there was no way her parents could help send her to college and academic scholarship monies were insufficient. So she used her God given physical attributes to enter beauty pageants going after the scholarship monies. And that is mostly how she put herself through college. (Interview with somebody"can’t remember who but if anybody cares, I'm sure it can be collaborated.)

On the infamous ‘task from God’ YouTube clip that omits the qualifying statement"the full clip shows Sarah’s actual opinion"she clarified it again with Charlie Gibson:
Quote:
Gibson quoted her as saying: "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God."

But Palin said she was referencing a famous quote by Abraham Lincoln.
"I would never presume to know God's will or to speak God's words. But what Abraham Lincoln had said, and that's a repeat in my comments, was let us not pray that God is on our side in a war or any other time, but let us pray that we are on God's side."

When asked if she believed she was "sending [her] son on a task that is from God," Palin said: "I don't know if the task is from God, Charlie. What I know is that my son has made a decision. I am so proud of his independent and strong decision he has made, what he decided to do and serving for the right reasons and serving something greater than himself and not choosing a real easy path where he could be more comfortable and certainly safer
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/Story?id=5778018&page=4
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:19 am
@squinney,
No, but the Pharisees are famous for it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 10:05 am
@fishin,
fishin wrote:
The nonsense you and many of the news stories are spewing is based on a partial quote she made to students and takes her statement out of context. [..] The complete original statement was "Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan.".

Now where in there did she say that our national leaders sent troops on a task from God?

I'm all for factchecking and context, but I admit I dont wholly see your point here. I mean, I see a bit of it - I just dont see how it changes much about the controversy.

Reviewing the complete quote you posted, what she asked them was to "pray .. that our leaders .. are sending them out on a task that is from God." Right?

I can see the factcheck in that she didnt say our leaders are sending the troops out on a task that is from God; instead she said we should pray that our leaders are sending the troops out on a task that is from God.

Fair enough, that's a distinction of sorts. But does it really change anything about the beef people are expressing with it?

Instead of implying that when US troops go abroad to fight a war or police a country or however you want to label their current task in Iraq, they are on a task from God, she's saying that they should be on a task from God. Sounds equally offensive to me. US troops are not fighting on God's orders, and neither should they be. It's not a holy war.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 10:17 am
@nimh,
IMO stating that we should pray that we are on God's side is no different than saying that we should pray that we are doing the right thing. Religious prejudice that attempts to condemn a person just because they phrase a conviction with a religious term is not intellectually honest.

Palin has been perfectly reasonable in her conjecture and explanations and does not come across as any kind of religious nut or fanatic. To accuse her otherwise is disingenuous and could even be described as 'swiftboating'.

The people doing this to her are the same people who rightfully condemned those who took Obama's words out of context and used "Whatever we once were, we're no longer a Christian nation." This is an entirely outrageous comment if you don't add the qualifying statement that immediatley followed: "At least not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, and a Buddhist nation, and a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers," (Obama June 2007 speech available on YouTube.)
fishin

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:40 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

fishin wrote:
The nonsense you and many of the news stories are spewing is based on a partial quote she made to students and takes her statement out of context. [..] The complete original statement was "Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan.".

Now where in there did she say that our national leaders sent troops on a task from God?

I'm all for factchecking and context, but I admit I dont wholly see your point here. I mean, I see a bit of it - I just dont see how it changes much about the controversy.

Reviewing the complete quote you posted, what she asked them was to "pray .. that our leaders .. are sending them out on a task that is from God." Right?

I can see the factcheck in that she didnt say our leaders are sending the troops out on a task that is from God; instead she said we should pray that our leaders are sending the troops out on a task that is from God.

Fair enough, that's a distinction of sorts. But does it really change anything about the beef people are expressing with it?

Instead of implying that when US troops go abroad to fight a war or police a country or however you want to label their current task in Iraq, they are on a task from God, she's saying that they should be on a task from God. Sounds equally offensive to me. US troops are not fighting on God's orders, and neither should they be. It's not a holy war.

No, she isn't saying that they should be on a task from God.

From her religious belief system, there is a God and that God already knows everything that will happen until the end of time - that he (or she) has a "plan" for the universe and that we, human beings, have no way of knowing what that plan is. Hence the concept of "faith" and living what she (and many others like her) think is the "right" lifestyle. Her religious belief system doesn't presume to have a detailed list of tasks that are from God (although some others have claimed in the past to have been directed by God to perform specific tasks. But that's another issue for their own mental health professionals.) for the human race to tick off over the centuries.

She didn't say that they should (or shouldn't) be on a task from God. What she is saying that she hopes that the plan Bush and Co. had (or didn't have!) is aligned with the plan that she believes God already has. There is nothing either stated nor implied about anyone doing anything on God's orders.

To put it in an entirely secular context, her statement would be no different than the Commander of NATO issuing an order to NATO troops while a meeting of the UN Security Council is going on and then a lower level NATO officer telling someone that he hopes the order is is accordance with whatever the Secuirty Council decides upon. For most of the secular world the response to such a comment would be "Yeah, no ****!".
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:06 pm
@fishin,
if God already knows everything that is going to happen....then what's the point of ever trying to change things and where does free will come in?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:08 pm
Just a personal observation, but Palin's belief system is f*cking stupid, childish, simplistic, and one that I want nowhere near operational control of our military.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Go ahead and vote for your polished liberal turd and the old white guy... it won't change anything.
squinney

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
No kidding. The difference with the NATO/ Security Council example is that as soon as the meeting adjourns we know the decision.

When do we find out if we are right or wrong from god?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:08 pm
@H2O MAN,
nor will a vote for the ancient guy and the world's luckiest logging camp cocktail waitress...
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:10 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,

You think Palin is luckiest woman in the world?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:14 pm
@H2O MAN,
no...there's also Madonna
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:16 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
You can have and keep Madonna.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:21 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I'm an old fashioned guy.... I like a girl with an immune system....