I'm Watching Palin On ABC

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:35 pm
@FreeDuck,
Too bad the same can't be said for your ultra-liberal breathren. And you called my remarks immature? Look at the posts above...
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:39 pm
@Woiyo9,
I said Palin was stupid not to realize that she is unprepared to be vice president. Self-knowledge apparently does not occure to her.

BBB
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:41 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Palin is more prepared to be president than Obama is prepared to be vice president.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:46 pm
@McGentrix,
What am I, the immature police? I have to go around decreeing immaturity even at posts not directed at me? I think you can handle yourself.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:48 pm
@FreeDuck,
Sorry, I must have mistaken you for a duck that cares.

My apologies.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:48 pm
@McGentrix,
You cut me deep, Shrek.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:50 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Palin is more prepared to be president than Obama is prepared to be vice president.

2 + 3 = 8
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:53 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

2 + 3 = 8

I see you attended government schools
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:31 pm
@H2O MAN,
Sponsored by McCain and Palin.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:51 pm
Press Reviews Palin Performance on ABC
By E&P Staff
Published: September 11, 2008

Early press reactions to the much-awaited first installment of Charles Gibson's ABC interview with Sarah Palin follows.

The Associated Press: "Palin said other than a trip to visit soldiers in Kuwait and Germany last year " 'a trip of a lifetime' that 'changed my life' " her only other foreign travel was to Mexico and Canada. She also said she had never met a head of state and added: 'If you go back in history and if you ask that question of many vice presidents, they may have the same answer that I just gave you.'

"Pressed about what insights into recent Russian actions she gained by living in Alaska, Palin answered: 'They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.'

"In the interview Thursday, Palin appeared unsure of the Bush doctrine " essentially that the United States must help spread democracy to stop terrorism and that the nation will act pre-emptively to stop potential foes.

"Asked whether she agreed with that, Palin said: 'In what respect, Charlie?' Gibson pressed her for an interpretation of it. She said: 'His world view.' That prompted Gibson to say 'no, the Bush doctrine, enunciated September 2002, before the Iraq war' and describe it to her."

The New York Times: "ABC News delivered the first glimpse of Ms. Palin without a script or a cheering audience, and it was a strained and illuminating conversation. Ms. Palin, who kept inserting Mr. Gibson’s nickname, 'Charlie,' into her answers, as if to convey an old hand’s conviviality, tried to project self-confidence, poise and even expertise: She let Mr. Gibson know that she had personally reassured the Georgian president and correctly pronounced his last name, Saakashvili. At times, her eyes looked uncertain and her voice hesitated, and she looked like a student trying to bend prepared answers to fit unexpected questions.

"Mr. Gibson, who sat back in his chair and wriggled his foot impatiently, had the skeptical, annoyed tone of a university president who agrees to interview the daughter of a trustee, but doesn’t believe she merits admission."

The Daily News-Miner of Fairbanks, Alaska: "Passengers on a tour bus and two truckloads of moose hunters lucked out Thursday afternoon with an unexpected opportunity to shake hands and say hello to Gov. Sarah Palin and her husband Todd Palin.

"During her second day back in Alaska after being tapped as Sen. John McCain’s running mate, Palin met up with ABC News’ Charles Gibson at the trans Alaska oil pipeline viewing site off the Steese Highway near Fox about eight miles north of Fairbanks. With ABC film crews and the Secret Service standing by, the Palins worked a line of tourists before posing for pictures with the moose hunters in front of one of two boats the men were hauling north to the Koyukuk River.

"Headed into the Alaska wilderness for 12 days, the moose hunters probably won’t get to see the interview. But they’ve got quite a story to relive around the campfire, as well as the governor’s blessing. 'Bye, guys!' she called out before climbing into a waiting SUV. 'Get a moose!'"
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

soz, It's interesting to see that her lies about "task from god" changed into "Lincoln." But, don't cha know, the conservatives ate it up! They just refuse to see the lie.

The nonsense you and many of the news stories are spewing is based on a partial quote she made to students and takes her statement out of context. Contrary to the assertion that she contradicted herself, the Lincoln quote was quite appropriate. The complete original statement was "Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan.".

Now where in there did she say that our national leaders sent troops on a task from God? Maybe you should worry about the lies you are eating up?

Woiyo9

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:19 pm
@FreeDuck,
Legitimate questions and too bad Charlie never asked them. I too would be interested in her answers to critical questions such as those you point out.

I might add one other questioe to Gov. Palin. What makes you think you are qualified to be President in the event something terrible happens to McCain.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:24 pm
@Woiyo9,
I think he came close to that last question when he asked her something like "do you have the experience, yada yada" (ok I'm not so good at paraphrasing). That's all well and good, but I'm actually more curious to know her intentions and ideas.

I'll be honest though, it's not like her answers would make me vote McCain this year regardless of how thoughtful. Eight years from now though... well, you never know. I hope that the GOP isn't killing her career by dragging her out prematurely.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:20 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm not voting either. Do you think I'm wasting my time, too? Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 08:05 pm
@fishin,
This is from the "Republican" National Convention:

Iraq War a 'Task From God,' Palin Said
By GENE JOHNSON
AP
posted: 8 DAYS 9 HOURS AGO
comments: 102
filed under: Election News, Republican Conventions News, John McCain, Sarah Palin

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Sept. 3) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."
In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

fishin, Your fishing in the wrong pond.
fishin

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

This is from the "Republican" National Convention:

Iraq War a 'Task From God,' Palin Said
By GENE JOHNSON
AP
posted: 8 DAYS 9 HOURS AGO
comments: 102
filed under: Election News, Republican Conventions News, John McCain, Sarah Palin

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Sept. 3) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."
In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

fishin, Your fishing in the wrong pond.

That's "from the "Republican" National Convention? In case you hadn't heard the RNC Convention was held in Minneapolis. Why is the byline in your quoted piece listed as "Anchorage, Alaksa"? I guess the basics of reading a byline is beyond you.

But I see you still follow that "If I repeat a lie often enough..." theory. You read an AP article and assumed that it was accurate. As I said earlier, it's both you and much of the press that is spewing the lie. Here's a link to The Huffington Post - hardly a right-wing WWW site by any means.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/02/palins-church-may-have-sh_n_123205.html

You'll note that they at least have the full quote and a copy of the video of her making the statement. In neither case did she state that either the war or the pipeline were God's will. She asked the students to pray that they were God's will... (or, in the case of the war, within "God's plan", whatever that is.)

You are capable of understanding the difference between me stating that I won the lottery and me asking someone to pray that I win the lottery, aren't you? Nah, that's probably giving you to much credit...

Fishing in the wrong pond? Ha! You aren't even near the water, you don't have a license and you lost your fishing gear years ago.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:28 pm
@H2O MAN,
waterman said
Quote:
Re: JTT (Post 3398810)
Hey douchebag, there has not been an illegal invasion of any sovereign country or war crimes perpetrated by the US.

Your inability to reconcile reality is scary.

You are a quite an intellectually shallow person who attacks anybody with whom you disagree, and the issue I have with your remarks is not that you are an ignorant little fool, because the world is full of your ilk, but that you revel in it.

You don't know a ******* thing about the items you talk about and constantly wear your ignorance like a badge of honor.

Now, lets talk about your crazy-as-a-shithouse rat remarks above..... The US has MOST CERTAINLY perpetrated war crimes and engaged in acts of war on nations with whom Congress has not declared war. Had instead they been done to the United States, false patriots like you would be screaming in indignation about it. Your ilk has the jingoistic streak of insanity to turn a blind eye to anything done by the US against other countries and deny them because you think that Americans can do no wrong. It spirals downward from a patriotic point of "my nation right or wrong" and plumbs the recesses of insanity to something akin to "my mother drunk or sober." That is not only childish, and immature, but shows that you are an intellectual coward who cannot face reality.

Under Article 2 of the United Nations Charter, member countries are not allowed to use armed force against another UN member. By mining harbors and certain raids against Nicaragua, the US used unlawful and unauthorized force against Nicaragua.

By illegally entering Nicaragua’s airspace with United States planes, the US violate Nicaragua’s sovereignty

So consider the following remarks written by the chairman of the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence to the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. Note further that this chairman was not some bleeding heart liberal or fellow traveler of left-wing rabel, no, he was the Republican candidate for president in 1964, and the father of modern conservatives, Barry Goldwater.

Now kindly shut your stupid, ignorant mouth until you speak from wisdom, instead of where you do usually, two feet inside of your rectum.

Quote:
United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
Washington D.C. 20510

April 9, 1984.

Hon. William J. Casey,
Director of Central Intelligence,
Central Intelligence Agency,
Washington, DC.

Dear Bill:

All this past weekend, I’ve been trying to figure out how I can most easily tell you my feelings about the discovery of the President having approved mining some of the harbors of Central America.

It gets down to one, little, simple phrase:

I am pissed off!

I understand you had briefed the House on this matter. I’ve heard that.

Now, during the important debate we had all last week and the week before, on whether we would increase funds for the Nicaragua program, we were doing all right, until a Member of the Committee charged that the President had approved the mining.

I strongly denied that because I had never heard of it.

I found out the next day that the CIA had, with the written approval of the President, engaged in such mining, and the approval came in February!

Bill, this is no way to run a railroad and I find myself in a hell of a quandary.

I am forced to apologize to the Members of the Intelligence Committee because I did not know the facts on this. At the same time, my counterpart in the House did know.

The President has asked us to back his foreign policy.

Bill, how can we back his foreign policy when we don’t know what the hell he is doing?

Lebanon, yes, we all knew that he sent troops over there.

But mine the harbors in Nicaragua?

This is an act violating international law.

It is an act of war.

For the life of me, I don’t see how we are going to explain it.

My simple guess is that the House is going to defeat this supplemental and we will not be in any position to put up much of an argument after we were not given the information we were entitled to receive; particularly, if my memory serves me correctly, when you briefed us on Central America just a couple of weeks ago.

And the order was signed before that.

I don’t like this.

I don’t like it one bit from the President or from you.

I don’t think we need a lot of lengthy explanations.

The deed has been done and, in the future, if anything like this happens, I’m going to raise one hell of a lot of fuss about it in public.

Sincerely,

Barry Goldwater,
Chairman.

Barry M. Goldwater (Chairman, Senate Select Committee on Intelligence), to William J. Casey, Director of Central Intelligence, letter dated April 9 1984, reprinted, “Goldwater Writes C.I.A. Director Scorching Letter” (Washington Post, April 11 1984, page A17), reprinted, “Text of Goldwater's Letter to Head of C.I.A.” (New York Times, April 11 1984, page A9), reprinted, Senate debate, “Nomination of Robert M. Gates, of Virginia, to be Director of Central Intelligence,” 137 Congressional Record S15901-S15949 {pf}, at S15923 (U.S. Congress 102-1, daily edition 137:162, November 5 1991) {SuDoc: X/A.102/1:137/162}.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jksonc/docs/US-mining-nicaragua-harbors.html
http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/honduras/contra-mining.htm

It was not only Barry Goldwater who considered these minings as acts of war and criminal but the International Courts, and in case your defense on these acts is to attack the International Courts, you ought to understand that the Bush administration used just such reprobation from these organs to support their invasion of Afghanistan. So, intellectually you cannot have it both ways, viz., to critcize the established organs of international justice in one case while using it to butress your position in another. For if you do, you reveal to everyone on this thread that you are a hypocrite, but then of course, you as well is the rest of us knew that already, didn't we?
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:32 pm
@kuvasz,
Kindly shut your ignorant mouth before more lies jump out.
kuvasz

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:39 pm
@H2O MAN,
waterman said

Quote:
Re: kuvasz (Post 3400214)
Kindly shut your ignorant mouth before more lies jump out.

Nice comeback. So, quoting a revered Republican icon on how the US violated international law and acted as war criminals is considered lying. BY YOU? What a maroon.

If you're man enough, you can prove that Goldwater was lying, if you can't, well, it just proves that you are just another in a long line of big-mouthed, right-wing blowhards who have no interest in the pursuit of truth, and simply want to disrupt civil discussion.

The fact remains, you do not know a thing about the topics you talk about and can't back up your words.
Woiyo9

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 06:24 am
WASHINGTON, Sept. 12 (UPI) -- There were no surprises, no knockout zingers, but also no bloopers Thursday night in Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's first TV interview since becoming the Republican vice presidential nominee.

Charles Gibson of ABC News was out for blood and inherently applied a double-standard compared with the kid gloves George Stephanopoulos used on Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois on Sunday night.

Gibson was out to embarrass Palin and expose her presumed ignorance from the word go. By contrast, when Obama referred to his "Muslim faith" on Sunday and did not correct himself, Stephanopoulos rushed in at once to help him and emphasize that the senator had really meant to say his Christian faith.

By contrast, Gibson tried to embarrass Palin by referring to her Christian faith in asking people to pray for U.S. soldiers in Iraq. Palin countered by pointing out she was following the precedent set by Abraham Lincoln.

Palin also expressed her support for Georgia and Ukraine joining the U.S.-led NATO alliance. That statement was predictable and consistent with the current policy of the Bush administration. The policy has dangerously raised tensions with Russia, but Palin is hardly alone in the conservative/Republican consensus in expressing her support for it.

Palin's assessment of foreign policy was competent and not embarrassing. Although she initially exhibited ignorance of the Bush Doctrine on pre-emptive strikes that has been a central pillar of U.S. foreign policy after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, she recovered quickly and then made the case clearly. Tactically, she made the mistake of trying to be friendly and informal with Gibson, who assumed a superior, professorial and critical stance toward her. She would have been far better going on the attack to rattle him.

The double-standard Gibson applied to Palin, compared with the uncritical media platforms repeatedly offered to Obama, who has had zero executive experience running anything, was especially striking. ABC and Gibson focused on Palin as if she were running right now for the presidency rather than the vice presidency. He and other media pundits, by contrast, have never asked the Democratic vice presidential nominee, Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, if he has ever had to make a decision on anything.

Gibson's aggressive approach appeared to take Palin by surprise: He was clearly attempting to put her on point by presenting her as having extreme religious views. This again, however, appears to be a double-standard, as Palin grew up in the Assemblies of God, one of the largest Christian denominations in America with 16 million members, and is now a member of the Wasilla Bible Church. Even now, Obama has yet to receive any comparable grilling on his 20-year attendance in the congregation of the notoriously racist Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

The focus on Palin's faith and family, as well as the controversy over Obama's "lipstick on a pig" comment in Virginia earlier this week, confirmed the swift demise of civility in the 2008 presidential campaign. This is especially ironic, as both Obama and his Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, owed their victories over Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York in the Democratic primary race and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani in the GOP one to their perceived inclusive tolerance, uplift and vision compared with their main opponents.

In the long sweep of U.S. political history, the worst dirt that has been thrown at either of the presidential candidates pales compared with the claims that Thomas Jefferson had fathered a child by a black slave in the 1800 campaign -- the newspaper editor who published the accusations eventually was found dead floating in a canal -- or the false claims by Republicans in the 1944 campaign that President Franklin D. Roosevelt was senile. FDR by that point was indeed a dying man, though he did not know it, but he was mentally as sharp as ever.

The context of the increasingly desperate -- and ugly -- attacks on Palin and her alleged lack of experience is that the Obama bandwagon, which swept all before it from the Iowa caucuses through the end of June, is now stalling badly and, even more worrying for the Democrats, the malaise may be spreading to the congressional races.

The latest USA Today/Gallup poll has the Democrats only 3 points up on the Republicans on the question of which party people would vote for today in their congressional district.

Indeed, the Obama campaign is now saying it is ready to take the gloves off against McCain. They rolled out a new ad Friday mocking McCain as out of touch and old-fashioned, even though it was McCain who picked a young woman as a running mate while Obama opted for an old white guy who's been sitting in the Senate for 36 years. With more than 50 days still to go until the actual election, it appears dangerously early in the campaign for the Obama camp to go negative, especially as so much of his appeal has been based on rising above the old negatives to begin with. Isn't it early in the campaign to resort to that? Is it a sign of panic?

Whatever her inexperience and other shortcomings, Palin did not fall into that trap in her ABC interview. At no point did she appear fearful or threatening. Gibson's aggressive questioning on her religion and her son's coming military service in Iraq, by contrast, runs the risks for the Democrats of strengthening support for Palin among working-class, married women, especially those with husbands or sons serving in the military.

The pattern of previous presidential election interviews and debates has always been that individuals who come across as intellectually superior, arrogant and condescending forfeit support that goes to their perceived victims. This dynamic played a crucial role in propelling George W. Bush into the White House eight years ago. It remains to be seen if Gibson's perceived arrogance and condescension will give Palin another boost. It certainly didn't help the Democrats that ABC's chief political correspondent, Stephanopoulos, who had rushed to Obama's aid only four days before, was wheeled on to discuss her interview with Gibson as soon as it was concluded.

Liberal Democrats predictably will cite the interview as evidence that Palin is not prepared for the vice presidency. Republicans will equally predictably cite it as evidence that she is. How centrist voters will react to it remains to be seen. One thing is clear: This isn't a transformational election on either side. Whoever wins, the ugly old cultural and political divisions in America remain -- and they are deeper than ever.

http://www.upi.com/news/issueoftheday/2008/09/12/ABCs_Gibson_grilled_Palin_hard_but_it_may_backfire/UPI-81241221234472/
0 Replies