The 2008 Republican Convention...

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 03:06 pm
Is due to begin on Monday.

Or is it?

Quote:
McCain: I may postpone convention
By MIKE ALLEN | 8/30/08 3:52 PM EST
Text Size:

John McCain said the Republican National Convention may be postponed as federal officials said Hurricane Gustav was gathering to a devastating Category 5 as it headed toward star-crossed New Orleans.

“It just wouldn't be appropriate to have a festive occasion while a near-tragedy or a terrible challenge is presented in the form of a natural disaster,” McCain told Chris Wallace of “Fox News Sunday,” in an interview taped for tomorrow. “So we're monitoring it from day to day and I'm saying a few prayers, too.”

McCain also said: “I'm afraid, Chris, that we may have to look at that situation and we'll try to monitor it. I've been talking to Govs. Jindal, Barbour, Riley. Chris, I've been talking to all of them.”

Officials at the convention, which is to open Monday in St. Paul, Minn., tell Politico they are figuring out how to handle the formal business of nominating McCain even if some delegations are not able to attend.

The officials also are preparing program contingencies in case such speakers as Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal have to cancel.

Maria Cino, the convention’s president and chief executive officer, said in a statement to Politico: "Like all Americans, our prayers are with those who will be affected by Hurricane Gustav. We continue to closely monitor the movement of the storm and are considering necessary contingencies.

“We are in communication with the Gulf state governors to make sure the convention is taking all the appropriate steps as the hurricane progresses. The safety of our affected delegations is our first priority and preparing for Gustav comes before anything else."

On Friday, Cino vowed on C-SPAN, in a quote picked up by the Drudge Report, that the gavel will come down.

President Bush, first lady Laura Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney are scheduled to speak Monday. The government’s botched response to Hurricane Katrina still stings, and Republicans said they doubt the president would come to a political bash if New Orleans was facing an existential threat.

New Orleans officials said they might begin a full evacuation Monday.

So - it looks like Gustav is going to be a big one - it's a cat 4 now. It's going to hurt somewhere. And there's another one named Hannah, right on it's heels.

At the very least, it looks like this provides an out to Bush and Cheney, to not appear. This is a positive for the Republicans, as they are the last two people they wanted to speak. Why else schedule the two of them, on the first day, Labor day, when many will be at parties and not watching TV? So nobody will notice, of course.

On the minus, there's no way Jindal will be able to appear. He would have been a very positive speaker. Maybe they will get him to record something.

I can't help but imagine that moving the convention would be incredibly expensive; think about all the rentals, hotel rooms, media who are already there, and delegations who have made plans long ago to attend this week. I think it will cost the Republican party a lot of money to change, so that's why I'm predicting that they will not.

Not to mention the PR disaster it will be for them. And the metaphors.

Anyways, this is an open thread to discuss the convention.

Cycloptichorn

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 18,310 • Replies: 269

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 03:09 pm
What convention? To introduce Palin to the masses? That's already been done, and all else will be anti-climactic. Rah, rah, Palin; the VP choice of a senile and forgetful presidential candidate.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 03:29 pm
Maybe John and George, together, will do a fly over of the affected areas.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I've been thinking this---it's a great way to sidestep association with Bush and Cheney. Say they are too busy with Gustav---which looks like it unfortunately may be true.

I think the opportunity to ratchet down the party-type atmoshere...and be serious about the hurricane, the nomination etc...may be helpful in the long run.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:36 pm
@Lash,
Maybe - but it probably won't add much excitement, which frankly the Republicans need.

Cycloptichorn
Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Oh, they have excitement..with Palin. You see how every talking head is buzzing out of control about her. It is a jolting pick....he couldn't have done better in terms of the election. Pulled the rug from the Dem convention right out from under Obama... But, a somber convention-- something tangible for the people of New Orleans in the immediate aftermath of the storm... something different....may just be the thing to do.
squinney

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:46 pm
I can't think of anything worse for Republicans. Not just the reminder that they were in charge when they messed up the Katrina response, but that Gustav would be a palatible downer to the festivities drawing an even starker contrast between the two conventions. Bush / Republicans have been depressing the nation on every level for 8 years. Then McCain /Palin get nominated in the middle of another disaster?

Meanwhile, Barack /Dem Convention was full of cheer, hope, forward looking, and positive.

Gustav will be a real punch to the stomach for republicans. I really don't think the country can take the constant depression / disasters tied to the party emotionally if not logically.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:50 pm
@Lash,
Oh, please. Palin was unexpected, that doesn't make her an exciting pick. You ought to admit that the talking heads at least half the time are criticizing her pick, and her initial polling is not good - especially among women.

Cycloptichorn
Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:53 pm
@squinney,
I think the GOP already lost the idiots who blame Bush for Katrina... When there's a disaster....logical people want to see it addressed. If the Dems were spending huge sums of money on a party in the aftermath of a hurricane, it would be wrong. Equally wrong for the GOP.

Most people know the mayor and Gov of New Orleans and Louisiana respectively were largely at fault for the avoidable things that happened. Malaise is a Democrat word...
Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The decibels of the squealing is proportional to the level of cold, dread fear. I am so tickled at how the Dems are running scared.... God, I love the smell of napalm in the morning....(heee) Smells like.......victory.

(giggles)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:59 pm
@Lash,
It's not just the disaster that happened, it was the total lack of caring about doing anything afterwards. It's putting a disgraced horse trainer in charge of FEMA and then saying he's doing a heckuva job when in fact, he wasn't.

Bush stood in NO with a pretty blue backdrop and swore up and down that we would do what it takes to fix the place. Since then, nothing; he barely mentions it, and gives the impression that he just doesn't give a damn. The cleanup and restoration period has been rife with fraud, waste, and a lack of accountability, and he and the Republicans have done nothing about it.

All in all, hurricanes are losing events for Republicans these days. No getting around that. Bush didn't cause Katrina and it's not his fault that all those folks had a hard time afterward; but he didn't exactly cover himself in glory either.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:00 pm
@Lash,
You sound pretty confident, but I don't think you actually are.

Put your money where your mouth is, figuratively speaking: predict a bounce in the polls for McCain, or his victory. I'm more then ready to do both for Obama, as well as predict right now that your convention is going to be a disaster. Have you the guts to do the same?

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Oh? Where and who are doing the polling on Palin? And women are against her? Why?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/08/women-more-skeptical-of-palin-than-men.html

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't even know how I'm voting, much less how other people will. I'm just playing Devil's advocate. This place needs a few... Ya lockstep KoolAid drinkers.

I don't even know if they'll HAVE a convention...how the hurricane will interact....what they'll do....
maporsche

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:24 pm
@Lash,
hear hear.....more devil's advocates are needed.
Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:36 pm
I don't know if anyone has noticed but the Obama campaign is virtually ignoring Palin. She will self-destruct soon enough.
Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:44 pm
@Lash,
Thanks for your views.
If i were you I will go to the poll and make it invalid and thereby I will show my feelings.
If I were you I will seek other party's view and vote and make it valid.
If i were an american i will never go to a convention by spending my day's wage and expect a change from a person who had allowed 5 million bugs for one day.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 07:04 pm
@maporsche,
Damn straight, baby!! Very Happy
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 07:30 pm
Lol

The theme of the Republican convention?

'Not Ready '08.'

QUICKLY being revised to something else, as the pundits would never, ever give up on that one Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies