The 2008 Republican Convention...

ebrown p

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:14 pm
@maporsche,
There are two McCains... you are assuming it is the old McCain that will take the office.

But he keeps moving toward the right. He keeps courting the Fundamentalist Christians. He keeps backing down.

Do you really think that, after backing down to the conservative wing of the party so much, he will be able to have a truly independent administration?

The risk is that he will end up sleeping with the people with whom he made his bed.
maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:14 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

maporsche wrote:

if we elect Obama (which it looks like we will), he will be running the country alone. Democrats will have control over the entire government, and probably 60+ votes in the Senate to quash debate from the other side. There will be no mending of divides. There will be no compromise. There will be change, but it will be a complete 180 degree change, which only serves to further divide our country.

Is this just wishful thinking?

No, it's a nightmare.
eoe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:15 pm
@maporsche,
You should wake up then.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:16 pm
@maporsche,
You're going to vote for teaching creationism in the schools? amazing.
maporsche

@ebrown p,
and Obama kept moving to the left
now Obama is moving towards the center

I'm not interested in this political positioning, and if you're falling for it then I fell sorry for you. It's all meaningless.
0 Replies

maporsche

@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

You're going to vote for teaching creationism in the schools? amazing.

Are the democrats in congress going to make that a law?
FreeDuck

@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

McCain ISN'T Bush, regardless of how many time I'm told he is.

I know hes not. But right now he runs with the same crowd. And thats close enough for me.

Quote:
It won't be alone for McCain, in contrast, if we elect Obama (which it looks like we will), he will be running the country alone.

I meant that no president runs things on their own. Its the people they bring with them that make things happen.

Quote:
Democrats will have control over the entire government, and probably 60+ votes in the Senate to quash debate from the other side. There will be no mending of divides. There will be no compromise. There will be change, but it will be a complete 180 degree change, which only serves to further divide our country.

Maybe. That is certainly a concern. The electorate tends to self correct this, though, unless massive gerrymandering is employed.

Quote:
McCain as president will serve to bring our country together.

By the language at this convention alone I dont believe it.

Quote:
Obama as president will not.

Obama makes a point of not burning bridges. I think he is more likely to bring the country together because he has created his own machine and has much greater appeal to independents. McCain, unfortunately, inherited Bushs machine, ie. Rove.

Quote:
At least that's my fear, and where my current thoughts lie. But I can't even make up my mind.

I understand.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:18 pm
@maporsche,
You know about dancing with the one that brung ya? McCain's gotta dance with the Republican base - that adores Sarah Palin. He is no longer the McCain of 2000.

maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:21 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

You know about dancing with the one that brung ya? McCain's gotta dance with the Republican base - that adores Sarah Palin. He is no longer the McCain of 2000.

right...but to your question, can the teaching of creationism become the American standard w/o passing approval in the Democratic controlled congress?

Are Democrats in congress likely to pass this law? Do laws still have to be passed by congress?

The fact that McCain/Palin will be combatting a Democratic congress is one of my main appeals of a McCain presidency. If the Republicans controlled congress, there'd be no way in hell I'd vote for McCain.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:36 pm
@maporsche,
I think that politicians look at what voters say they want. If they want McCain/Palin - they'll have voted for creationism in the schools - and I'd think members of Congress would look at that - and their own chances for re-election.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Congress did bring creationism into the schools following a McCain/Palin victory, but I don't know that they will.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:38 pm
@FreeDuck,
Is it really necessary for me to provide you with links to all of the posts in this forum that have argued this?

Here's a clue: Look for just about any posting from Bumble Bee Bag.

Let me ask you this: Do you really believe that no one has argued this?
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Is it really necessary for me to provide you with links to all of the posts in this forum that have argued this?

Here's a clue: Look for just about any posting from Bumble Bee Bag.

Let me ask you this: Do you really believe that no one has argued this?

No. But I wonder why you would just drop it into this thread without context.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:52 pm
@FreeDuck,
Well let's see:

The title of this thread is "The 2008 Republican Convention."

How dare I post a comment that is clearly in defense of McCain?

I'm sorry, I should have realized that the thread was started to mock McCain and Republicans.

I'm also sorry that I didn't follow the unwritten rule of posting a comments that is directly in response to another.

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Heaven forbid a person provide context.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 10:04 pm
@FreeDuck,
Context:

The 2008 Republican Convention

Numerous (albeit not all included in this thread) A2K contentions that McCain is not qualified of the office.

I commented on his qualifications.

No context?

Please - you are struggling.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 10:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I am utterly amazed at the smug cynicism that can argue that John McCain is not a worthy candidate for president of this country,

I think you should share what you are drinking with others.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 10:12 pm
@FreeDuck,
Beneath you,
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 10:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I meant it in the kindest way.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 11:06 pm
Overall, not a great speech.