The 2008 Republican Convention...

JTT

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 07:38 pm
Republicans/conservatives do this all the time and they seem not to realize just how two-faced it shows them to be.

Quote:
Rove Flips On Qualifications For Vice Presidency, Says Palin Is Qualified For Same Reason Kaine Was Not

Earlier this month, Karl Rove repeatedly argued that Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine (D) would not be “capable” of being Vice President. He complained that “he’s been a governor for three years” and said Kaine was mayor of only the “the 105th largest city in America,” referring to Kaine’s tenure as mayor of Richmond, VA. “It’s not a big town,” he quipped.

Yesterday, however, Rove argued just the opposite with regard to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R). He explained on Fox News that Palin was a good choice as McCain’s vice presidential nominee because she was “mayor of the second largest city in Alaska”:

ROVE: She’s a populist, she’s an economic and a social conservative, she’s a reformer, she took on the incumbent governor of the state Frank Murkowski " Republican " beat him in the primary, won an upset in the general election. She’s a former mayor. She’s the mayor of, I think, the second largest city in Alaska before she ran for governor.

Kaine was indeed mayor of the ‘the 105th largest city in America.’ While there, he governed nearly 200,000 people and managed a bureaucracy of over 8,000 employees. By contrast, Palin was mayor of Wasilla, AK, a town of just over 8,000 people that currently employs just over 100 individuals and " contrary to Rove’s claim " didn’t even make it into the 10 largest cities in AK while she was mayor.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/08/30/rove-plain-ready/

0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 03:37 am
all i can say is; i'm anxious to watch the republican convention.

i'm so over being bummed out alla the time.

i would be thrilled to hear them say something inspiring that wasn't total bullsh*t.

now that would be change.

but, if the last 20 years are any indication, my hopes are probably futile.

no wonder i quit votin' for 'em.
Lash

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 04:13 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
DTOM---about the time you start listening to the dems on a regular basis, you'll see they ALL say the same ****---and of course, never do it.
talk72000

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 05:28 am
@Cycloptichorn,
W's Bushoscience ignored Global Warming as his Administration censored scientists' reports. Hurricanes appear to occur more frequently as the extra heat trapped by Greenhouse gases. W's good timing for Gustav shows he is still affecting the Republicans.
firefly

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 09:23 am
@talk72000,
Because of the substantial threat to New Orleans, and other places, posed by hurricane Gustav, should the Republicans cancel or postpone the RNC? McCain has said that a festive event should not be held if a natural disaster was occuring elsewhere.

Given the fact that the Katrina aftermath was a glaring example of government incompetence on the part of the Bush administration, how should the Republicans handle this current crisis?

What should they do about the Republican Convention?

I'm really not sure what they should do, so I'm interested in hearing some opinions.
nicole415

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 09:53 am
@firefly,
They are going to tone it down. McCain and his wackjob running mate are heading to NO to save the citizens who remain there.

McCain is planning on giving his acceptance speech via satellite link.

nicole415

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 09:55 am
@Lash,
Cuz they get blocked by either the Congress or Presidential veto.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:14 am
@nicole415,
Nicole, I am really interested in some thoughtful responses to the questions I posed regarding whether the RNC can go ahead with their convention, or how they should modify it in light of developments with hurricane Gustav..

There is obviously a lot at stake for the Republicans with this convention, including the public relations aspects of how they respond to this hurricane.

Neither Bush nor Cheney will go to the RNC because of the weather.

So, what should they do about the RNC? How should they modify it? Should they even hold it? Should they turn it into a fund raiser for hurricane victims?
mysteryman

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:17 am
@firefly,
No matter what they do, there are going to be people here on A2K that will blame them and somehow say that the hurricane is the fault of the repubs.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:21 am
@mysteryman,
No matter what they do, there are going to be people here on A2K that will blame them and somehow say that the hurricane is the fault of the repubs.
And the problem is?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:47 am
@mysteryman,
would that be like the good christian "repubs" Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell liked to blame natural disasters like katrina on homosexuals.... calling it God's judgement?
mysteryman

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:54 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
And the two of them got hammered by the mainstream repubs for those stupid comments, or did you forget that part?

But you and others have defended Ray Nagin and the dem leadership in La for what happened after Katrina, blaming Bush for things that he has no control over.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:59 am
Bush and Cheney officially skipping the Republican convention due to Gustav.

Cycloptichorn
Lash

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 11:17 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Great idea!!!!!
dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 11:32 am
@Lash,
I was so looking forward to a group hug between McCain/Bush and Cheney. Oh well, I hope we get to see hugs with Romney.
nicole415

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:39 pm
Did anyone else see McCain's video taped photo opp from Mississippi with his pick at his side. No questions, it wasn't even live, and the Governor didn't even open her mouth. When is she going to answer her first unscripted question?

Is anyone (besides the Lash and Okie types) going to drink this Kool-aid?
0 Replies

nicole415

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:40 pm
@mysteryman,
Who exactly defended Ray Nagin?
0 Replies

nicole415

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:44 pm
@firefly,
I said they said they are going to tone it down. Just carry on the business that needs to be done. The only thing that I really disagree with is McCain going to the affected areas for photo opps with "the VP pick from hell."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 01:06 pm
@dyslexia,
Maybe we can knock him off too!!!

Oh jeez...lmao.
Lash

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 01:57 pm
@Lash,
I'm excited! It looks like McC is going to use the bully pulpit to raise funds and awareness for the people who will be needing help on the Gulf Coast. Like a telethon... GREAT IDEA!!
0 Replies