GOP should allow guns at convention

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 01:20 pm
They wanna prove guns are harmless except by criminals and they are good for people to protect themselves? Prove it! Allow them in the convention, full bore! No background checks, no metal detectors! Prove it! How do you think that will turn out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 7,158 • Replies: 83

View best answer, chosen by Lilkanyon
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 01:32 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Welcome back.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 01:37 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Lilkanyon wrote:
How do you think that will turn out?

Most likely nothing would happen. This is a stupid thing for some gun control advocates to be pushing for. If they had their way do they think that a war would break out or something?
Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 01:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Considering the Trump campaign? Likely not well. Other GOP? I would not worry, but you get what you ask for when it comes to him. I do not hope for violence...I am not an anti-gun person...just a 'gun in appropriopriate places' person, lol....like the woods hunting deer.
0 Replies

Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 01:43 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Welcome back.

Thanks, lol 😜
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 02:50 pm
I'm sitting here trying to figure how, if everyone is seeing the same Donald Trump as I am - arrogant, braggart, tough-talking, encouraging followers to be rough with protesters...

And the same Trump rallies - angry, hollering, confrontational...

How can they be looking at these same elements and then think "Well, if they were allowed to freely carry loaded weapons in and about the convention, probably nothing would happen."

Just doesn't seem to mesh...
Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 02:54 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I'm sitting here trying to figure how, if everyone is seeing the same Donald Trump as I am - arrogant, braggart, tough-talking, encouraging followers to be rough with protesters...

And the same Trump rallies - angry, hollering, confrontational...

How can they be looking at these same elements and then think "Well, if they were allowed to freely carry loaded weapons in and about the convention, probably nothing would happen."

Just doesn't seem to mesh...

Sorry snood, I shoulda been clear I agree with you

Roflmao! Saturdaynightlive bloodbath! Lol! (Should I hashtag that? Lol?)
Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 03:04 pm
@Lilkanyon,
NRAMania! FTW! Cruz2016! Sara Palin next prez! Lets go for broke! Ahahahahhaa!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 05:55 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Lilkanyon wrote:

They wanna prove guns are harmless except by criminals and they are good for people to protect themselves? Prove it! Allow them in the convention, full bore! No background checks, no metal detectors! Prove it! How do you think that will turn out?

I don't like Donald Trump, and I don't think your view itself is consistent, either.

You have to prove in the first place that the criminal rate is zero in the United States. Then you can demand GOP to prove it by demonstrating no background checks and metal detectors at their convention .

Well, the rate will never be zero because to err is human and negligence is still counted as a crime according to the law.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2016 10:38 am
I wouldn't allow guns at a political convention because emotions run high there, especially with protesters screaming and snatching signs out of peoples' hands. I, personally, would ban them at a political convention. I am, however, glad that people can own guns to protect themselves and their families.
Lilkanyon

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 10:02 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I wouldn't allow guns at a political convention because emotions run high there, especially with protesters screaming and snatching signs out of peoples' hands. I, personally, would ban them at a political convention. I am, however, glad that people can own guns to protect themselves and their families.

Precisely the point of making sure guns belong in the hands of only those emotionally capable of respecting them. Do not misunderstand me, I believe in hunting and hunters. I respect a TRUE need to own guns, not some imaginary boogie man that may or may not break into your house and steal your PS4. Again, I think the fear far outweighs the reality. For every house broken into, that person does not even have a weapon and will run if confronted. Why kill him? Over a TV? A stereo? Your grandmas cheap plate silver? For a mans life?
Again, use your guns to hunt, and even a pistol on your hip to protect yourself against a rare bear, ok...go ahead and sell me on that. Even those people that need a semi auto to defend farms against wildboar and illegals from the borders. Ok, I will buy that too. But not some domestic, bar fighting alcoholic living in a paper walled apt that wants an arsenal cuz the 2nd adm protects him. Thats BS and everyone knows it. But all fear that could be them. I slapped my wife around and got a record. Now I cant have guns. I got in a bar fight, now I cant own a gun. Ever thought about not doing those things like most normal people? Then you keep your guns.
oralloy

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 11:55 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Lilkanyon wrote:
I respect a TRUE need to own guns, not some imaginary boogie man that may or may not break into your house and steal your PS4.

"Need" is a term used by Fascists. Americans have the right to carry guns if we CHOOSE to do so.

Lilkanyon wrote:
Again, use your guns to hunt, and even a pistol on your hip to protect yourself against a rare bear, ok...go ahead and sell me on that. Even those people that need a semi auto to defend farms against wildboar and illegals from the borders. Ok, I will buy that too.

Americans do not have to give anyone a reason for carrying guns. If we choose to carry them, then it is our right to do so and that is the end of it.
snood

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 05:28 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Lilkanyon wrote:
I respect a TRUE need to own guns, not some imaginary boogie man that may or may not break into your house and steal your PS4.

"Need" is a term used by Fascists. Americans have the right to carry guns if we CHOOSE to do so.

Lilkanyon wrote:
Again, use your guns to hunt, and even a pistol on your hip to protect yourself against a rare bear, ok...go ahead and sell me on that. Even those people that need a semi auto to defend farms against wildboar and illegals from the borders. Ok, I will buy that too.

Americans do not have to give anyone a reason for carrying guns. If we choose to carry them, then it is our right to do so and that is the end of it.

It'd be nice if you gun fucks would be as gung ho about a woman's right to do what she wishes with her own body or with every American citizen's right to vote.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 10:53 am
@snood,
Because the bottom line is that it is fundamentally not statistically probable and that forbidding guns is about small possibilities that are worth preventing and not probabilities that are likely to occur.

I am in favor of more gun regulation but it's not like if guns were allowed at a convention the position would automatically be proven right. There's a small chance that something would happen (which is reason enough to prevent guns in a large public gathering) but a much larger chance that nothing does, giving an arrow to the quiver of those against greater gun control.

I definitely don't think guns at a convention is a good idea due to the very small chance of a very bad thing happening but the likelihood of the danger being overstated really fuels a lot of the opposition to it and if gun control advocates make a big deal out of it and then something like this happens without any problems it doesn't help heir position any.

And because the venues have the rules not the party anyway, it just seems like a silly way to argue for gun control (by arguing against it for a single event). Their political counterparts aren't in charge of that decision.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 10:56 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Nope, rights don't inherently exist. They are negotiated by societies. This right is negotiable and that is precisely what a debate about gun control is. A discussion in your society about whether or not you will continue to have that right. It doesn't magically exist on its own, it is granted to you by a society that is increasingly coming to the conclusion that this is not a right that they want to keep around and it has therefore evolved over time against your wishes. You don't get to "end of story" the discussion arbitrarily, society will keep debating this.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 11:09 am
found this earlier this year

I was surprised to see the results til I remembered that A2k isn't actually a snapshot of America

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/gallup-only-2-americans-name-gunsgun-control-among-nations-most-important

Quote:
a newly released Gallup Poll shows that "guns/gun control" ranked near the bottom of Americans' most pressing concerns in 2015.

In fact, guns/gun control ranked 19th out of 23 top problems facing the country last year.

According to Gallup, only one percent of respondents mentioned guns/gun control as a concern for most of the months in 2015, although mentions spiked to 7 percent in October and December following mass shootings in those months that dominated the news. (The overall average for the year was 2 percent.)

http://www.gallup.com/home.aspx

(so many gun polls it was hard to pick one to link to)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 02:20 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
It'd be nice if you gun fucks would be as gung ho about a woman's right to do what she wishes with her own body

I can't stand the abortion debate. No one on either side is capable of having a coherent position, or capable of understanding the opposing side. It's all a bunch of brain-dead bumper-sticker slogans being mindlessly shouted at each other.

snood wrote:
or with every American citizen's right to vote.

The only party that truly opposes the right to vote are the Democrats.

All the Republicans are doing is preventing the Democrats from cheating.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 02:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Nope, rights don't inherently exist.

Some rights do. Human rights are held universally, and if any society denies anyone these rights, that society is criminal and must be destroyed (or at least forcibly reformed).

Robert Gentel wrote:
They are negotiated by societies. This right is negotiable and that is precisely what a debate about gun control is. A discussion in your society about whether or not you will continue to have that right. It doesn't magically exist on its own, it is granted to you by a society that is increasingly coming to the conclusion that this is not a right that they want to keep around and it has therefore evolved over time against your wishes. You don't get to "end of story" the discussion arbitrarily, society will keep debating this.

The right of American citizens to carry guns in public was decided centuries ago. That right is set in stone and is never going to change.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 11:01 am
@Lilkanyon,
Lilkanyon wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Precisely the point of making sure guns belong in the hands of only those emotionally capable of respecting them. Do not misunderstand me, I believe in hunting and hunters. I respect a TRUE need to own guns, not some imaginary boogie man that may or may not break into your house and steal your PS4. Again, I think the fear far outweighs the reality. For every house broken into, that person does not even have a weapon and will run if confronted. Why kill him? Over a TV? A stereo? Your grandmas cheap plate silver? For a mans life?...

If someone breaks into your house, a possibility which is certainly not imaginary, it is not a stretch of the imagination to believe that you may be in danger. You have the right to defend yourself and your loved ones, which is not the same as defending a TV. But, while we're on the subject of defending TVs, you actually do have the right to defend your property, although the use of lethal force to defend property should be avoided at all costs.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 11:06 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

oralloy wrote:

Nope, rights don't inherently exist. They are negotiated by societies....

You have the right to this opinion, but it is contrary to America's basic creed. For instance, the Declaration of Independence says:

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

It is pretty clear from this document that rights are regarded as inherent and not a gift bestowed, or not bestowed, at the pleasure of a government. The Declaration says that:

Quote:
whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it...

which further suggests the idea that rights are inherent and that governments exist to protect and implement them, but are not the source of the rights.