The 2008 Republican Convention...

snood

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 03:42 am
Yes, it would make good strategy. Yes, Hillary would be the perfect one to do it.

Whether she will do it involves making an assumption about the level of her committment to campaign for Obama, which is why I questioned if someone knew something I didn't. Far as I know, this would involve her making an effort that involved the advancement of someone other than herself, and that's not something I've seen her do a lot.
sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:19 am
@snood,
Well, it's a two-fer -- helps Obama but a) keeps her on the national stage and b) further rehabilitates her image with Dems/ prepares the ground for a later run if need be. (Hmm, that got up to three-fer or four-fer.)

That's what she did quite well at the Dem convention.

I think it'll be understated though, at least for now. Palin seems to be invoking Hillary in widely-seen appearances but then not (anymore, due to boos) in smaller, mostly Republican appearances. I expect she'll invoke Hillary in her convention speech, and I think that's one way to deploy her -- some sort of appearance (CNN would be good) where she says "hello, I AM Hillary Clinton, and I don't approve this message."

But I think the Dems are hanging back and letting Palin self-destruct for the most part, which is the correct approach IMO.
snood

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:26 am
@sozobe,
We are all in agreement, as I see it - but you did reemphasize my point that Hillary doesn't do much that isn't designed to aggrandize Hillary.
sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:28 am
@snood,
Well, right. You seemed skeptical about whether she'd do it -- I pointed out how self-aggrandizement and helping Obama are not mutually exclusive.
snood

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:48 am
@sozobe,
They aren't.

There are good reasons why she should do it, as you all point out. Only reason I can think of she wouldn't is because her wounded ego wouldn't allow it.
eoe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 06:22 am
@snood,
Hillary and Bill showed me last week that in the end, they are willing to do what's best for the party because in turn, that is what's best for them. It's a win-win.
Woiyo9

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:10 am
@eoe,
What is best for THEM is for Obama to lose.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:43 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

Defend this statement.

T
K
O
eoe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:45 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

Keep Hope Alive!
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:45 am
@Diest TKO,
Easy. She wants to be President.

If he wins, she can't run for at least 8 years.

She will be too old and irrelevant by then.

Agree?
squinney

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:51 am
@Woiyo9,
If SHE will be too old by then, what's that say about McCain now?
parados

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:57 am
@squinney,
And maybe he should answer your question in light of the fact that women's life expectancy is longer than men.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:58 am
@squinney,
No kiddin'!

Evidently my favorite ferret-hater WILL be addressing the convention after all, later in the week, BUT it's not clear if he'll be the keynote or not.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 09:44 am
So, the Republican convention/hurricane nexus turned out perfectly - for me, but not for John McCain. The hurricane did the worst possible thing for him: it made landfall but did not cause catastrophic damage. This wrecked the first day of the convention and threw the schedule off, but denied McCain the chance to look presidential by strutting about. Thank you, Jeebus!

And it's not over yet - Hannah is due to land as a Cat 2 hurricane on the east coast late Thurs, early Fri. This will further Constrain McCain's ability to attack Obama; after all, he already has said that it's crass to do so during a national emergency, and so has pretty much every other Republican. Are they going to decide to abandon that position?

Up tonight, Lieberman. Ferret boy got bumped. We'll see if there's anything interesting there; I doubt Joe is going to go after Obama very hard, he's no Zell Miller.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 09:46 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Quote:
Because that's who's going to take your girl out.

Interesting. So you are predicting that Hillary is going to confront the GOP veep candidate directly?

Absolutely, Snood. Totally. She's pissed (reportedly) that this young upstart jacked her 'glass ceiling' line. She didn't do a goddamn thing to earn the VP spot, didn't campaign or put her heart into it. Hillary isn't about to let her get away with it scot free.

Nope. She's going to knee-cap her with a frank discussion of women's issues. It will be a thing of beauty to see.

Cycloptichorn
Woiyo9

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Ahhh....Boo-Whoooo Hillary.

Since when does Hillary own the "womans movement"?

At least Palin got elected on her own merits. Hillary needed help!
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:53 am
@Cycloptichorn,
So you are GLAD that there was a hurricane and hundreds of people are displaced so it can help further your agenda?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:07 am
@Woiyo9,
It was an unavoidable situation, Pissy. Nothing anyone could do about it. And I'm glad that McCain was denied the opportunity to spin it to his advantage, yes. Just as you would have been glad if he had turned it into a big positive.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:10 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo,
I'm sure you know that the dems are a party of negativism and gloom. Cyclo is just a partisan voice piece. It is clearly to their advantage to politic this way because this advances their message of "the sky is falling...let us help you". Frankly a very potent message this day...heck, I think you can always find a few folks struggling that would welcome a government handout, hence their continued success.

Unfortunately, their method of success is all too often imitated by the Republicans...which is why we have such unbridled spending in the Government today. It's also why we are seeing this over-reaction to hurricane warnings.

I wonder the value of kowtowing so much to the hurricane victims who should be encouraged to move their homes out of the flood plain, not to rely on the Government to protect them by stengthening and heightening the levees. How often over the next few decades will we be evacuating and rebuilding New Orleans at the cost of billions of dollars? Unfortunately the unfair thrashing that Republicans have taken since Katrina by Democrats and the media alike, require a period of bending over backwards to convince voters that "we care". In truth, the most "careful" thing we could do is move New Orleans residents to higher ground, destroy the levees, let the flood plain reassert itself and naturally protect those same residents.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:13 pm
@slkshock7,
Hhaha, that would have the added effect of closing the Port of New Orleans, the largest shipping port in America. Do you have any clue how that would affect our economy? Apparently not. Damn those complicated situations!

Cycloptichorn