The 2008 Republican Convention...

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:23 pm
That right there is what makes McCain the best bet Republicans have. He has the decency and respect to recognize the achievements of his opponents. Thats what the grownups do.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:25 pm
My god, the green background, what were they thinking?!?!

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:26 pm
McCain said he'll "stand by your side." How comforting!
maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

My god, the green background, what were they thinking?!?!

Cycloptichorn

Stephen Colbert......McCain is going for the SC bump!
maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm comforted.

I'd rather have Sarah Palin by my side......knowwhatimean?!?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:28 pm
@maporsche,
And that evil clown grin, wow. He needs to rein that in.

His timing isn't that great.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:29 pm
I like him fine. But there is just not much credibility in co-opting the Democrats change theme. Everybody knows who got there first.
maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:30 pm
@FreeDuck,
But it might not matter much in November.

WE know who "got there first", but John Q Public doesn't know.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:37 pm
@maporsche,
I dont think we are that blind. He has been campaigning for quite some time on the change platform. Does anyone really believe that change can come through the party in power? I like McCain. If only he didnt have that persistent (R) after his name.

kickycan

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:44 pm
He's not very exciting, is he.
maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:46 pm
@FreeDuck,
Yeah, I think change can come from the party in power.

The current administration is not very effective at getting anything done.

A new administration, even in the same party, could be more effective; therefore would bring about change.

McCain is the one in this race that can cross party lines, and has in the past.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:46 pm
@kickycan,
That's the reason why McCain has to switch places with Palin in who becomes the presidential candidate.
kickycan

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah, and I'm sure that will be a lot of how they handle the next couple months too. If they could, they'd put her in every ad they run for him from now on, and she would be by his side at all times.

I remember when a little turd named Georgie W. Bush was given the appearance of credibility and competence when he picked Dick Cheney as his running mate. This time, it's the tough hockey mom giving the appearance of vitality and strength to McCain.

Will we be fooled again?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:53 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Yeah, I think change can come from the party in power.

I just dont see it happening. If McCain becomes president, he wont be running the country by himself. He has to set up his cabinet and hire people who actually make things happen. Who do you think those people will be? People other than us own him. And as much as I like him, I dont see that changing, and I cant accept it.
maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:02 pm
@FreeDuck,
McCain ISN'T Bush, regardless of how many time I'm told he is. He can/will be more effective at bringing change and fixing wrongs in our country than Bush has.

You're right though, it won't be by himself. He'll use his decades of independent thought to reach across the isle like he's done for years, likely more than any other Senator in my lifetime, and fix the problems we are facing. I trust McCain to do this more than I trust Obama, in spades. He'll be working with both a Democratic House and Senate, taking their priorities (often too far left) and bringing them more towards the center (where 70% of the country is).

It won't be alone for McCain, in contrast, if we elect Obama (which it looks like we will), he will be running the country alone. Democrats will have control over the entire government, and probably 60+ votes in the Senate to quash debate from the other side. There will be no mending of divides. There will be no compromise. There will be change, but it will be a complete 180 degree change, which only serves to further divide our country.

McCain as president will serve to bring our country together.
Obama as president will not.

At least that's my fear, and where my current thoughts lie. But I can't even make up my mind.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:02 pm
I am utterly amazed at the smug cynicism that can argue that John McCain is not a worthy candidate for president of this country,
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:06 pm
@maporsche,
The Democrats have adopted Joseph Goebels "Big Lie" strategy.

Repeat a lie enough times and it will eventually be accepted as the truth.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Me too. I think John McBush would do a marvelous job.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
That is stunning. Who argued it?
eoe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:12 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

if we elect Obama (which it looks like we will), he will be running the country alone. Democrats will have control over the entire government, and probably 60+ votes in the Senate to quash debate from the other side. There will be no mending of divides. There will be no compromise. There will be change, but it will be a complete 180 degree change, which only serves to further divide our country.

Is this just wishful thinking?