Obama is an elitist

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:04 am
So how many homes do you own Sen Mccain?

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said in an interview Wednesday that he was uncertain how many houses he and his wife, Cindy, own.

"I think " I'll have my staff get to you," McCain told Politico in Las Cruces, N.M. "It's condominiums where " I'll have them get to you."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 7,970 • Replies: 132

parados

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:09 am
@dyslexia,
Only an elitist spends time counting how many homes he owns.
Gargamel

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:49 am
@parados,
Only an elitist has the option of counting.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:01 am
How silly and naive if someone thinks about politicians in any other way. All politicians are elitists. It's just that some are better at hiding this trait than others. The list of those who run for President who are NOT millionaires (harry S. Truman was perhaps the last), having gone to the top-tier colleges and own multiple properties - or who have trust funds for their children and grandchildren for their lives are - frankly, none. Only the press, in its sensationalism, and those who are trying to drag their political opponents down falsely, jump on the 'elitist' bandwagon for their own gain.
Gargamel

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:05 am
@Ragman,
True dat.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:07 am
@Ragman,
You are so right. Can you imagine a presidential candidate who went to a community college, lives in a tract home, and drives a five year old car? One of the qualities that make a presidential candidate is his/her ability (by talent or family connections) to rise above the hoi polloi.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:10 am
@Phoenix32890,
Does marrying into a beer fortune count as 'rising above?'

That's an elitist attitude if I ever heard one. McCain didn't earn his way above. He didn't display any ability to do anything at all - except, I suppose, to seduce a young and rich woman.

Cycloptichorn
Ragman

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:11 am
and, speaking as the hoi-est of poloi, I agree.

Hey, I weould've taken McCain's route if I had the opportunity. She's not bad looking. However, IMHO Budweiser beer sucks. Hell, it's not even an American company anymore. Now, that's one amazing thing that makes you say h'mmmmm!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:58 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Did you apply that standard to John Kerry?
Lash

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:59 am
....doesn't....know.....how many....HOUSES.....he has.

Outrageous.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:02 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
You are so right. Can you imagine a presidential candidate who went to a community college, lives in a tract home, and drives a five year old car? One of the qualities that make a presidential candidate is his/her ability (by talent or family connections) to rise above the hoi polloi.

I think, Carter came close . Despite his wealth, he lived a very frugal and humble life. Still does!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:16 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Did you apply that standard to John Kerry?

Yes, I did! Kerry didn't earn his money any more then McCain did.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:40 am
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kerry

The Forbes 400 survey estimated in 2004 that Teresa Heinz Kerry had a net worth of $750 million. However, estimates have frequently varied, ranging from around $165 million to as high as $3.2 billion, according to a study in the Los Angeles Times. Regardless of which figure is correct, Kerry is the wealthiest U.S. Senator.

Kerry is wealthy in his own name, and is the beneficiary of at least four trusts inherited from Forbes family members, including his mother, who died in 2002.

Forbes magazine (a major business magazine named for an unrelated Forbes family) estimated that if elected, Kerry would have been the third-richest U.S. President in history when adjusted for inflation.[81] This assessment was based on the couple's combined assets, but Kerry and Heinz signed a prenuptial agreement that keeps their assets separate.[82] Kerry's financial disclosure form for 2002 put his personal assets in the range of $409,000 to $1.8 million, with additional assets held jointly by Kerry and his wife in the range of $300,000 to $600,000.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:18 pm
@Lash,
Got to agree.

I don't hold possession of wealth against anyone, in and of itself. But something about not even knowing HOW MANY houses he has is just... whoa.
old europe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:27 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
"I think " I'll have my staff get to you," McCain told Politico in Las Cruces, N.M. "It's condominiums where " I'll have them get to you."

I'm speechless.

He doesn't know how many houses they have?

<shakes head>
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:35 pm
@old europe,
This might be a biggie.

I really agreed with Frank Rich's op-ed last Sunday about how little people actually know about McCain. I'd mentioned here before (I think Rich did, too) that a pretty significant percentage of his female supporters changed their minds when they found out he's been consistently pro-life. (They were under the mistaken impression that he was pro-choice.)

This is significantly outside the narrative, outside the persona. Everyone knows Cindy is rich, yes, but 7 houses. And he's lost track??

I think this could have a two-pronged effect:

1.) People go "whoa!" And it's news.

2.) News organizations take note of the "whoa!"-ness, and start pursuing this angle ("do you really know McCain?")
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:37 pm
@sozobe,
I think that's exactly what will happen, Soz.

And the house thing plays well on two fronts: first, he's an out-of-touch elitist who doesn't know a damn thing about the average person's life in the last 20 years. Can't say that about Obama, his wealth is relatively recent.

Second, it's the age issue again - not only does he own 7 (it's actually 10) houses, he can't remember how many he owns?!?!?

The ads and late night jokes write themselves on this one. What kind of person can't remember how many houses they own? Someone who isn't fit to lead our country, that's what kind of person. If he can't keep basic **** about his own life in line, or at least give a better answer, then he can't be trusted to keep complicated issues in his head - and we all know what it's like to live under a president who doesn't have the capability to understand complex issues, don't we?

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Have you asked this same question about Obama and Kerry? Do they know how many pairs of socks they own?
old europe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:09 pm
@sozobe,
For me, the first two things that came to my mind was:

1) In spite of the narrative of McCain being absolutely super-awesome in answering direct questions, this is not the first time that he couldn't answer a question, and that him being unable to do so made some news.

There was the one where he didn't know what his position on contraceptives was, for example. It started out with a reporter asking "Should U.S. taxpayer money go to places like Africa to fund contraception to prevent AIDS?" and went downhill from there. (Had a link to the actual video, but lost it. Found the story again here.)

Quote:
Q: “So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”

Q: “I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?”

Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception " I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it.”

Q: “But you would agree that condoms do stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Would you say: ‘No, we’re not going to distribute them,’ knowing that?”

Mr. McCain: (Twelve-second pause) “Get me Coburn’s thing, ask Weaver to get me Coburn’s paper that he just gave me in the last couple of days. I’ve never gotten into these issues before.”

I guess I would appreciate the honesty in saying, for example, "Look, I don't remember how I voted on this piece of legislation five years ago... I'd have to go back and look it up".

But questions about what platform you're actually running on? It boggles the mind.

---

2) It kind of ties in with all those mini-stories that never really made it into the headlines. Like the one about him visiting that supermarket, being a totally regular guy and chatting with folks in the grocery section - wearing $520 black leather Ferragamo shoes.

---

Still don't know what to say about this one, though.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:13 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Have you asked this same question about Obama and Kerry? Do they know how many pairs of socks they own?

I don't see how material this is to the topic at hand. Comparing the number of houses one owns, to a pair of socks - lame. I'm not sure you are getting the point.

Cycloptichorn