Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:18 pm
@old europe,
Oh well in that case, sorry JTT!

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:24 pm
@old europe,
Good observations, old europe. I agree.

Especially how this one can create a sort of magnet for all those other stories floating around -- finally become a narrative instead of individual outliers that don't get reported on.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:24 pm
And you know what? I think Obama is going to get a LOT of play out of this issue, b/c the hits just keep on coming.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/08/mccains_bought_second_beach_ho.php

Quote:
McCains Bought Second Beach Condo At Around Time McCain Said Struggling Homeowners Needed To Skip Vacations

By Greg Sargent - August 21, 2008, 2:37PM

Here's a fun little find that is likely to give Dems more ammo to blast away at John McCain's number-of-houses gaffe.

It turns out that a few months ago, a McCain family corporation closed on a second multi-million-dollar beach condo in exclusive Coronado, California, at around the same time that John McCain offered his somewhat tone-deaf observation that struggling homeowners were "working at second jobs" and "skipping a vacation" in order to make mortgage payments on time.

Cindy McCain discussed the timing of the second condo purchase in a June interview with Vogue magazine (not online) that's newly relevant in light of the explosive controversy over John McCain's inability to recall how many homes the McCains own.

And in another fun fact that could pour fuel on this controversy, Cindy told her interviewer that the reason they needed a second beach condo in the Coronado building was that the first was too crowded because her kids were staying there and as a result she "couldn't get in the place."

Cindy continued: "So I bought another one."

Here's the relevant passage, from the start of the Vogue piece:

Quote:
It is a late Sunday afternoon in April, and I am sitting in a condominium in Coronado, California, taking in the view of the gorgeous San Diego Bay with Cindy McCain. She closed on the place just two weeks earlier, and the only things unpacked so far are the family photos that dot almost every surface. It's her family's second condo in the building. "I like the ocean, and the kids love it here, and I love that," she tells me, curled up on a nondescript couch that looks like it might have come with the apartment. "When I bought the first one, my husband, who is not a beach person, said, 'Oh, this is such a waste of money; the kids will never go.' Then it got to the point where they used it so much I couldn't get in the place. So I bought another one."

According to a July story in The Politico, a McCain family corporation spent a combined $4.7 million on the two condos in Coronado.

If the interview was conducted sometime in April, and she'd closed on the condo two weeks earlier, that means that the latest the closing could have happened is mid-April, and the earliest is mid-March.

On March 25, John McCain said:

Quote:
And 51 million homeowners are doing what's necessary: working at second jobs, skipping a vacation, and managing their budgets to make their payments on time.

So at around the time McCain said this, the McCain family corporation was either actively in the market for, or had closed on, a second multi-million-dollar beach condo in the same building which was necessary because the first one was too crowded with their children in it.

Yeah, Regular Americans were doing what was necessary to survive - but not John McCain, who isn't a regular American, but a super-rich American who doesn't really understand your problems, for he hasn't ever faced them in his life.

I don't think McCain has ever worried about money a single day in the last 25 years. Not once. Does that sound like someone who understands what your life is like?

I love it Laughing

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:25 pm
@sozobe,
Haha, see above! Your prediction is already coming true!

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
And don't forget the thing where Cindy said she had a private plane because, ya know, she needs to get around Arizona.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Smile TPM has always been on top of this though -- and calling for other media to be more assertive. Hope that things do expand a bit (to other media outlets...)
georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:03 pm
@CalamityJane,
calamity jane wrote:
I think, Carter came close . Despite his wealth, he lived a very frugal and humble life. Still does!

Perhaps true, however he is still a self-righteous, mean-spirited and vengeful little prig. His humility is all on the surface. I would prefer someone less frugal and less careful about the number of condos he owns if that is the price of greater affability and humanity.
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:13 pm
@sozobe,
OK, the whole house thing was the lead story on "The Situation Room" -- looking good. There was some stupid and misleading stuff about Rezko (no, Obama didn't get Rezko's "help" when he bought his own house), but overall it was good. Tied in to Phil Gramm's comments, and showed a tough slash incredulous Obama talking about the houses and the "$5 million is rich" comment in a small, intimate outdoor setting in Virginia. (Not a big rally.)

Plus it showed Obama's quick response ad. (This one:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpmFd25tRqo

One of the commentators (not Jessica Yellin, the other one, some guy I didn't recognize) brought up Gramm by way of saying something about how all of this could get strung together. That's how these things tend to start -- a media person says, well, people COULD do this...

Now it's on to VP stuff.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:13 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
....doesn't....know.....how many....HOUSES.....he has.

Outrageous.

HORSES .... Clearly he thought they were asking how many horses he had. And I think we can all agree it is perfectly reasonable to not remember exactly how many horses are in one's stable at any given moment.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:34 pm
@sozobe,
OK the guy and his wife are rich. They have money to spend . You all think because there are poor in the world that he or other rich shouldent spend thier money on what they want too. This is really quite hypocatical. Asking him how many houses he ownes is like asking me how many one dollar bills I have in my wallet. I would have to check. It looks too me like the bunch of you have been checking the polls and are getting nervous about Obama being the shoe in you all thought he would be.
I would rather have Obama, my last democratic choice, than Mccain but Obama has been shooting himself in the foot with his spinning after he locked up the nomination. I guess I equate spinning with changeing ones mind. He was nominated with one platform which he has moved to the center. As I always claimed he is just another crooked chicago politician who wants to be elected no matter who he has to throw under the bus. 4 or 8 more years of the same old DC crap.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:37 pm
@sozobe,

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

“Does a guy who made more than $4 million last year, just got back from vacation on a private beach in Hawaii and bought his own million-dollar mansion with the help of a convicted felon really want to get into a debate about houses?

Does a guy who worries about the price of arugula and thinks regular people “cling” to guns and religion in the face of economic hardship really want to have a debate about who’s in touch with regular Americans?”

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:37 pm
@sozobe,
rabel, my first post here:

sozobe wrote:

Got to agree.

I don't hold possession of wealth against anyone, in and of itself. But something about not even knowing HOW MANY houses he has is just... whoa.

(emphasis added)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:38 pm
@H2O MAN,
I don't know who that guy is (Obama didn't buy his house with the help of Rezko, for example), but I think Obama would LOVE to have that debate!

(Again, I'm so looking forward to the actual presidential debates...)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:43 pm
@H2O MAN,
According to McCain, 4 million dollars means you aren't rich.

And it's also a dumb attack written by an idiot (and repeated by idiots) - for there are no private beaches in Hawaii, they are all public.

But, hey - go ahead and see if you can keep repeating it until it becomes true. Good luck with that.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Not to worry, Cy. Next time, instead of just spraying it lightly, I'll dip it in the sarcasm vat before I post.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Does marrying into a beer fortune count as 'rising above?'

Absolutely. I am not making a value judgment, I am simply stating the obvious. The average "man on the street" has about as much chance of becoming president, as I am flying to the moon!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:51 pm
@Phoenix32890,
What honor or hard work or achievement does marrying into a fortune display? Why would I want to elect a guy who married into a fortune, above a guy who is of more modest means?

What you describe isn't a positive, it's an incidental. It's something that happened to McCain, not something he achieved. What exactly was the work he put into earning his money? Nothing, unless you consider cheating on your wife with young heiresses to be 'hard work.' My guess is he didn't think it was so tough at the time.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:52 pm
@sozobe,
(Again, I'm so looking forward to the actual presidential debates...)

McCain ought to concede before those events. They're going to have to really wire him up and control him with a joystick or he'll make an absolute fool, which he is now, look like a rocket scientist.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The idiot is you Left eye.

There are private beaches in Hawaii, as a matter of fact there is a private island with nothing but private beaches in the group of Hawaiian Islands.

Keep telling yourself that you are smarter then everyone else you meet and maybe it will come true. Good luck with that.