Obama is an elitist

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:54 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
I think Obama would LOVE to have that debate!

Don't buy into the hype.
Obama is deathly afraid of a real debate with McCain.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:55 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Gob1 wrote:

Perhaps true, however he is still a self-righteous, mean-spirited and vengeful little prig. His humility is all on the surface. I would prefer someone less frugal and less careful about the number of condos he owns if that is the price of greater affability and humanity.

This perhaps is the stupidest thing you've ever penned, George. What do you know about humanity?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:58 pm
There was no answer to that question which wouldn't have hung McCain out as an elitist. It was a question that McCain should have just laughed off and told the interviewer it was none of his business.

McCain owns several homes, but I do believe most of them are rented to various family member on his wife's side. He owns them, sure, but he doesn't live in them. What's the point? That he is rich? Good for him, but does that make him elitist? Nah. It makes him a man that is good to his family and takes care of his family.

Meanwhile, Obama's brother lives in a small village on $1 a day. I guess we know how well Obama takes care of his family huh? He'd rather tithe to that bigot of a pastor of his for 20 years instead of taking care of kin. How "white" of him.
JTT

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:03 pm
@McGentrix,
I wish that McCain would fire all the idiot advisers he has and hire McG.

McCain would be toast in a couple of days.

Ya think that Cindy McCain's half sister lives in one of them, McG.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:04 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
There was no answer to that question which wouldn't have hung McCain out as an elitist. It was a question that McCain should have just laughed off and told the interviewer it was none of his business.

I agree that would have been a better response. The fact that he DIDN'T make it -- and in fact made about the worst possible response -- kinda puts a dent in the whole "quick thinker, great at taking questions" idea.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:05 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

The idiot is you Left eye.

There are private beaches in Hawaii, as a matter of fact there is a private island with nothing but private beaches in the group of Hawaiian Islands.

Keep telling yourself that you are smarter then everyone else you meet and maybe it will come true. Good luck with that.

You just spout **** off without knowing what the f*ck you are talking about.

Here's an article on Obama's trip -

Quote:
Obama may even have a beach of his own to wade in"he'll reportedly be chilling in a private oceanfront home at an undisclosed Oahu location. All beaches in Hawaii are accessible to the public so you may catch him chancing a wave or two.

http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/hawaii_today/2008/8/8/Barack_Obama_begins_Hawaii_vacation

Here's a travel guide to Hawaii -

Quote:

Obviously Hawaii has lots of beaches, and several guidebooks have sections dedicated to them. Technically all beaches in Hawaii are open to the public, but for those bordered by private property, the problem is getting to them. Many hotels have beach access trails on the edge of their property, and you'll find these in residential areas, too. Others may be accessible by dirt roads that seem iffy for a rental car. The easiest way to identify many beach trails is by parked cars on the side of a road, sometimes in places you didn't even realize was near the water!

http://www.prigsbee.com/Hawaii/beaches.html

When are you going to understand that you should stick to the water questions, and leave the politics for the adults? You are completely wrong. There is an island in Hawaii which is restricted to Native Hawaiians only, but that can hardly be considered a private beach.

Cycloptichorn
old europe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:07 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:

I don't think so. There was no big kerfuffle over these things in the past. People know that the McCains are in the super-rich league. That's nothing new. Also, it probably wouldn't have been a big deal to just research the number of houses he owns. It's not that by answering he would have spilled some kind of secret. It's not like the question was some kind of Catch-22.

The problem is rather that McCain's failure to answer the question in a straight-forward way comes across as being extremely out of touch with the economic situation the majority of Americans face.
rabel22

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:28 pm
@old europe,
I cant help but wonder if you think that the majority of senators and representatives in Washington DC know the finicial pain of a majority of the U S citizens. If you believe that Ive got some land in Flordia I would like to sell you.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:37 pm
@H2O MAN,
Can you provide an ounce of proof to back up your assertion? You will note that when you challenged my assertions, I went and found proof to back them up. That's what a responsible poster does. What are you going to do?

Cycloptichorn
old europe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:49 pm
@rabel22,
Quote:
I cant help but wonder if you think that the majority of senators and representatives in Washington DC know the finicial pain of a majority of the U S citizens. If you believe that Ive got some land in Flordia I would like to sell you.

Is this some variation of "the American system is rotten to the core anyway, so why bother about unimportant stuff like what the presidential candidates say?"

---

See, I think the point is that, in any kind of election, voters would have an interest in getting the candidate elected that is more in touch with the economic situation they are faced with. I doubt that people would vote for the guy who lights his cigars with 100 dollar notes while telling them quit whining and suck it up. Metaphorically speaking.

And therefore, I do think that McCain has an image problem once he starts getting across like that.
nimh

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 04:12 pm
Judging on the desperate-ness (?) of its responses, the McCain campaign seems to be seeing the brouhaha as a threat:

Quote:
The McCain Campaign Channels the Onion

From McCain campaign spokesperson Brian Rogers:

"This is a guy who lived in one house for five and a half years -- in prison."

--Jason Zengerle

Quote:
McCain: Chivalry's Not Dead

Frankly, if the McCain campaign didn't come back at Obama with an ad that highlights the role Tony Rezko played in Obama's home purchase, I'd think they'd lost their mojo. But their rationalization for playing the Rezko card, as a McCain campaign official gave it to Marc Ambinder, is priceless:

Though McCain is widely perceived to to drawn first blood by attacking Obama's character, the official said that the difference between Obama's mocking McCain for his wealth and his shaky answer on the number of homes he owns was that McCain's charge "reflects an existential reality," where Obama's charges "attack Cindy. She owns the homes. I thought he said the wives were off-limits."

--Jason Zengerle

Existential reality? Cindy owns the homes? Wow, I guess they've really been caught tongue-tied.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 05:08 pm
@nimh,
The problem is that they can see a narrative building, and there's plenty of material to fuel the fire, for it really is based in truth - he really is super-rich, has been so for known history, and is old and forgetful. The meme works well.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 05:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm waiting for Biden to say "noun, verb, POW":

http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsidian_wings/2008/08/you-knew-this-w.html
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:10 pm
@sozobe,
To step back a bit from the immediate issue:

I don't think that McCain should lose because he's rich. I think he should lose because of his policies and his apparent unfamiliarity with them, and the way he runs his campaign (and implications thereof); among other things.

However, it's been really frustrating to watch the media (in general) give him such a pass on so many things. Some of them substantial, some of them not, but a whole lotta passes. So if this marks some kind of change, I'd be happy about that.

That big-picture possibility is more interesting to me than the specifics of how many houses he owns. (But if you're interested, the number is apparently 8. Smile ):

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12700.html
RexRed

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:14 pm
I own ten homes and donate them out to the homeless, does that make me an elitist? (cynical)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:30 pm
Watch for the tv commercials tonight as Obama's campaign already has fired back with an "answer commercial" that addresses this issue.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:40 pm
@dyslexia,
Hey dys, your man Obama, he must be really smart if he wants to compare houses and property, such as what he owns, courtesy of his friend Tony Rezko.

Obama is making a tactical mistake, to try this stuff on McCain, it won't work.

McCain sits in prison in Hanoi, while Obama smokes pot and goes to exclusive schools, whos the elitist here? People aren't that dumb, Barry. I would say McCain earned every one of those houses, mostly by virtue of marrying his wife.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:43 pm
@okie,
Okie, can't you come up with something more original?

The Rezko thing is dead - nobody gives a damn outside of those looking for a way to attack Obama.

I think you will see that this line of conversation is quite damaging to McCain. His campaign cold freaked out today about it, and once again he resorted to pimping his POW status. I'm going to write a whole post later on on how pathetic that little practice has gotten.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 09:57 pm
@okie,
Quote:
McCain sits in prison in Hanoi, while Obama smokes pot and goes to exclusive schools, whos [sic]the elitist here? People aren't that dumb, Barry. I would say McCain earned every one of those houses, mostly by virtue of marrying his wife.

Obviously you are that dumb, Okie. How does one "earn" houses by marrying someone. You make it sound like Cindy's a royal bitch and McCain's a saint for having married her.

McCain sat in prison in Vietnam because the elitist little prick got bumped up to a flying status he should never have held.
0 Replies