Obama is an elitist

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:31 pm
@okie,
Quote:
So whats all the fuss over then? From what I have heard, it is his wife that manages the money, McCain himself is not that motivated by money, and that probably explains why he didn't know how many houses they own, his wife has properties rented out, houses the McCains don't use. What is so unusual about that? And from what I understand, some are rented out to relatives.

The big deal is that 95% of Americans own one home, and I guarantee that the other 4.999999% know how many homes they own. McCain is out of touch with his own lifestyle, he doesn't even know how rich he is compared to everyone else. Look at his answer for what it means to be 'rich'- 5 million in yearly income. Does that sound like someone who is plugged in to the common man's plight?

It reinforces the fact that McCain knows nothing about the actual problems people face, economically. You bunch used this same attack against Kerry 4 years ago, so you ought to recognize it. On another level, it reminds voters that McCain is old as hell, and forgetful. Who doesn't know how many houses they own? Someone who doesn't care about money. Who doesn't care about money? Someone who is not like most Americans. It's a very powerful argument, and it nicely dovetails into many other clueless comments McCain has made - you'll see a lot more of this.

Quote:

In contrast, Obama has a brother living in a hut, making a pittance, somewhere else in the world, and has he even received a dollar from Obama? Obama loves to quote the scripture, as you have done to the least of your brothers......, using it to justify the government taxing the rich to give to the poor, when what about his own brother?

Um, what is Obama supposed to do, exactly? Does his brother WANT money from him? Is he unhappy living in the village he lives in, like the rest of his family and everyone else they know? Is Obama supposed to elevate him to a higher class, just b/c he is Obama's brother? This is a bullshit argument and you know it. You don't have any information about the situation at all, other then the throw-away line you just used.

Quote:

Trying to make an issue of McCain's houses or McCain having money is nonsense, what are we supposed to do, elect a homeless person? Most politicians have money, that comes with the territory, because they are usually successful people and know how to manage money, and if they didn't, nobody would vote for them, do you want to vote for a loser with no money?

McCain isn't a successful person who knows how to manage money. That's the other prong of this argument. He never did one f*cking thing to earn or manage that money. His wife's family did, and he married in to it. That's not success, that's cheating on your wife and seducing an heiress. How can you even imply that it is?

You ought to face that this is going to be harmful to McCain. Even a partisan such as yourself can only come up with half-assed defenses. And you KNOW that if he picks Romney, we are going to have a field day running against two super-rich white guys, neither of whom has ever worried about money or having to pay next month's rent, or had to make tough choices between saving for their kids' future or improving their lives now. Truly this issue is revealing as to how out of touch McCain is with the very people he wants to elect him president.

And, I posted this in the other thread, but I will again here -

http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/28416/GR2008061200193.jpeg

Who are McCain and Romney? They are the super-rich.

Who are they going to be looking out for? The super-rich. Just look at the graph above. That's who they want to give the biggest PERCENTAGES of tax cuts to, forget about actual dollar terms - they want to give the biggest tax cuts to the people who need them the least. I think it would be interesting to find out how much McCain is proposing to cut his OWN TAXES by; you will note that Obama is proposing to RAISE his familiy's taxes...

I can't believe for a second you think that this won't be an effective line of attack. It hits on multiple fronts and boxes McCain in when it comes to the VP choice. That's why you saw the panic yesterday from his campaign, dropping all sorts of bullshit 'Rezko! Ayers! mwaahhhh he's a bad, unknown man!' lines to the press - they tried to do everything they could to change the narrative and were stunningly unsucessful. And it's going to continue throughout the convention.

You say that it's a mistake for the Dems to go negative against McCain at the convention? Bull. It's exactly what they should do. I mean, do you really think people want to hear another speech about hope from Obama? Instead, the Dems will spend the entire media frenzy week attacking McCain, putting him on the defensive, and rallying their troops.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:33 pm
@sozobe,
I'm not all over the place. I merely pointed out that the effort to paint McCain as some kind of an unknown, to combat the perception that Obama is an unknown, is just a campaign tactic, thats all. It is commonly known that you can try to take the biggest negative of your candidate, and try to neutralize it by spinning the same issue onto your opponent. Obama's handlers know what his weaknesses are, so they will try to use angles or issues to try to neutralize them or improve them. They know Obama is viewed as a big question mark, and they also know he may be viewed as an elitist, thus these two areas, they are trying to figure out how to fix them. So they attack McCain over his money, and some will try to make us think McCain is sort of mysterious, which is all transparently political tactics.

McCain has been around forever. Yes, some aspects or details about his personal life may not be widely known, but as a candidate, what he is and what he represents is pretty clear.

Also, many of us know that Obama is being pushed by the media, he is a media creation from the very beginning, starting with when the media touted his speech at the DNC. And so I pointed out that Obama is being treated very favorably by the press, to this very day, thats my opinion. Others can make a case to the contrary, but everybody is entitled to their opinions, as that is what it is. We can follow the news and draw our own conclusions, it depends upon who you ask.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:36 pm
@okie,
Quote:

McCain has been around forever. Yes, some aspects or details about his personal life may not be widely known, but as a candidate, what he is and what he represents is pretty clear.

Okie, how can you say this, given that he doesn't stand for hardly anything he stood for just four years ago? Do I need to post the list of things he's changed he has flipped on again? There are dozens of different topics!

I think you are wrong that the Dems are trying to paint him as an 'unknown.' He's not unknown at all; we know EXACTLY who he is and who he will represent: he's the super rich and will represent the super rich.

Cycloptichorn
old europe

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Okie, how can you say this, given that he doesn't stand for hardly anything he stood for just four years ago? Do I need to post the list of things he's changed he has flipped on again? There are dozens of different topics!

I guess okie would know. I seem to remember that he's been criticizing McCain on many of those points, before he became the Republican candidate...
old europe

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:39 pm
Help John McCain Count His Houses!

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=dhuMgUkiVOY

Very Happy

0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:44 pm
@old europe,
Thats right, I have not been a McCain supporter. I think he is insconsistent on alot of points. One biggee though, he is patriotic, he loves his country, and he will not intentionally sell it out. Obama, foreign policy, who really knows, he is a greenhorn, and possibly a disaster waiting to happen. Two things, I am very unsure of where his sentiments truly lie, and secondly, even if he tries to do the right thing for the country, he may be a disaster. Also, the people that McCain will appoint and ask for advice, I would trust them far more than the Obama wing of politics.

The vp choice will tell us something about Obama, and I think the Dems are nervous.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 12:56 pm
Obama's no fool, he's already turning to the populist angle against McCain on this issue -

Quote:
Barack's Salad Days

August 22, 2008 12:08 AM

Earlier today, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., launched a new attack against Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz, on his curious non-answer on how many homes he and his wife have. Tonight, in Chesapeake, Va., Obama recalled his more modest circumstances a few years ago.

"I have been truly blessed over the last few years " it hasn’t been a long time," Obama said. " I mean, before I wrote this book, or before this book started selling about four years ago, you know we were living in a condo. Myself, Michelle and our two girls.

"And we, you know, had two cars, but one of them was kind of beat up and we didn’t have a garage so you’d have to, in Chicago you gotta shovel your car out of the snow and scrape the ice," Obama continued. "And we didn’t know how we were going to afford college education for our kids ‘cause we had been paying down student loans for ten years between the two of us....

"Now we’re blessed," Obama said. "So the idea that I have to pay the same tax rate as the waitress over at Shoney’s who’s making maybe $16, 18, 20,000 a year " when the truth is that the extra 2% or 3% that I’m paying by rolling the Bush tax cuts " I won’t really notice, but for her, would allow to her get an extra $1,000 or $1500 or $2000 that would allow her to maybe buy a new coat for her kids or to get a new computer that they could work on."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/08/baracks-salad-d.html

Damn straight. That's like a dagger right to the heart of McCain. Sure, he was a POW, but does that excuse the fact that he never had to make these kinds of tough choices for his kids? That he doesn't get what it means to not have enough money? Nope.

Cycloptichorn
Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 02:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You mean that American voters are not elitist?
Or Obama is the only elitist? Or
USA needs only elitist can sleep in White house?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 03:51 pm
@Ramafuchs,
They probably are elitist - but I'm sure like all other elitists, they don't consider themselves to be Laughing

In other news, McCain is going to get killed by this narrative. From January:

Quote:
"Even if the economy is the, quote, number one issue, the real issue will remain America's security," [McCain] said. "If it's not the most important issue in the minds of many voters, America's security will remain the number one issue with me. And if they choose to say, 'Look, I do not need this guy because he's not as good on home loan mortgages,' or whatever it is, I understand that. I will accept that verdict. I am running because of the transcendent challenge of the twenty-first century, which is radical Islamic extremism, as you know."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/01/27/why_crist_went_for_mccain_1.html

He's not only removed from our economic situation, he doesn't really care that he is, he knows that he will lose votes due to it, and he's cool with that. I say, let's oblige him, America!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:02 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Yeah, the liberal press has done an excellent job of steering the masses into thinking the
economic sky is falling (it's not) and away from the real threat from radical Islamic extremism.

Elect Obama and you give radical Islamic extremist what they want and what the dumbmasses deserve.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:21 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Elect Obama and you give radical Islamic extremist what they want and what the dumbmasses deserve.

I get that you are saying Americans are dumbasses (since it is Americans who elect the president).

What I don't understand is what you think we deserve.
Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:24 pm
@H2O MAN,
The silly drama will be over in few months.
Oklahoma,
dalai lama
Obama,
Osama
panchanlama

i am Rama
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 09:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Obama's no fool, he's already turning to the populist angle against McCain on this issue -
Cycloptichorn
Intelligence is above his pay grade, cyclops.
Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:08 am
@okie,
There is one politician in this globe and his name is Nelson Mandela who had spent his prime life behind the bar and got elected after his release and mirrorored Christian tolerance by not taking revenge aginst the criminals who had ruled and ruined that country.
It is history and not Legacy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 03:23 pm
Quote:
Joe Biden, Attack Dog

Early in his speech at Springfield, he makes clear he won't be shy about throwing punches at his old friend from the Senate:

"Ladies and gentlemen, if your kitchen table is like mine, you sit there at night after you've put the kids to bed and you talk about what you need, you talk about how much you're worried about being able to pay the bills. Well, ladies and gentleman, that's not a worry John McCain will have to worry about... He'll have to figure out which of the seven kitchen tables to sit at."

Heh. Go get 'em, Joe.

(Those who point out that, hey, as Senator Joe Biden isnt exactly part of the struggling middle class either are right of course, though there is definitely a difference in degree between Biden, the least wealthy senator in the senate who still takes the train home at night from work, and McCain, the presidential candidate-cum-husband of a beer emporium heiress.)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 03:33 pm
@H2O MAN,
I always find it funny when your side brings up the threat of Islamic extremism when you tell us all the time how Bush as practically eliminated that threat.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 03:34 pm
@parados,
I find it funny that you think I've chosen a side. Tell us how you came to this conclusion.
roger

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 03:36 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
I guess okie would know. I seem to remember that he's been criticizing McCain on many of those points, before he became the Republican candidate...

Must be quite refreshing to see how strong an Obama supporter Joe Bidden has always been Ummm?
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 03:37 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
What I don't understand is what you think we deserve.

It's the dumbmasses that are going to vote O&B into office thus putting the entire country at risk.
These dumbmasses will get what they deserve for making an uninformed, emotional decision.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 03:57 pm
@roger,
Laughing

They were running against each other. Just like H. W. Bush was running against Reagan!
0 Replies