TexazEric

Wed 10 Jun, 2009 10:27 am
@Foxfyre,
FF,
You actually are probably familiar with Oneness Pentecostals because primarily they are the ones who can be easily identified as their women only wearing long skirts, not cutting their hair, they dont wear makeup or ornamental jewelry. The men usually have no facial hair, short haircuts and never wear shorts or take off their shirts in public. They used to not own televisions or go to movies or attend dances.

As for me thanks for the compliment. Although I did attend a very very fundamentalist Holiness Pentecostal Bible school (very much like described above, though Trinitarian) I would say that what I have learned and my views on subjects are based on my own study through the guidance of the Holy Ghost, not something I picked up from the Bible School. Though learning how to study the Bible properly is something they taught me well.

Reading many of the posts on these sites and others for me is such an eye opener. For me the Bible is so clear and beautifully put together. To me it is so perfected in its unity and purpose. The plan of salvation is so logical and clearly set forth. Not to say that I understand everything in the Bible but I believe the Holy Spirit has been good to me in helping to reveal Truth to me where God is concerned. (though some may argue). I by no means am a perfect person, as Paul said of himself, I feel the same about me. "I am the chiefest of sinners". I am so imperfect, and that only causes me to realize all the more that my righteousnesses are nothing and filthy in the sight of God.. I am blessed to have received the Righteousness of Jesus into my life for without it I would be lost and so much more sinful. Thank God for His perfect and beautiful plan of salvation, and the wondrous grace that He has extended toward a vile sinner such as I. I am so humbled and broken that He chose me to to be one of His own.
Foxfyre

Wed 10 Jun, 2009 10:52 am
@TexazEric,
Ah okay, you are probably right re 'Oneness Pentecostals'. In years past I headed a large service organization that included an olympic size indoor pool allowing competition, swimming lessons, life guard and SWI certification, and recreational swimming to the community. At one point we contracted to give swimming lessons to the students of a local Christian girls' school but the contract stipulated that the gallery (bleachers) area would be closed off and any windows into the pool area would be covered and all male staff banished so that no men would see the young ladies in their quite old fashioned, demure swim suits.

We complied with the request for the duration of the contract, and I didn't think much more about it other than how quaint for the modern age. But we were probably dealing with a component of the 'oneness group' huh.
TexazEric

Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:32 am
@Foxfyre,
Could be.. However some Baptists and other churches do the same. In most cases Ive seen the Girls will swim in their skirts.. guys in their jeans and shirts.. But could be
Foxfyre

Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:39 am
@TexazEric,
Possibly but most Baptist groups are not pentecostal and I'm pretty sure this group was. It wasn't as bad as you describe--we didn't allow street clothes in the pool anyway--but I did at other times observe the girls from the school running laps in their long, heavy skirts. From my perspective that wasn't just quaint but dumb, but live and let live.
OmSigDAVID

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 03:41 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Possibly but most Baptist groups are not pentecostal and I'm pretty sure this group was. It wasn't as bad as you describe--we didn't allow street clothes in the pool anyway--but I did at other times observe the girls from the school running laps in their long, heavy skirts. From my perspective that wasn't just quaint but dumb, but live and let live.

What is "pentecostal" ?
Francis

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 03:50 am
David wrote:
What is "pentecostal" ?

From an island of Vanuatu...

Or is it related to fifty bucks?
TexazEric

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 08:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Om,
Pentecostal is a denomination of Christian Church that bases its doctrine on the Biblical account of Acts Chapter 2. In this chapter we find the foundation of the Christian Church and the Outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the church. This outpouring of the Holy Spirit occurred on the Jewish Feast of Pentecost. The outpouring of the Spirit on the day of Pentecost was characterized by the disciples and others there were baptized in the Holy Ghost and with fire. They spoke in other tongues as a sign of Gods work. Thus the Pentecostals believe that the Spirit was poured out again in the early 1900's at a revival in Azusa Ca. when people seeking more from God were again baptized in the Holy Ghost and began to speak in other tongues. There is debate within Christendom whether this is truly the work of the Holy Spirit or just emotionalism. But that is what Pentecostals are. They adhere to the doctrine that the baptism of the Holy Ghost is evidenced by speaking in tongues. Hope that answers your question.
TexazEric

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 08:31 am
@Francis,
Quote:
From an island of Vanuatu...

Or is it related to fifty bucks?

Neither.. see my reply to Om
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:00 pm
@TexazEric,
TexazEric wrote:

Om,
Pentecostal is a denomination of Christian Church that bases its doctrine on the Biblical account of Acts Chapter 2. In this chapter we find the foundation of the Christian Church and the Outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the church. This outpouring of the Holy Spirit occurred on the Jewish Feast of Pentecost. The outpouring of the Spirit on the day of Pentecost was characterized by the disciples and others there were baptized in the Holy Ghost and with fire. They spoke in other tongues as a sign of Gods work. Thus the Pentecostals believe that the Spirit was poured out again in the early 1900's at a revival in Azusa Ca. when people seeking more from God were again baptized in the Holy Ghost and began to speak in other tongues. There is debate within Christendom whether this is truly the work of the Holy Spirit or just emotionalism. But that is what Pentecostals are. They adhere to the doctrine that the baptism of the Holy Ghost is evidenced by speaking in tongues. Hope that answers your question.

It might be useful to clarify that your very good definition applies to the generic pentecostal (small "p") that defines the core doctrine while there will be some variations in appliation or 'additional dogma' among the various denominations who describe themselves as pentecostal. There are some one to two hundred individual demoninations who identify themselves as pentecostal, and some have Pentecostal in their names while most don't. But to be absolutely precise, Pentecostal (capital "P") would refer to a specific denomination while pentecostal (small 'p') would refer to the basic shared belief among those denominations. Some stick closer to the Biblical form of pentecostal experience and teaching than others.
0 Replies

Francis

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:13 pm
TexazEric wrote:
Neither.. see my reply to Om

Religious people tend to be dense.

A little knowledge is dangerous.

Pentecost Island:

http://www.ccy.com.au/images/aerial-whitehaven.jpg

Trinity Island:

http://www.flaney.com/files/socal/photos/P/64/33/P643385_1.jpg
aidan

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:16 pm
@Francis,
Beautiful pictures Francis - spectacular enough to make one believe in something.
Francis

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:20 pm
@aidan,
I've done similar islands and it's a real pleasure to me to enjoy them without any mention to some silly deity..

Of course, having seen and experimented heaven on earth, I really don't care being in hell in after life...
aidan

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:22 pm
@Francis,
Quote:
Of course, having seen and experimented heaven on earth, I really don't care being in hell in after life...

You got that right - me neither.

Sorry to interrupt - but that first picture is stunning - awe-inspiring. Thanks for posting it.
0 Replies

TexazEric

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 05:16 pm
@Francis,
Thought you were asking not making a statement.. I stand corrected.. It is an Island as well. But the discussion is about religion.. Can't fault me for that can ya Francis?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 06:36 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Quite a generalized statement
0 Replies

Francis

Fri 12 Jun, 2009 05:48 am
Sensitive on the subject, aren't you, Intrepid? Twisted Evil

Intrepid wrote:

Francis wrote:

Indeed.

But looking closely at the meaning of words, tend leaves room for people who think that they are not included in said statement...
Intrepid

Fri 12 Jun, 2009 06:02 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Sensitive on the subject, aren't you, Intrepid? Twisted Evil

Not at all.

Intrepid wrote:

Francis wrote:

Francis wrote:
Indeed.

But looking closely at the meaning of words, tend leaves room for people who think that they are not included in said statement...

May God's grace and love cover you today Smile
Foxfyre

Fri 12 Jun, 2009 06:25 am
@Intrepid,
Well as I said, I believe God works in mysterious ways, and I believe there are many mansions in Heaven. I'm guessing there are probably some reserved and waiting for people who tend to think that religious people tend to be dense and those who tend to think that a thread about the Biblical/theologicalTrinity and subsequent discussion of pentecostalism might be about islands. The welcome mat is always out as it were.

The photos were lovely though. I think the phenomenon of recognizing and sharing concepts of what is beautiful might be God given and showered upon believers and those who tend not to be believers alike. Smile
Intrepid

Fri 12 Jun, 2009 06:51 am
@Foxfyre,
There are those who drop into religious threads just to stir up the pot. That is ok. At least they have some interest in seeing what the discussions are about. All are welcome. Smile
Foxfyre

Fri 12 Jun, 2009 06:55 am
@Intrepid,
Agreed. And I didn't know about Pentecost and Trinity islands and did enjoy the photos and learning that such places exist. I hope some enjoy learning about the probable background of the names assigned to those places.