When did people lose their sense of humour?

nimh

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 01:47 pm
I guess you cant really blame Obama too much; part of being a professional politician, let alone a presidential candidate, is that you just cant be seen to offend anyone. The cries of outrage are always close. I guess you dont really have a choice but to always side with the most prudish -- comes with the territory.

But jesus... I mean - pathetic...

Bernie Mac:

http://www.gii.in/hollywood/images/B/Bernie-Mac-1.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,045 • Replies: 159
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 02:43 pm
Speaking as a professional comedian and comedy writer, I think Mac's routine would have gone over better if it was FUNNY!!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 03:42 pm
You are a professional comedian??
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 03:51 pm
Moreover, you're a professional writer and you wrote "if it was funny" instead of "if it were funny?"

You fail.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 08:36 pm
Of course, you are entirely correct DrewDad! Pardon my faux pas! I may be drummed out of the writers guild for that! I must be more careful with my tenses! Why didn't my editor catch that?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:03 pm
I, like, did and stuff?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:06 pm
When did people lose their what?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:35 pm
And yet another Obama supporter thrown under the bus.

When did people lose their senses of humor?

When they found it personally satisfying and politically advantageous to be constantly offended.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:59 pm
NickFun wrote:
Speaking as a professional comedian and comedy writer
Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 11:00 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
When they found it personally satisfying and politically advantageous to be constantly offended.

Hey, I've noticed that, and not just in a political context.

Really, though, the quoted stuff wasn't really that funny.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 11:49 pm
Summarily, the materials I have seen quoted totally sucked. Or, shall I say, were entirely without artistic merit (to avoid offending the grammatically correct DrewDad).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 11:53 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I, like, did and stuff?

But it wasn't funny!!!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:49 am
NickFun wrote:
Of course, you are entirely correct DrewDad! Pardon my faux pas! I may be drummed out of the writers guild for that! I must be more careful with my tenses! Why didn't my editor catch that?

The subjunctive isn't a tense. It's a mood.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:12 am
joefromchicago wrote:
NickFun wrote:

That was a little bit funny.
Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:12 am
dlowan wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
NickFun wrote:

That was a little bit funny.
Laughing

Thank you, thank you very much. I'll be here all week. Try the veal, it's delicious. And remember to tip your waitresses.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:05 am
roger wrote:
Really, though, the quoted stuff wasn't really that funny.

It made me grin. Point is, it wasn't really that offensive either. I mean, if this is enough to get one sternly admonished about one's jokes, why the hell have a comedian on stage in the first place?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:37 am
joefromchicago wrote:
NickFun wrote:

I always though "were" and "was" were tenses of the verb in conjugation (i.e. I am, you are, he is, they are, we were, he was, etc). Now you are telling me they are moods? I'm giving back my college degree. Obviously I should be working for McDonald's.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:50 am
NickFun wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
NickFun wrote:

I always though "were" and "was" were tenses of the verb in conjugation (i.e. I am, you are, he is, they are, we were, he was, etc). Now you are telling me they are moods? I'm giving back my college degree. Obviously I should be working for McDonald's.

Don't be precipitate...your present mood (like a kidney stone or a prune pit) will pass.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:18 am
Comics say funny things. Comedians say things funny. Without seeing the routine along with the delivery--body language, facial expressions, vocal inflections--I don't know whether I would have thought the lines funny. Most comedy routines aren't all that funny on paper--it is the comedian himself/herself who makes them funny.

Based on the one example Nimh posted, I'm going to side with him on this one. The lines were not offensive and, if effectively presented, could be funny. I don't know anything about Bernie Mac, but if Jerry Seinfeld delivered those lines, they would be funny. They certainly aren't anything for anybody to get their panties in a bunch over.

I think everybody should lighten up and not make a career of finding things to be offended about. There is enough stuff said seriously to consume sufficient indignation and outrage. I would hate to see us lose the ability to poke fun at ourselves.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:31 am
Liberals go out of their way to be offended. In this case it was Bernie Mac, tomorrow it will be something else.
0 Replies