When did people lose their sense of humour?

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:18 pm
I only blame the New Yorker for poor judgement. I don't say they aren't allowed to produce that cover.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:36 pm
And most of us are guilty of poor judgement on one thing or another.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:40 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Most successful satire images play on a truth about the subject

As osso pointed out so elegantly, the subject was not the Obamas -- the subject was the loonies who actually believe this stuff about the Obamas. The "truth" there is that wow, there are people who actually believe this stuff, as ridiculous as it is.

edgarblythe wrote:
I only blame the New Yorker for poor judgement.

I don't think it was poor judgment either, though.

Ah well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:45 pm
There is no dispute as to the original intent of the picture, but, as I said, the picture takes on a life of its own, and in this case was in my opinion incredibly bad judgement.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:46 pm
sozobe wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Most successful satire images play on a truth about the subject

As osso pointed out so elegantly, the subject was not the Obamas -- the subject was the loonies who actually believe this stuff about the Obamas. The "truth" there is that wow, there are people who actually believe this stuff, as ridiculous as it is.

edgarblythe wrote:
I only blame the New Yorker for poor judgement.

I don't think it was poor judgment either, though.

Ah well.

soz, You got that right! Some people still believe Obama is a Muslim, even after all the facts came out about his beliefs.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 01:27 pm
B. Hussein Obama.

Not muslim? Not even one tiny bit?

LMFAO!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 01:30 pm
cjh, You should laugh your ass off, because your head's in it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 01:32 pm
And I'm the one who can see that Barack Hussein Obama is, quite clearly, an Islamic name.

Now, douchebrains, who has their head in their ass? Not me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 01:43 pm
In cjh's world, all Islamic names not only signify a terrorist, but they must all be eliminated from this planet.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 01:55 pm
cjhsa wrote:
And I'm the one who can see that Barack Hussein Obama is, quite clearly, an Islamic name.

Now, douchebrains, who has their head in their ass? Not me.

Lol, I dunno; I think that someone with their head out of their ass would know the difference between an Arabic name, and an Islaamic one.

Maroon.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 03:13 pm
While I don't think there is anything particularly significant in a name--which is one reason I highly resent the Obama people calling anybody racist who actually uses his name--I wonder why parents of black Kenyan and Indonesian ancestry, with Muslim roots, would give their kid an Arabian name?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 03:20 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
While I don't think there is anything particularly significant in a name--which is one reason I highly resent the Obama people calling anybody racist who actually uses his name--I wonder why parents of black Kenyan and Indonesian ancestry would give their kid an Arabian name?

Oh, I don't know, perhaps b/c Swahili borrowed a ton of words from... Arabic?

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004187.html

One
Minute
Of
Googling
Brings
Answers

Again

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 03:30 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

One
Minute
Of
Googling
Brings
Answers

Again

Cycloptichorn
Laughing
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 03:35 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

One
Minute
Of
Googling
Brings
Answers

Again

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 04:33 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Marooon.

Cycloptichorn

http://www.dyna.co.za/cars/Ford_29_Model_A_Standard_Phaeton_Maroon-Green_sf11.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 04:38 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
While I don't think there is anything particularly significant in a name--which is one reason I highly resent the Obama people calling anybody racist who actually uses his name--I wonder why parents of black Kenyan and Indonesian ancestry, with Muslim roots, would give their kid an Arabian name?

Jesus wept.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 04:49 pm
dlowan wrote:

Jesus wept.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

A whole lot of them do that after the USA beats Mexico in the World Cup.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:08 pm
Googling doesn't answer my question. I've now read both of Obama's books and read the history--I know where he got his name. But Kenya is one of the few African nations that is not despotic and in which Islam is a fairly small minority and Arabs make up less than 1% of the population.

So.....as Obama's Kenyan family goes back at least as far as his grandfather and his grandfather and father were Muslim, are Barack and Hussein common names in Kenya? Or are they family names descending from and related to Islamic roots? I am not at all suggesting Obama is Muslim as there is no evidence that he is. I'm pretty sure considering his ancestry and his name that the Islamic world sees him much more as one of them than any other of our national leaders however.

I honestly wondered if anybody knew since Cyclop was so certain that Obama's name was not chosen as an Islamic name but rather simply an Arabic one.

Demographics of Kenya:
Facts and Statistics

Location: Eastern Africa, bordering the Indian Ocean, between Somalia and Tanzania.
Capital: Nairobi.
Climate: varies from tropical along coast to arid in interior.
Population: 36,913,721 (estimated - July 2007.)
Ethnic Make-up: Kikuyu 22%, Luhya 14%, Luo 13%, Kalenjin 12%, Kamba 11%, Kisii 6%, Meru 6%, other African 15%, non-African (Asian, European, and Arab) 1%.
Religions: Protestant 45%, Roman Catholic 33%, Muslim 10%, indigenous beliefs 10%, other 2%.
Government: republic
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:19 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Googling doesn't answer my question. I've now read both of Obama's books and read the history--I know where he got his name. But Kenya is one of the few African nations that is not despotic and in which Islam is a fairly small minority and Arabs make up less than 1% of the population.

So.....as Obama's Kenyan family goes back at least as far as his grandfather and his grandfather and father were Muslim, are Barack and Hussein common names in Kenya? Or are they family names descending from and related to Islamic roots? I am not at all suggesting Obama is Muslim as there is no evidence that he is. I'm pretty sure considering his ancestry and his name that the Islamic world sees him much more as one of them than any other of our national leaders however.

I honestly wondered if anybody knew since Cyclop was so certain that Obama's name was not chosen as an Islamic name but rather simply an Arabic one.

Demographics of Kenya:
Facts and Statistics

Location: Eastern Africa, bordering the Indian Ocean, between Somalia and Tanzania.
Capital: Nairobi.
Climate: varies from tropical along coast to arid in interior.
Population: 36,913,721 (estimated - July 2007.)
Ethnic Make-up: Kikuyu 22%, Luhya 14%, Luo 13%, Kalenjin 12%, Kamba 11%, Kisii 6%, Meru 6%, other African 15%, non-African (Asian, European, and Arab) 1%.
Religions: Protestant 45%, Roman Catholic 33%, Muslim 10%, indigenous beliefs 10%, other 2%.
Government: republic

Wow, Fox.

Quote:
Pre-colonial history

Cushitic-speaking people, as termed by Schloezer, from northern Africa, moved into the area that is now Kenya beginning around 2000 BC. Arab traders began frequenting the Kenya coast around the 1st century AD. Kenya's proximity to the Arabian Peninsula invited colonization, and Arab and Persian settlements sprouted along the coast by the 8th century. During the first millennium AD, Nilotic and Bantu-speaking peoples moved into the region, and the latter now comprise three-quarters of Kenya's population.

In the centuries preceding colonization, the Swahili coast of Kenya was part of the east African region which traded with the Arab world and India especially for ivory and slaves (the Ameru tribe is said to have originated from slaves escaping from Arab lands some time around the year 1700.). Initially these traders came mainly from Arab states, but later many also came from Zanzibar (such as Tippu Tip).

Swahili, a Bantu language with many Arabic, Persian and other Middle Eastern and South Asian loan words, developed as a lingua franca for trade between the different peoples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenya

Googling etymology barack brings up the original link I posted as one of the top links. From that link,

Quote:
Is this really the best that Obama's opponents can do? And shouldn't a seasoned political reporter like Mike Allen have done just a little bit of legwork to investigate this alleged inconsistency? Many voices in the blogosphere, such as Brad DeLong, Matthew Yglesias, and The Poor Man, pounced on Allen's story to make a very simple point: there is no inconsistency in Obama's interpretations, since "Barack" is rooted in both Arabic and Swahili. Swahili has an enormous number of loanwords from Arabic, and "Bara(c)k" is pretty obviously one of them. It's derived from the Arabic triliteral B-R-K (برك), the morphological basis for many words having to do with the act of blessing. Commenting on Crooks and Liars, bulbul (one of the erudite regulars in Languagehat's comment section) provides this helpful background:

I'd venture a guess and say that Obama's name comes from "baaraka" (بارك), a III. form verb which most often crops up in the phrase "baarak(a) Allaah fiik" (بارك الله فيك) meaning "may God bless you" or even "thank you". My Swahili dictionary lists "barak(a)" as a noun meaning "blessing, prosperity, abundance".
The Arabic for "blessed" is "mubaarak" (مبارك), as in the surname of the Egyptian president.
So to recap: Barak Obama's first name is both Swahili (as it is a part of Swahili lexicon) and Arabic (since it is Arabic by origin).

The whole language is derived from Arabic roots.

Once again, I'm forced to say that this information took less then 5 minutes to find and compile, and were top results to searches. I'm wondering, did you not actually look?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure considering his ancestry and his name that the Islamic world sees him much more as one of them than any other of our national leaders however.

Uh, yeah, I'm sure they do! Now, explain to me the downside of that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:40 pm
sozobe wrote:
I'm in an argument on a local Obama email list about whether a (bigger) stink should be made about it. They're shooting for an apology from the New Yorker or a sticker (!) on the cover or something. I think that's flat-out ridiculous, and counterproductive.

Hey Soz, grateful to see you're on the sane side...
0 Replies