When did people lose their sense of humour?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:34 pm
Hmm. What a great question, Amigo. Go for it..

Me, I think it can enable or disable. Thus, it depends.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:09 pm
nimh wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
[Obama:] "I know it was The New Yorker's attempt at satire. I don't think they were entirely successful with it," Obama said. "But you know what? It's a cartoon ... and that's why we've got the First Amendment."

How is this "making hay of it"? Isn't he doing exactly what he should be doing - downplaying it, shrugging it off? Considering he wasnt going to be able to avoid the question, what would you have had him say? ]

You have to put my comment within its full context which of necessity requires that you use all the excerpt that I posted and linked:

Quote:
Barack Obama to the New Yorker: It's your right - but you weren't right.

In his first substantive talk about the magazine's inflammatory cartoon depicting him and his wife as fist-bumping terrorists, Obama told CNN's Larry King the image fueled misconceptions and insulted Muslim Americans.

"I know it was The New Yorker's attempt at satire. I don't think they were entirely successful with it," Obama said. "But you know what? It's a cartoon ... and that's why we've got the First Amendment."

In other words, he really isn't blowing or shrugging it off, but he is obviously peeved and, if he does accept that it isn't about him, he tries to relate it to an unacceptable image of Muslims.

The fact is, none of us who got the satire related it to Muslims per se but we understood that it was showing the absurdity of how the Obama's are portrayed by those who make up stuff about him to instill fear.

Those who didn't get the satire also didn't see it as an insult to Muslims but rather incorrectly saw it as an insult to the Obamas.

What Obama should have said is that "Hey its a cartoon. It's free speech. And it correctly portrays the silly things that some people say or think about Michelle and me. Lighten up people and see it for what it is."

THAT would have been classy and staying above the fray. Instead he either still doesn't understand the satire or, if he did, he very much appears to be using it incorrectly on purpose to pander to Muslim people.
Again, if the satire wasn't about him but about those who mischaracterize him, then the satire isn't about Muslim people either but could show how they are mischaracterized as well.

I don't think he or his spekespeople have done him any favors in how he handled it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:17 am
This explains it completely.

Don axe dis again.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:48 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Question: If the cartoon wasn't about Obama, a point about which at least most of us agree, then why is the cartoon about Muslims? If the point of the satire is to illustrate the absurdity of the way some on the right are attempting to portray Obama, couldn't the same be true re Muslims?

Reread what he said.

Satire is tricky; you have to nail it or people will think you're serious.

Poorly done satire (which IMO the cover was) runs the risk of being taken seriously.

If the cover is taken seriously, then it adds to peoples fears of Muslims rather than lampooning such fears.

True as regards the dynamics of satire, and possibly true about the failure of this particular satire, but what really was the extent of the risk?

Certainly not even close to great enough for the New Yorker to consider not publishing the cover.

BTW - Yours is a new angle: The cover contributes to fear of Muslims which is far less parochial than The cover contributes to the fear of Obama. Neither were/are worth the New Yorker's consideration, but at least you've tried to move it away from being all about Obama.

'Twasn't me, 'twas Obama.

Quote:
Obama told CNN's Larry King the image fueled misconceptions and insulted Muslim Americans.

"I know it was The New Yorker's attempt at satire. I don't think they were entirely successful with it," Obama said. "But you know what? It's a cartoon ... and that's why we've got the First Amendment."

Nice to see you agreeing with Barack Hussein himself.... Wink
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 04:02 pm
By contrast, John McCain good naturedly diffuses many of the cracks the mean spirited would take at him by poking fun at himself and unpretentiously saying it like it is. Some of his most favorable and popular clips show his clever self-deprecating humor:

LIKE THIS
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 04:14 pm
It's a good think McCain has a sense of humor, because he's also known for his explosive temper.

McCain's Temper May Become an Issue

By Scott Thomsen
Associated Press Writer
Sunday, Oct. 31, 1999; 6:38 p.m. EST

PHOENIX -- While rising in the GOP presidential polls, Sen. John McCain is facing questions about what some Arizona political leaders view as his quick temper - and whether it might hinder him as president.

In a front page article and separate editorial Sunday, The Arizona Republic said it wanted the nation to know about the "volcanic" temper McCain has unleashed on several top state officials.

Those who have been on the receiving end of a McCain uproar include Republican Gov. Jane Hull, former Republican Gov. Rose Mofford and former Democratic Mayor Paul Johnson of Phoenix.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 07:45 pm
http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r332/mccainlist/amigo-illegals.jpg

I love free republic. Always makes me giggle.

Judges are no reason to vote for McCain

sidebar from that page

Quote:
Republican Commissar's Warning: By joining this ping list, you may be subjected to the irrational rants and ramblings of McCainiacs, of "moderate" Republicans, of deeply confused conservatives resigned to voting for the lesser of two Democrats, and of countless trolls who simply want to meet a new overlord.

Laughing
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 01:09 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Oops - this is not a quote by nimh - it is a quote by me.

No wonder you're confused, Finn the way you're burning thru avatars. Did you get into an avatar club or something? Have you downloaded your own Zwincky yet?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 02:15 am
When did they lose their sense of humour? When they started calling it HUMOR.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 04:54 am
Heh
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 05:48 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
When did they lose their sense of humour? When they started calling it HUMOR.

British "humour" is funny? Since when?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 06:47 am
oh stop. British humour is very funny.

Benny Hill, Monty Python, The Young Ones, The Office, etc are all ridiculously funny.

People lost there sense of humor due directly to the internet. Anonymous communications allow people to be extraordinarily rude and offensive. There are no repercussions or feelings.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 06:51 am
I hadda post here, just so I can say it.

I agree with McG...

Shocked :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 06:53 am
I was speaking in jest.

Another thing you cannot easily read from text.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 09:41 am
Agreed CJ. Especially re those who tilt right, some on the left are as incapable of accepting exaggeration for effect, metaphors for illustration, or satire intended as humor as many were incapable of understanding that New Yorker cover or the Bernie Mac routine. No sense of humor at all. Smile

To their credit, some of our more left leaning members actually do have a sense of humor though, and they are fun.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:18 pm
This cartoon for instance is satire. I imagine many on the right will smile and understand it. Some on the Left will at least understand it. And some will be incensed and not get it as anything other than a smear or unfounded smear of Obama.

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/mrz071708dAPR.jpg
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:31 pm
This cartoon for instance is more satire. I imagine many on the left will smile and understand it. Some on the Right will at least understand it. And some will be incensed and not get it as anything other than a smear or unfounded smear of McCain.

http://danzigercartoons.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/dancart3644.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:34 pm
Cindy's kinda hot even in a badly drawn cartoon.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:35 pm
Okay, I'll admit I don't get it other than it is a parody of the New Yorker cartoon. I'm not offended by it, but please interpret it for us OE.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:35 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Cindy's kinda hot even in a badly drawn cartoon.

Laughing
0 Replies