When did people lose their sense of humour?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 10:23 am
McGentrix wrote:
Liberals go out of their way to be offended. In this case it was Bernie Mac, tomorrow it will be something else.

Right wingers are guilty too, only usually there are more offended by actions than words. Gotta agree with Foxfyre though, the tendency to get offended is mental quick-sand, it warps our minds ("look for it a ye shall find it"). I saw a bumper sticker a few weeks ago that I love.....Big letters and says only "NO WHINING!"
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:07 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Comics say funny things. Comedians say things funny. Without seeing the routine along with the delivery--body language, facial expressions, vocal inflections--I don't know whether I would have thought the lines funny. Most comedy routines aren't all that funny on paper--it is the comedian himself/herself who makes them funny.

Based on the one example Nimh posted, I'm going to side with him on this one. The lines were not offensive and, if effectively presented, could be funny. I don't know anything about Bernie Mac, but if Jerry Seinfeld delivered those lines, they would be funny. They certainly aren't anything for anybody to get their panties in a bunch over.

I think everybody should lighten up and not make a career of finding things to be offended about. There is enough stuff said seriously to consume sufficient indignation and outrage. I would hate to see us lose the ability to poke fun at ourselves.

I think there were several more contreversial lines, that weren't reprinted here by Nimh -

Quote:
The Chicago-born comedian and actor told what he said was a joke about his nephew coming to him and asking the difference between a hypothetical question and a realistic question.

To demonstrate the difference, he tells the nephew to go ask his mother if she would make love to the mailman for $50,000. The mother says she would make love to the mailman and anybody else for $50,000.

He tells the nephew to go ask his sister if she would make love with her neighbor for $50,000. She says she would make love with the neighbor and anybody else for $50,000.

So he tells the nephew: "Hypothetically speaking, we should have $100,000. But realistically speaking we live with two hos," Bernie Mac said.

http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/2008/07/11/obama-doesnt-appreciate-ho-joke-at-fundraiser/

What the f*ck was Obama's crew supposed to do? Laugh it off, get accused of sexism; say something, now he's too sensitive and has no sense of humor.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:01 pm
NickFun wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
NickFun wrote:
Of course, you are entirely correct DrewDad! Pardon my faux pas! I may be drummed out of the writers guild for that! I must be more careful with my tenses! Why didn't my editor catch that?

The subjunctive isn't a tense. It's a mood.

I always though "were" and "was" were tenses of the verb in conjugation (i.e. I am, you are, he is, they are, we were, he was, etc). Now you are telling me they are moods?

Verbs have persons, moods, and tenses. What you're doing is conjugating the verb "to be" in the indicative mood (not correctly, but we'll ignore that). "I am the king of the forest" is first-person present indicative. "If I were the king of the forest" is first-person present subjunctive.

NickFun wrote:
I'm giving back my college degree. Obviously I should be working for McDonald's.

That's one option.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:06 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Liberals go out of their way to be offended. In this case it was Bernie Mac, tomorrow it will be something else.

Right wingers are guilty too, only usually there are more offended by actions than words. Gotta agree with Foxfyre though, the tendency to get offended is mental quick-sand, it warps our minds ("look for it a ye shall find it"). I saw a bumper sticker a few weeks ago that I love.....Big letters and says only "NO WHINING!"

I don't think that it is so much that Right Wingers can't enjoy poking fun at themselves (or others), but I agree that Right Wingers can be just as guilty making a mountain out of a molehill. Senator McCain threw Phil Gramm under the bus for essentially reciting your favorite bumper sticker. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:13 pm
Geez, Louise. Writers aren't always perfect grammarians. Some who are, or seem to be, can't write comedic screenplays for all the tea in Seattle.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:21 pm
And these days sometimes we just say things the way they sound better rather than try to be grammatically correct. Sometimes ending a sentence with a preposition just works better than forcing grammatically correct syntax into the sentence.

My computer still informs me that "You've got mail!" when I sign on in the mornings. Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:07 pm
Quote:
So he tells the nephew: "Hypothetically speaking, we should have $100,000. But realistically speaking we live with two hos," Bernie Mac said.

Heh. That made me grin too.

And I mean, please - this is basically just a reiteration of the classic (and ancient) witticism with the puchline, "we already established that, now we're just haggling about the price" - variously attributed to Winston Churchill, Groucho Marx and G.B. Shaw.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
What the f*ck was Obama's crew supposed to do?

Um. If you're going to be squeamish about jokes (and like I said, this really just is an old one, nothing particularly shocking), then dont bloody ask a comedian to perform at your event! Jeez.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:15 pm
At least it wasn't vitreous humour.

I tend to agree with nimh on the "get over it" aspect. But I might also not have excised Stephanie Power for her onetime use of the word 'monster'.
Admonished, sure.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:17 pm
I am thinking that this follows from the Imus brouhaha, where there was a lot of thinking about why it was OK for blacks to call black women ho's but it was not OK for others (to include Imus) to use the same language. Many even in the black community were then calling for a blanket ban on the term "ho". Bernie Mac must not have gotten the memo of the change in the PC law.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:24 pm
An owner of a comedy club said that if you are going to make a joke offensive to someone's race, "it had better be the funniest joke ever told." The same would be true about jokes offensive to someone's gender.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 02:15 pm
The media has shown it's willingness to spend quite a bit of time talking about Obama's 'woman' problems.

Imagine if Obama's camp had, like many here, just said 'oh, where's your sense of humor?'

I can't see how there was much else they could do but disavow Bernie Mac, and I agree - they never shoulda hired that guy in the first place, as these jokes are not outside the boundaries of his normal routine...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 02:26 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The media has shown it's willingness to spend quite a bit of time talking about Obama's 'woman' problems.

Imagine if Obama's camp had, like many here, just said 'oh, where's your sense of humor?'

I can't see how there was much else they could do but disavow Bernie Mac, and I agree - they never shoulda hired that guy in the first place, as these jokes are not outside the boundaries of his normal routine...

Cycloptichorn

This is the Democrats that we are talking about, it is entirely possible that he was hired because of his skin color.

What did Obama say about this??
Quote:
Barack has a handicap the other candidates don't have: Barack Obama has a black wife. And I don't think a black woman can be first lady of the United States. Yeah, I said it! A black woman can be president, no problem. First lady? Can't do it. You know why? Because a black woman cannot play the background of a relationship. Just imagine telling your black wife that you're president? 'Honey, I did it! I won! I'm the president.' 'No, we the president! And I want my girlfriends in the Cabinet! I want Kiki to be secretary of state! She can fight!' "
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/chrisrock/articles/story/19551925/chris_rock_isnt_laughing
Chris Rock
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 02:56 pm
NickFun wrote:
Of course, you are entirely correct DrewDad! Pardon my faux pas! I may be drummed out of the writers guild for that! I must be more careful with my tenses! Why didn't my editor catch that?

Actually, DrewDad is entirely wrong, but I suspect he was just pullin' your leg, NF. There's nothing wrong with your tenses or with you using "if I/he/she/it was ...".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 03:04 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
And these days sometimes we just say things the way they sound better rather than try to be grammatically correct. Sometimes ending a sentence with a preposition just works better than forcing grammatically correct syntax into the sentence.

My computer still informs me that "You've got mail!" when I sign on in the mornings. Smile

The 'rule' against sentence ending prepositions was never a rule that governed English. It was a prescription. There's a big difference. Native speakers of English don't follow prescriptions, they follow the natural rules of English.

Your computer knows that there's nothing wrong with "You've got mail". Why don't you, Foxy? Smile
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 03:26 pm
dlowan wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
I, like, did and stuff?

But it wasn't funny!!!

Sez you. You're probably an insane, humorless liberal.

I thought his response was hilarious, btw.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 03:33 pm
DrewDad wrote:
dlowan wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
I, like, did and stuff?

But it wasn't funny!!!

Sez you. You're probably an insane, humorless liberal.

I thought his response was hilarious, btw.

I thought you were both funny.

As for the topic of the thread:

I think Obama was between a rock and a hard place.

If he said nothing, the right would have used that against him big-time.

The point about not using at least THIS comic unless you're prepared for his humour type seems valid, too, though.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 03:35 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Liberals go out of their way to be offended.

conservatives just come by it naturally

to answer nimh's original question, i believe it was a tuesday
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 03:40 pm
Bernie Mac is a very successful entertainer precisely because of the sort of humor that seems to have gotten him in trouble with Obama.

How did this happen?

Should the Obama organizers have expected this sort of flap? If Bernie had made jokes about inept white men or George Bush, the audience would have roared with laughter. Perhaps they thought he knew he was supposed to limit his jokes to targets the audience believed deserve ridicule.

Obviously they thought having Bernie Mac open the event would be cool, and add to the hippness of the Obama image.

How many votes did Obama actually stand to lose if he didn't renounce Bernie? As many as he might have gained if he had responded. "C'mon people --- it's just a joke!"?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 04:19 pm
To quote a famous philosopher "**** 'em if they can't take a joke".

Actually, though I have written for various publications, I am mostly a script writer. Therefore, I am allowed certain liberties with the English language. And I was right anyway.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 04:43 pm
advocate wrote;
"As is the wont of stupid people, Dys lacks a sense of humor."
0 Replies