Why Does Barack Obama Want To Ban All Our Guns?

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:45 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
. . . (2) the intention of the amendment likely at least included an effort to protect the people against excessive government control, since that's what the other amendments in the Bill of Rights seem designed to do.

The second amendment speaks of participation in a well-regulated militia, while the others of the first ten amendments concern themselves mostly with the protection of the rights of individuals. The ninth amendment provides that rights not enumerated are not necessarily denied the people, and the tenth amendment deals with the rights of the several states and of the people collectively. There is no mention of, nor even any referential allusion to excessive government control in any part of the first ten amendments. This is however (the protection against government tyranny dodge) a favorite stalking horse of rightwingnut gun freaks.

Your argument is without merit. Perhaps you could defend your position by referring specifically to which of the ten amendments which constitute the bill of rights are designed to protect us from excessive government control.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:13 am
Setanta, your argument is without merit.
It is nothing more than a favorite talking point used by left wing anti gun liberals without testicles.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 12:37 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
It is nothing more than a favorite talking point used by left wing anti gun liberals without testicles.
I'm quite sure Set is going to sit right down and examine his entire epistemology due to your scathing and devastating critique of his argument, a suicide watch has been invoked for the next 48 hours but with help and support we think Set might survive. i do believe H2O man that you brilliant use of the socratic method should be added to the Platonic Dialogues of Socrates as an example of supreme logic in rhetoric.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 01:09 pm
dyslexia wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
I'm quite sure Set is going to sit right down and examine his entire epistemology due to your scathing and devastating critique of his argument, a suicide watch has been invoked for the next 48 hours but with help and support we think Set might survive. i do believe H2O man that you brilliant use of the socratic method should be added to the Platonic Dialogues of Socrates as an example of supreme logic in rhetoric.

Laughing You crack me up !!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 01:20 pm
Did somebody leave the screen door open? I think i can hear a fly buzzing around.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 01:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
Did somebody leave the screen door open? I think i can hear a fly buzzing around.

Flies drawn to your shrunken festering nads ??
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 02:40 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I don't know and I don't care. The fact that I make one assertion doesn't mean that I'm obligated to take a position on any other issue. What I am asserting is that (1) the Founders clearly meant for the right to own guns to be protected,

This is based on what? Your interpretation of the meaning of the word "arms' to only mean guns? Why would they use the word "arms" if they only meant guns?

Or is your interpretation that they meant the standard "arms" that a militia would have carried at the time it was written so that is why you think it applies only to guns?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 02:42 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Flies drawn to your shrunken festering nads ??

Hey Set. It seems H2O _MAN thinks you are growing balls. You've certainly graduated from lacking testicles.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 02:58 pm
WateronthebrainMan can never be accused to employing logic . . . that would be so unfair . . .
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 01:52 am
Setanta wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The purpose of our constitutional gun rights is . . . to have guns for use in militias and for self-defense. (emphasis added, editing has not changed essential meaning, and clarifies the allegation about constitutional authority.)

Jesus, you always try to pull off **** like this. Absolutely nowhere in the constitution is any putative right of self-defense mentioned, in a context of keeping and bearing arms, nor in any other context.

It doesn't have to be mentioned. It emanates from the penumbra of the Second Amendment by way of the Ninth Amendment.

The Supreme Court will explain it all in a week or so (they should have all this year's rulings issued within the next 10 days, with the next batch coming Monday morning).
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 02:01 am
parados wrote:
Oh? really? So then you think the Bush adminsistration is also in a conspiracy to ban arms allowed under the constitution.

Yes, but not nearly as bad as what Obama would do to our liberty.

parados wrote:
Either arms means ALL military arms as you are claiming

Not what I am claiming.

parados wrote:
or it means only those arms used in a militia when the constitution was passed if you want to be a constitutional originalist.

A constitutional originalist would look to the intent of the Framers. It was not the intent of the Framers that the militia be limited to only those arms that existed at the end of the 18th century.

The intent of the framers was that the militia keep up with the times and use modern weapons.

parados wrote:
Your tortured reading to make it seem that Obama wants to ban guns allowed because they are military in nature is completely indefensible unless and until you want to defend my right to keep a nuclear weapon in my basement.l

My respect for the will of the Framers is hardly tortured reasoning.

A nuclear weapon is not the sort of weapon a militia would use.

I'll defend your right to have an M16 though.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 02:08 am
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

He certainly wants to ban any guns that might be covered by our Constitutional gun rights.

The 10 round clip I posted a link to earlier was for an Enfeild 2A.

So, is a standard military rifle covered or not by the 2nd now?

The Enfield is not a standard military rifle.

It WAS a standard military rifle a long long time ago, but is certainly isn't now.

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The purpose of our constitutional gun rights is not "sporting use". The point is to have guns for use in militias and for self-defense.

Then what the hell have you been doing talking about the banning of .30-.30 ammo for if it isn't constitutionally protected?

The fact that we don't have the right to have it doesn't mean I can't protest if I think it is being banned.

I don't have the right to eat pizza, but I'd be up in arms if the government went and banned pizza.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:19 am
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
. . . (2) the intention of the amendment likely at least included an effort to protect the people against excessive government control, since that's what the other amendments in the Bill of Rights seem designed to do.

The second amendment speaks of participation in a well-regulated militia, while the others of the first ten amendments concern themselves mostly with the protection of the rights of individuals. The ninth amendment provides that rights not enumerated are not necessarily denied the people, and the tenth amendment deals with the rights of the several states and of the people collectively. There is no mention of, nor even any referential allusion to excessive government control in any part of the first ten amendments. This is however (the protection against government tyranny dodge) a favorite stalking horse of rightwingnut gun freaks.

Your argument is without merit. Perhaps you could defend your position by referring specifically to which of the ten amendments which constitute the bill of rights are designed to protect us from excessive government control.

Sure, the 1st forbids the government to deny the people freedom of speech or assembly, the 3rd forbids the government to arbitrarily house soldiers in citizens' houses without their permission, the 4th forbids the government to search or arrest at will, and so on.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:25 am
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I don't know and I don't care. The fact that I make one assertion doesn't mean that I'm obligated to take a position on any other issue. What I am asserting is that (1) the Founders clearly meant for the right to own guns to be protected,

This is based on what? Your interpretation of the meaning of the word "arms' to only mean guns? Why would they use the word "arms" if they only meant guns?

Or is your interpretation that they meant the standard "arms" that a militia would have carried at the time it was written so that is why you think it applies only to guns?

I didn't say anything of the kind. You might try actually reading my posts before responding. An absolute minimum requirement of debate is to be able to accurately state your opponents position, so pay attention now. I said that (1) it was the clear intention of the 2nd Amendment to permit at least guns, (2) there is no mention that only weapons for hunting are being described, (3) they didn't get very specific about larger weapons because most larger weapons hadn't been invented yet, and (4) I am under no obligatation whatever to clarify the issue of more powerful arms to be able to assert the above three points.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:47 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
An absolute minimum requirement of debate is to be able to accurately state your opponents position, so pay attention now. I said that (1) it was the clear intention of the 2nd Amendment to permit at least guns, (2) there is no mention that only weapons for hunting are being described, (3) they didn't get very specific about larger weapons because most larger weapons hadn't been invented yet, and (4) I am under no obligatation whatever to clarify the issue of more powerful arms to be able to assert the above three points.

Okay, just because even you didn't seem to have read your own post:

http://i28.tinypic.com/34t1vuo.jpg

And then, I suggest that you read a bit about the history of weapons
(But I admit, today the idea of the Mysorean Rocket artillery and Congreve Rockets looks a bit .... historic.)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:58 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
An absolute minimum requirement of debate is to be able to accurately state your opponents position, so pay attention now. I said that (1) it was the clear intention of the 2nd Amendment to permit at least guns, (2) there is no mention that only weapons for hunting are being described, (3) they didn't get very specific about larger weapons because most larger weapons hadn't been invented yet, and (4) I am under no obligatation whatever to clarify the issue of more powerful arms to be able to assert the above three points.

Okay, just because even you didn't seem to have read your own post:

http://i28.tinypic.com/34t1vuo.jpg

(But I admit, today the idea of the Mysorean Rocket artillery and Congreve Rockets looks a bit .... historic.)

Maybe I was referring to all of my posts collectively, including:

Brandon9000 wrote:
This sort of weapon didn't exist when the Constitution was written, and, therefore, there is no clarification about them. There is no basis whatever for suggesting that the purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to protect Americans' right to hunt. It says that the government may not infringe upon the peoples' right to posess weapons, and one must assume that that's what it means. At the time of its writing, arms pretty much just meant guns. As to whether the Founders would have wanted larger weapons to be allowed is hard to say, because the issue didn't much exist when the document was written, but it is clear that they wanted possession of guns to be a protected right. The Bill of Rights in general limits the power of government to control citizens, and this amendment is likely in the same spirit.

Like most of the board liberals, you'll do anything to distract from discussion of the underlying topic. If you disagree with me, why not actually address the subject I'm making assertions about? I assert again that it is the clear intention of the 2nd amendment to permit gun ownership, that there is nothing in it to suggest that it was intended to refer only to weapons and ammunitions suitable for hunting, and that there are many reasons to believe that one of the intentions of the first 10 amendments was to limit the power of the federal government.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:07 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

Maybe I was referring to all of my posts collectively, ...

I was just pointing at something which you mentioned in your response as being an "absolute minimum requirement of debate".
And you were clearly referring to that post - at least, it looks like such on my monitor.

Obviously, you don't like to follow your own ideas.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Like most of the board liberals, you'll do anything to distract from discussion of the underlying topic.

If you disagree with me, why not actually address the subject I'm making assertions about?

I'm no Liberal, neither the way you Americans name them nor like it's done generally.

But I did name two larger weapons from long before and around 1800 ...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:43 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Maybe I was referring to all of my posts collectively, ...

I was just pointing at something which you mentioned in your response as being an "absolute minimum requirement of debate".
And you were clearly referring to that post - at least, it looks like such on my monitor.

Obviously, you don't like to follow your own ideas.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Like most of the board liberals, you'll do anything to distract from discussion of the underlying topic.

If you disagree with me, why not actually address the subject I'm making assertions about?

I'm no Liberal, neither the way you Americans name them nor like it's done generally.

But I did name two larger weapons from long before and around 1800 ...

I could say that they had fewer large, powerful weapons such as missiles, but that would detract from my point, which is to suggest that you might want to consider actually addressing the subject, specifically, my assertions about the 2nd amendment, rather than trying to avoid actual debate by invalidating my posts based on technical issues.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 09:18 am
oralloy wrote:

The fact that we don't have the right to have it doesn't mean I can't protest if I think it is being banned.

I don't have the right to eat pizza, but I'd be up in arms if the government went and banned pizza.

Of course if you tried to say pizza can't be banned because it was protected by the 2nd amendment, everyone would think you were an idiot.

It seems you are now saying that hunting guns are not protected by the 2nd amendment. Am I understanding you correctly?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 05:25 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Here is how the Founding Fathers set up the first militia under the Constitution:

http://gunshowonthenet.com/2ALEGAL/Precedent/UniformMilitia1790.html

It looks to me like artillery was provided/owned by the government, but infantry and cavalry provided/owned their own stuff.

This may represent a boundary between individual weapons and crew-served weapons. Regardless, it should provide a good pointer as to what they considered a sort of weapon covered by the Second Amendment, and what kind they didn't.

Also, the purpose of the militia is to enforce the law, repel invasion, and suppress insurrection. If a weapon is not likely to help the militia achieve that goal, it would be questionable if it would be included under the right to have militia weapons.
0 Replies