Obama Pummelled in Debate?

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:01 pm
That is what Chuck Todd of MSNBC is saying, we don't get the debate until 8pm PDT, tell me it ain't so!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,424 • Replies: 152
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:03 pm
Hillary scored points for sure. I'm not sure how she could gain any ground (Super Delegates change of vote issue), but if it's possible..perhaps she did do that tonight.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:15 pm
Obama, is he the black guy?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:20 pm
I think so Dys Laughing
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:22 pm
So was this debate number 53 or 54? How many times did Obama say the word "change" ? How many times did Hillary say the word "experience"? That's how I tally the score at this point.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:30 pm
I wouldn't mind seeing either one of them win, so I'm just waiting to see who the hell it is.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:57 pm
This really sucks watching the post-debate analysis before I get to watch the debate. No wonder ABC put on a tabloid debate when they treat it like it's a sitcom.

Hillary apparently has the same imperial presidency view as Bush in her mass retaliation remark.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:59 pm
If her views are anywhere up there with Bush, I'm with Obama!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 09:37 pm
Cogitamus:

Chuck Todd [url=http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/16/905215.aspx][b]leads off the punditocracy[/b][/url] post-game by proclaiming it "not a good debate for Obama", based on the fact that the first forty minutes involved him answering uncomfortable questions. But, people liked his responses! If Todd had bothered to follow the instant dials he would have noticed that every time Barack Obama pointed out that these gotcha questions distract from issues like education and health care and energy policy and getting out of Iraq, [url=http://www.cogitamusblog.com/2008/04/instant-dial.html][b]his ratings soared[/b][/url]. Most people get very little exposure to Presidential candidates, the debates are their primary opportunity to see them, and they would prefer not to have their time wasted on bulls*** like this.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 09:45 pm
There is an awful lot of anger over ABC as it turns out.

Forty minutes in (I am watching now) not a question yet about an issue. This is a joke.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:22 pm
Reaction

Late Nite Wednesday: Kick. Joe. Out. ยป
Sweet Jesus, I Hate Charlie Gibson Democratic Debate Wrap-Up
By: Eli Wednesday April 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Well, that was really, really horrible. Charlie Gibson and Mr. Snuffalupagus fed Clinton and Obama nothing but gotcha questions. Torture never came up, China never came up, unchecked executive power never came up, and it was 50+ minutes in before they asked any questions that could be considered remotely substantive or issues-based.

Bittergate was the second question, after a nonsensical waste of time about whether each candidate would pledge to be the winner's running mate. I think Obama answered the Bittergate question fairly well, saying that people have taken refuge in tradition as the government has abandoned them. Hillary gleefully jumped all over it, and basically implied that Obama was insulting her working class family.

The first actual issues question was a couple-in-the-street question along the lines of, "Will you Democrats really get the troops out of Iraq, or are you just big fat liars?" (Both candidates: Yes to the first part.) Snuffy also asked what they would do about Iran trying to acquire nuclear weapons, a dodgy premise that both candidates willingly went along with.

One of the most telling sequences for me was when ABC aired a video question from some woman asking Obama if he believes in the American flag, because he never wears an American flag pin (WTF?), and Obama called out the media for promoting "manufactured issues" at the expense of real ones. The very next question, Snuffy asked Obama a truly vile question fed to him by Sean Hannity, about Obama's supposed friendship with an ex-Weatherman terrorist, prompting Obama to point out that this was exactly what he was just talking about. It was a great "There you go again" moment, but this time directed at the media. Hillary jumped on the Weatherman bandwagon, and Obama noted that Bill actually pardoned a couple of Weathermen. Ouch.

Other highlights:

* A video clip of John McCain declaring that Democrats would Raise Your Taxes, followed by the spectacle of Charlie Gibson arguing tenaciously against increases in the capital gains tax (um, I thought the candidates were supposed to debate each other, not the moderator), insisting again and again that tax revenue goes up every time capital gains taxes go down, and vice versa. Hillary pledged not to raise taxes on the middle class, which she apparently defines as anyone making less than $200,000, and that she would not raise the capital gains tax above what it was during Bill's administration. Obama pledged to cut taxes on the middle class, and (I think) raised the threshold to $250,000. Wow. Up until tonight I thought I was doing fairly well for myself.

* Snuffy with the best question of the debate, reminding Hillary that she had said she would "use the former presidents" and asking her how she would use Dubya. Her response was something along the lines of, "Uh, let me get back to you on that." (I suck at remembering exact quotes, but I'm good at gist) Hillarious.

* Clinton and Obama each proclaiming the other to be electable, and promising that the Democrats will unify behind the nominee, whoever it may be.

Overall, the moderators were more adversarial towards the candidates than the candidates were towards each other. In fact, they managed to be even worse than Tim Russert and Brian Williams, something I would not have believed possible.

If you're wondering who won the debate (other than McCain), I think it was a wash. Neither candidate outshone the other to an extent that will affect the outcome of the primary. For me the bigger story was the appalling and irresponsible behavior of the moderators. Did they really think that Democratic primary voters are more interested in Weathermen and flag pins than they are in hearing whether their next president thinks authorizing torture is a criminal act?

ABC switchboard: 212-456-7777 (Thanks, Atrios!)

Or you can fill out their online feedback form.

Go get 'em.

UPDATE: To be fair, I should also point out that Hillary was asked about Snipergate, so it's not like Obama got all the useless timewasting gotcha questions.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:27 pm
ABC Moderators the Big Losers

Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Gibson, Stephanapoulos outrage!

10:00 p.m. OK, it's finally over. Frankly, the questioning was so horrendous that it's hard to determine what's supposed to be important here -- who "won" the debate. I thought they were both fairly flat and uninspiring; Obama is clearly the frontrunner and was playing defense, and in that sense it was fine for him. I would have like to seen him get more impassioned, turn the tables on his questioners -- but that's always a risk, and he was not in risk-taking mode. There were no "gaffes" by either candidate -- Hillary was a little stronger on policy, as she often is, but I think a lot of Democratic voters cringed when she signed onto some of the tackier attack questions on Obama. The big loser, of course, was ABC, and perhaps the American people -- but I think the American people are too smart for baloney. Stay tuned, because I'm hoping to do a more cohesive follow-up on the ABC debacle.

9:55 p.m. I was hoping it was over, but Jake Tapper "had a very interesting vantage point...across the street at Independence Hall." What does he have X-ray vision or something? What's so interesting about that?

Well, I'd love to know more about the crowd hooting Charlie Gibson there..."Woo, there're turning on me." People were shouting something. I don't know if they were arguing the substance, or hooting another commercial break. The audience is applauding itself Well, some applause for ABC -- probably crew members.

9:52 p.m. Just like that annoying girl in the phone ad, I'm going to tell ABC News "everything I've been holding back...this is going to be fun..."

9:46 p.m. Sign me up.

9:43 p.m. I do like that Staples' ink and toner commercial. That's probably the first real laugh I've had all night.

9:41 p.m. What a great night -- Phillies lose, 76ers lose, America loses.

Gibson promises one last question -- I shudder to think. He's probably using his lifeline to call Glenn Back at home to come up with something.

9: 37 p.m. Finally gas prices, the issue many voters are most worked up about, and Gibson is like, "You can each have 1 minute!!!" There was no 1-minute limit on Obama's "hatred of America."

9:33 p.m. Hmmm, guess this thing goes until 10, or we're in stoppage time like in soccer. Clinton favors "affiirmative action generally" -- which I guess means that every single person should get an advantage. Seriously, I'm glad to see Clinton steer this question to the cost of college, which is probably the No. 1 issue in most households with children under 18.

9:29 p.m.: They're both good on guns -- sounds like Hillary is giving her Philadelphia gun message and not her Elk County gun message. I love it when they say, "You know, George.." because you know that means they're stalling for time.

9:23 p.m. Well, I guess we're just about out of time for any real issues other than Chafrlie Gibson's stock options. This reminds me of one of my favorite Monty Python sketches, Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson..."Nobody after asks about my music, all they ask about is the sheds!"

Mention of the Philly murder rate...a real issue.

9:20 p.m. My friend Dan McQuade calls this the lowest moment in American history -- I think he's giving it too much credit, frankly.

9:12 p.m.: Charlie Gibson is really passionate about this capital gains thing, isn't he. There's 17 minutes left -- plenty of time to ask about health care, prescription drugs, urban policy, record high gas prices, the bailout of Bear Stearns, climate change, infrastructure, human rights in China.

Oh wait, COMMERCIAL!!!!!

9:09 p.m. Millionaire Charlie Gibson seems angry that Obama wants to raise the capital gains tax...I can't imagine why.

9:05 p.m.: Hillary also keeps trying to drive traffic to her Web site. I can sympathize...

9:04 p.m.: Hillary thinks that John McCain is a funny guy. Do you think she's rather see him win than Obama? I do/

8:59 p.m.: Iran -- Obama will do anything from talking to Iran to bombing, them, apparently. I don't understand why the emphasis of the questioning here is so much through the prism of Israel -- that's just one part of an equation that also includes our troops in two neighboring countries, oil, etc. Hillary needs how to learn to better pronounce "Ahmadinejad."

8:56 p.m. Policy! Trying to take a deep breath and calm down. Hillary giving a good answer on Iraq, stating the obvious that the damage of leaving can't be greater than the damage of staying. Obama good here, too: "The president sets the mission, Charlie, not the generals."

8:52 p.m.: Apparently in their combing of the Constitution, ABC forgot to read the part about the obligations of a free press.

8:50 p.m. Kudos to Blinq's Dan Rubin, who's already written about his outrage!

8:41 p.m.: This is exactly what the liberal blogs were talking about! This question about William Ayers (sp?) of the Weather Underground, now a Chicago professor and acquaintance of Obama, was planted by Sean Hannity in a conversation he had with Stephanapolous. By the way, for what it's worth, viewers probably don't realize that the letter that they're talking about was published on the morning of 9/11/01, i.e., before the attacks. I'm sure the average viewer doesn't get it. The average viewer is just getting that Obama must be some kind of America hater who hangs out with terrorists.

This is disgusting.

8:38 p.m. Oh My God! "Senator Obama, why do you hate America?" Actually, it was about the flag, but apparently Rush Limbaugh, even though he was fired by ESPN, is apparently still on the Disney payroll in some capacity.

8:33 p.m.: Hah! The Bosnia question -- told you so. You know, I said I was dreading ABC's performance, but this is 10 times worse than I expected it to be. I am outraged, practically shaking, that the debate is almost half over and no issues have been discussed. Now, that said, she's got to get off this "sleep deprived" kick for a speech that she gave at 9 a.m....jeez.

I think either Obama or Clinton could score HUGE points here by going after the questioning. Obama is sort of doing that now, that we should not be so "obsessed" with gaffes, that thuis "is a defining moment" in American history. Yup.

8:30 p.m.: There was a lot of chatter today in the liberal blogosphere that Stephanapolous was getting his questions/talking points from right-wing talk radio. After watching him hector Obama on the "patriotism" issue -- I have to believe there's something to it.

8:27 p.m. Obama using Clinton's former pastor to defend his former pastor. I guess that's how we'll pick the next president, who has the best former pastor. Obama says, correctly, "if it's not this, then it's something else." I think he's right.

8:23 p.m.: Now, the Wright question -- how predictable this all is. When is Charlie Gibson going to ask about, oh, I don't know, Iraq, or maybe the economy, or gas prices. People are paying triple digits to fill their tanks, and we keep talking and talking about this. That's what makes people bitter.

I'll be shocked if the next question isn't "the Bosnia question ."

8:19 p.m. Obama -- I'm pro-faith. I think he's playing defense here, although he think he also strikes a chord with voters who are tired of politics being all about who makes the bigger "gaffe." And a deft way of bringing up Hillary's 1992 "baking cookies" remark, not as dig but as an example.

8:17 p.m. This is the "debate" Hillary that we've seen before -- firing all her guns at McCain and the GOP, saying positive things about Obama. That probably means there's a new barrage of attack ads in the can.

8:12 p.m.: The bitter question. The "mangled" answer. Obama says of religion -- people say "this is a place where I can find some refuge." I think don't think he's helping himself with that. Religion is what it is -- for the majority of people, it has little and often nothing to do with politics. I think Obama is playing with fire to keep mixing those two things. Hillary is now calling this "a fundamental misundestanding of the role of faith." I think she's onto something -- if you read the story of how Obama joined Rev. Wright's church in the first place, the political stance of the church was a motivating factor. I don't think he realizes that's just not the case for a lot of folks.

8:10 p.m.: Good answer here from Hillary, that who cares about running mate, that she'll do "whatever it takes" to beat McCain in November.

8:08 p.m.: Ugh, the running mate question already? Hasn't that been asked, and non-answered, a million times. At this point, they'd as likely take Ron Paul as their running mate as each other.

8:07 p.m.: In case you didn't know -- the president serves a 4-year term. Thanks, ABC.

8:03 p.m.: "Frustrated" -- it's the new "bitter." Interesting gambit by Obama. I think he realized that peole are mad. and he's not backing away from "bitter," just repurposing it. Clinton says there's "unrest," just apparently not bitterness. ABC's not bitter, either -- they're going to rake in some commercial bucks just 6 minutes into this thing.

8:01 p.m. Did anybody else think the opening montage, with the dueling accusations, reminded them of the "Monday Night Football" opening. I kept waiting for Obama and Clinton's heads to collide like helmets and explode.

7:59 p.m.: Barack Obama just told me to turn off the TV. I should have listened -- next came another Rob McCord commercial.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:40 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
There is an awful lot of anger over ABC as it turns out.

Forty minutes in (I am watching now) not a question yet about an issue. This is a joke.

Thats what all the Democrat debates have been, jokes, roxi. Honestly, they have all been very light on specifics, and strong on who is more experienced, I am better than you, blah blah blah, change, change, experience, change, what else?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:19 am
From Atrios

Surveying the Nets

Reading around in various places on the internets it seems like conventional wisdom that Obama came across poorly in the debate and conventional wisdom among many (purported) Clinton supporters that complaints about the debate itself are largely due to Obama supporters being mad that their guy got roughed up.

Personally, while it would've been impossible for either candidate to look good while Charlie and George were gang raping democracy, I don't think Obama came off particularly badly. In the first half, which was supposed to be tough on him, I thought Clinton looked pretty uncomfortable with where her campaign had taken us. She was probably better in the second half. And while the bulk of the bullshit was thrown at him, I was just annoyed at the bullshit. There are genuine nonpersonality differences between these candidates which moderators who had any idea what they were talking about could have elicited. But when Charlie Gibson is a Laffer loving wingnut whose heart bleeds for the capital gains earnings of $200,000+ earners, and Snuffleupagus is a Sean Hannity sock puppet, that's not the debate we're going to get.

-Atrios 08:13

Meanwhile

Quote:
BAGHDAD - A suicide bomber detonated his explosives vest at a funeral in northern Iraq, killing at least 49 people, police said.

The bomber struck the funeral for two Sunni Arab brothers who had been fighting Al Qaeda in Iraq, police said. Fifty people were wounded in the attack which occured in Adhaim, an area on the edge of Diyala province north of Baghdad.

-Atrios 07:33

Comments (118) Trackback (0)

It Wasn't Just A Nightmare

Shales:

Quote:
At the end, Gibson pompously thanked the candidates -- or was he really patting himself on the back? -- for "what I think has been a fascinating debate." He's entitled to his opinion, but the most fascinating aspect was waiting to see how low he and Stephanopoulos would go, and then being appalled at the answer.

-Atrios 06:51
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:24 am
I watched about 10 minutes of it then...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/hkmp5a2/upchucker.gif
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:25 am
I'm still getting caught up. Watched the first half hour (turned it off because I'd promised to only watch 15 minutes and was getting into yelling-at-the-TV mode).

Moderation was incredibly sucky.

I did like how Obama brought up the "baking cookies" line and how he thought at the time, now, that's not what she meant. It seemed to sink in just a bit (I was watching her) and I think it was a good point, well made.

Sounds like mixed reviews on the rest...?

Interesting para from nimh, there re what viewers though. I think "bitter" has shown us that the media might not have their finger on the pulse of voters nearly as much as they think they do...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:32 am
dyslexia wrote:
Obama, is he the black guy?

no he's the white guy with some black relatives...
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:32 am
Mixed Reviews, ABC News is the one being pummeled this morning

From Huffpo:

Quote:
Jason Linkins: Worst. Debate. Ever.... Questions On Bitterness, Wright, Bosnia, Flag Pins, Weather Underground... Greg Mitchell: "A Shameful Night For The US Media" ... Josh Marshall: "Unmitigated Travesty"... Did Hannity Feed Debate Question To ABC?... ABC Hosts Heckled After Debate...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:34 am
cjhsa wrote:
I watched about 10 minutes of it then...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/hkmp5a2/upchucker.gif[

quote]

I always suspected cj was actually an asian female...but really, that porn is in bad taste.

www.cjhsaandacup.com
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:37 am
No Whining About the Media
By David Brooks

Quote:
Three quick points on the Democratic debate tonight:
First, Democrats, and especially Obama supporters, are going to jump all over ABC for the choice of topics: too many gaffe questions, not enough policy questions.
I understand the complaints, but I thought the questions were excellent. The journalist's job is to make politicians uncomfortable, to explore evasions, contradictions and vulnerabilities. Almost every question tonight did that. The candidates each looked foolish at times, but that's their own fault.
We may not like it, but issues like Jeremiah Wright, flag lapels and the Tuzla airport will be important in the fall. Remember how George H.W. Bush toured flag factories to expose Michael Dukakis. It's legitimate to see how the candidates will respond to these sorts of symbolic issues.
The middle section of the debate, meanwhile, was stupendous. Those could be the most important 30 minutes of this entire campaign, for reasons I will explain in point two:
Second, Obama and Clinton were completely irresponsible. As the first President Bush discovered, it is simply irresponsible statesmanship (and stupid politics) to make blanket pledges to win votes. Both candidates did that on vital issues.
Both promised to not raise taxes on those making less than $200,000 or $250,000 a year. They both just emasculated their domestic programs. Returning the rich to their Clinton-era tax rates will yield, at best, $40 billion a year in revenue. It's impossible to fund a health care plan, let alone anything else, with that kind of money. The consequences are clear: if elected they will have to break their pledge, and thus destroy their credibility, or run a minimalist administration.
The second pledge was just as bad. Nobody knows what the situation in Iraq will be like. To pledge an automatic withdrawal is just insane. A mature politician would've been honest and said: I fully intend to withdraw, but I want to know what the reality is at that moment.
The third point concerns electability. The Democrats have a problem. All the signs point to a big Democratic year, and I still wouldn't bet against Obama winning the White House, but his background as a Hyde Park liberal is going to continue to dog him. No issue is crushing on its own, but it all adds up. For the life of me I can't figure out why he didn't have better answers on Wright and on the "bitter" comments. The superdelegates cannot have been comforted by his performance.
Final grades:
ABC: A
Clinton: B
Obama: D+
0 Replies