The Wright thing - how much effect will it have on Obama 08?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 02:54 pm
PS Candidone.... roxxanne has the right to define me anyway it wishes to.

As for me and the Compact Oxford English Dictionary, we would describe Roxxanne as "an unpleasant or stupid person"

feel free to cross reference. God Bless america.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 03:00 pm
Or it's all about kooks, and the judgment shown by someone who would have such a kook as a mentor.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 03:33 pm
Rev. Wright diagnosed America's disease. In the same way John Dean once warned of a cancer growing on the Presidency. It could have and may still lead to healing. But Obama's speech seems to have been a great relief to American mainstream media. Their role in lying us into war in Iraq is greater than Bushies. Their role in covering up CIA drug running and drug money laundering by America's major banks, their covering for Israeli atrocities in Gaza, their failure to discuss the failures of the 911 Commission and the desire of over 70 million American voters for new 911 investigations, these are the reasons Wright is being castigated. Alas the lie can live on at his expense. America can mass murder and still pretend we are the moral force on earth. Wright very much is like the Old Testament Jeremiah who told it like it was and was scorned. The truth hurts the oppressor but can also set the victims free. That's what the corporate fascist mainstream American media will do anything to keep from happening. Henry Kissinger once said "Military men are just dumb stupid animals, to be used as pawns in foreign policy." Rev. Wright wants America to understand that mindset not out of hatred but out of love and the desire for healing change. Yet he is crucified while Kissinger is the leading authority/spokesman for foreign policy on the networks. God damn that. God bless the good Rev. Wright.
<<Isaiah>>
New American Standard Bible ©
The Suffering Servant
1 Who has believed our message? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
2 For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, And like a root out of parched ground; He has no stately form or majesty That we should look upon Him, Nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him.
3 He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.
4 Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted.
5 But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed.
6 All of us like sheep have gone astray, Each of us has turned to his own way; But the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all To fall on Him.
7 He was oppressed and He was afflicted, Yet He did not open His mouth; Like a lamb that is led to slaughter, And like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, So He did not open His mouth.
8 By oppression and judgment He was taken away; And as for His generation, who considered That He was cut off out of the land of the living For the transgression of my people, to whom the stroke was due?
9 His grave was assigned with wicked men, Yet He was with a rich man in His death, Because He had done no violence, Nor was there any deceit in His mouth.
10 But the LORD was pleased To crush Him, putting Him to grief; If He would render Himself as a guilt offering, He will see His offspring, He will prolong His days, And the good pleasure of the LORD will prosper in His hand.
11 As a result of the anguish of His soul, He will see it and be satisfied; By His knowledge the Righteous One, My Servant, will justify the many, As He will bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore, I will allot Him a portion with the great, And He will divide the booty with the strong; Because He poured out Himself to death, And was numbered with the transgressors; Yet He Himself bore the sin of many, And interceded for the transgressors.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 09:22 pm
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
and it's not about race. it transcends race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAYe7MT5BxM

Wow. Over a half-million views and over 10,000 comments. That video was just added a few days ago. Wonder if that's a some kind of record for youtube.

If it was, it's well and easily beaten now.

The Obama campaign's YouTube video of Obama's speech on race has been up 1 day.

It's got 1,616,104 views. 1,6 million.

3,936 comments; favorited 8,162 times. In one day.

That's just the official version of the video. Other random YouTubers also posted the video. This one alone has 156,699 views.

Right now, in the top 10 of most viewed videos, there's three copies of the Obama speech.

This item in the Nation adds that YouTube only counts visitors who watch an entire video, so hundreds of thousands of additional visitors probably watched part of the 37-minute address.

And over at MSNBC.com, it notes, an excerpt of Obama's speech was also the most popular clip, drawing over 360,000 views.

All in all, the video must have been seen about 2,5 million times, at least, in 1 day.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 09:56 pm
Listening to NPR today, the international response to the video was 100% positive. 100%. I've never heard that on a show on any issue.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 10:01 pm
I watched the you tube one just after butrflynet gave the link here, and hers might have been the only one when she linked it, not sure of course. I think there were something like 1600 views at the time.

Anyway, I think it's the major speech of my lifetime, a lifetime with some serious speeches.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 12:11 am
wow, osso - that's saying alot
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 01:20 am
Not a lot to me, it is like someone is finally just talking straight. Air, air, air.

I can work up a quibble or two but I won't. Major speech.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 08:34 am
ossobuco wrote:
I watched the you tube one just after butrflynet gave the link here, and hers might have been the only one when she linked it, not sure of course. I think there were something like 1600 views at the time.

Anyway, I think it's the major speech of my lifetime, a lifetime with some serious speeches.

I don't think I've heard a better speech as well. I cannot recall another that comes close actually. And he wrote it himself.

How utterly depressing it will be if it turns out that America has become so paltry and childlike in intellect and in morality that it cannot be sufficiently lifted to match its challenges.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:49 am
nimh wrote:
]This item[/URL] in the Nation adds that YouTube only counts visitors who watch an entire video, so hundreds of thousands of additional visitors probably watched part of the 37-minute address.

Interesting. I've never been able to watch a Wright video to the end, also mute the sound if they're being shown on the TV news channel and I'd think others do as well.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:54 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Listening to NPR today, the international response to the video was 100% positive.

Shows you just how many A-holes are out there. Cool
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:26 am
Oh that's been proven long ago - when they voted Bush in twice.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 09:20 am
Quote:
Oh that's been proven long ago - when they voted Bush in twice.

Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:14 am
Obama's at 50-42 in Gallup and 48-42 in Rasmussen daily tracking polls.

It would seem that, at least in the short-run, the Wright incident has not really slowed his momentum.

Exactly as predicted, I might add.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:27 am
The Wright bullshit may hurt Obama a bit in the general as the racists like those here who are foaming at the mouth and tryng to demonize Wright may actually be fearful enough of "the black man" to actually vote rather than just stay home. OTOH the attempted swift-boating of Obama will anger Democrats too.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:35 am
Great, make Obama your nominee. I'm sure he'll come with more baggage than his long association with a racially bigoted church and pastor. It will be interesting to see if his campaign continues to foster the idea that Obama is a "post-racial" candidate who will bind up and heal the racial divisions in this country. I suppose he might start with Teenb, Roxxann, and the Cyclops.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:40 am
Asherman wrote:
Great, make Obama your nominee. I'm sure he'll come with more baggage than his long association with a racially bigoted church and pastor. It will be interesting to see if his campaign continues to foster the idea that Obama is a "post-racial" candidate who will bind up and heal the racial divisions in this country. I suppose he might start with Teenb, Roxxann, and the Cyclops.

He's going to kick McCain's teeth right in, Ash. Right out of his ancient head.

You just don't understand the hole your side is in - money, enthusiasm, angst over Bush's policies. But you will. And McCain does not have the ability to climb out of it. In your heart, you know this. But your head will know it soon enough.

Obama's campaign never fostered any of the 'post-racial' ideas that you are talking about. Never. All he did was run for president, and other people made their pronouncements.

I submit that elderly Republicans are not the authorities on what should be done towards race relations in America, and in fact, are amongst those who most definitely should not be consulted on it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:43 am
Asherman wrote:

Only white bigots who wouldn't have voted for Obama anyway are concerned about Obama's association with TUCC, a mainstream black church (actually TUCC has been said to be the church for black yuppies) and the highly respected Jeremiah Wright.

Trying to demonize Wright and the Church hasn't worked. Where the f*** have you been?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:46 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I can't wait. McCain's gaffes won't be ignored when the race is head to head and even with the free pass the best Mcain can do is a virtual tie with Obama. November 2008 is going to be a tough time to be a Republican. It won't be pretty.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:59 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Asherman wrote:

You just don't understand the hole your side is in - money, enthusiasm, angst over Bush's policies. But you will. And McCain does not have the ability to climb out of it. In your heart, you know this. But your head will know it soon enough.

Obama's campaign never fostered any of the 'post-racial' ideas that you are talking about. Never. All he did was run for president, and other people made their pronouncements.

I submit that elderly Republicans are not the authorities on what should be done towards race relations in America, and in fact, are amongst those who most definitely should not be consulted on it.

Cycloptichorn

A-freakin-men to that, bro.
0 Replies