The Wright thing - how much effect will it have on Obama 08?

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 07:22 pm
sozobe wrote:
As in, the timeline was:

- Wright was invited to give convocation at Obama's announcement that he was running for president (January 2007)

- Rolling Stone article came out, about Wright and his more out-there stuff and Obama's relationship to him (February 22nd issue which seems to have been published February 7th, 2007)

- Obama disinvites Wright, citing the Rolling Stone article, and makes the "rough" comment (as per Wright, anyway) (shortly before Feb 10th, 2007)

Hm. Still sceptical. The more plausible interpretation of that timeline to me is that he long knew about Wright's more uncommon remarks (I mean, he went to his Church for 20 years and considered Wright an inspiration), but that the Rolling Stone article prompted him to quickly put a lid on the relationship.

I mean, those were very early days, he probably just hadnt gotten (himself) round to bring Wright the bad news that he'd have to distance himself from him, and it looks like the RS article then fast-tracked the decision. Anyway, that seems a more plausible interpretation to me then that he just didnt know about it all until the article came out.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 07:25 pm
sozobe wrote:
It gets less plausible the more statements there are, though. (I haven't actually seen the video -- how many?)

When ABC broke the story Thursday morning they reported there were dozens of videos available for sale by the church. I think Brian Ross, who was the investigative reporter for ABC, said they purchased 13 videos and found many examples of controversial statements in each one.

I'm sure FoxNews and CNN (who also reported on the story over the weekend) also purchased a sampling of the videos from the church, and unfortunate as it is, will be subjecting their viewers to more and more of this as time goes by.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 07:28 pm
Re: The Wright thing - how much effect will it have on Obama
engineer wrote:
We're all used to hyperbole about those around politicians. Remember the "Clinton is a serial rapist" stuff from sixteen years ago? Those who already don't favor Obama will claim this is a big deal. Those who favor him will ignore it. Those on the fence will have an excuse if they were already leaning away from him. In the end, it will matter for naught.

I hope you're right, Engineer.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 07:48 pm
I have no idea the impact it will have on Obama's career, but after a bit of reading, I have to agree with soz and nimh (for starters) that Barack MUST have been aware of this guy, and this makes you wonder why he still attended that church. I mean, he did say that a couple of comments were okay (not that I agree with that), but that had it been ongoing, he wouldn't have felt comfortable there.

After 20 years, this guy is now suddenly making Obama uncomfortable enough to uninvite him to give a speech? Come on.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 07:49 pm
I think it all comes down to whether you are willing to believe that Obama shares his pastor's views. It's guilt by association, no matter how you slice it. I haven't heard anyone yet actually make the case that it's likely that Obama does share his views. Of course, catching him in a lie or forcing him to disown his pastor is a nice diversion.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 08:20 pm
Obama would have a greater chance at creating meaningful change if he did understand the truth of what Rev. Wright says. America cant go on living the lies we live forever. One example is what Wright says about drugs. The CIA has admitted complicity in running crack into inner city neighborhoods during Iran/Contra. Sen. Kerry took plenty of testimony in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee from pilots who say they flew drugs into America for Col. North. But the history of government involvement in drug running goes way back and is well documented. And Sen. Levin has found heavy involvement in drug money laundering by the biggest banks in America. Meanwhile our prisons are filled with mostly minority "criminals" guilty of non-violent, small time drug crimes. Sounds kinda like a pogrom to me. America fights a phony war on drugs at the same time that drug running and money laundering play a large role in our economy. Understanding the truth of what Wright says about drugs would be the only real first step to ending the lie and forming saner drug policies. I think Obama does understand but the nature of politics and hypocrisy of America is such that it would be political suicide to be open and honest about it. And so the lie lives on. The CIA supports drug running "freedom fighters". The banks make easy profits off money laundering and poor victim customers of the operation end up in jail removed from voting roles. What a scam. And Reverend Wright put it all in perspective for us. Very admirable of him.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 08:22 pm
Why would you attend anything where you found the views repugnant? The fact that he went there for 20 years tells me he tolerated it at the very best. That Reverend is not my cup of tea, just by the way he says things, never mind what he says. Personally, I would have changed churches. So if didn't agree, why was he still going? Why tolerate it? And if he tolerated it, that's fine, but why distance himself from his 20-year Reverend NOW?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 08:22 pm
Why would you attend anything where you found the views repugnant? The fact that he went there for 20 years tells me he tolerated it at the very least. That Reverend is not my cup of tea, just by the way he says things, never mind what he says. Personally, I would have changed churches. So if didn't agree, why was he still going? Why tolerate it? And if he tolerated it, that's fine, but why distance himself from his 20-year Reverend NOW?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 08:34 pm
Mame wrote:
So if didn't agree, why was he still going? Why tolerate it?

I'm not a Christian so maybe I dont get the idea, but I'd say probably because he really disagreed with some of the stuff Wright was saying, but really agreed with some of the other stuff, and overall found it to be interesting. Sort of like going to A2K. :wink:

Plus, of course, if that was the church where a lot of interesting and kind people went and there were many links with the community in which he worked, that alone can be reason enough to go to a specific church - even if you wouldnt agree with the pastor.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 08:36 pm
This seems a propos for the topic of the thread:

Quote:
The Paradox of Electability

Political journalists, being journalists, tend to focus on campaign happenings and controversies as a key determinant of election outcomes. Research, however, indicates that most people vote as dogmatic partisans and that most of the election-to-election variance can be explained by macroeconomic trends. Some elections, obviously, are very close and thus "the campaign" turns out to have been a decisive figure, but even in these cases a very close election like the 2000 election featured so many "important" campaign factors (Bush's coverup of his DUI citation, Gore sighing in the debate, Bush not knowing the names of foreign leaders, the press insisting that Gore claimed to have invented the internet, etc.) that it's hard to believe that any one of them was actually all that important.

Primary campaign voters, by contrast, are more fickle because there's much less underlying difference between the contenders. And one thing primary voters look at is electability, and another thing they look at is elite support and elites look a lot at electability. Voters and elites alike, meanwhile, like reporters, tend to wildly overestimate the importance of contingent campaign happenstance on election outcomes. Consequently, a primary season campaign gaffe that's seen as potentially harmful during the general election is arguably more likely to hurt you in the primary because of the perception that it'll hurt you in the general than it is to actually hurt you in the general election.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:07 pm
nimh wrote:
Mame wrote:
So if didn't agree, why was he still going? Why tolerate it?

I'm not a Christian so maybe I dont get the idea, but I'd say probably because he really disagreed with some of the stuff Wright was saying, but really agreed with some of the other stuff, and overall found it to be interesting. Sort of like going to A2K. :wink:

Plus, of course, if that was the church where a lot of interesting and kind people went and there were many links with the community in which he worked, that alone can be reason enough to go to a specific church - even if you wouldnt agree with the pastor.

I'm only going as far as 'perhaps, could be' on that one :wink:
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:38 pm
I've been contemplating why I'm more disturbed by James Hagee's diatribes (which McCain rather weakly rejected) than by Wright's (which Obama strongly condemned). I think it comes down to this: Wright sounds to me like a black man who is expressing anger and frustration at the continuing racism in this country. Sure, he may have used intemperate, even extreme language, and I wouldn't say that I agree with everything he said (the AIDS thing is just nutty), but on the issue of racism I think he has a legitimate gripe. Hagee, on the other hand, is talking about fomenting war with Iran so that the Chinese, Russians, and Americans will fight an apocalyptic battle over the fate of Israel in the Middle East, with the end result that the Jeez will come down and righteously smite everyone -- especially the Jews -- who hasn't already been raptured directly up to the warm embrace of a loving but nevertheless pissed-off deity. You know: end times, lakes of fire and brimstone, mark of the beast, dogs and cats sleeping together -- mass hysteria. In short, I think one of these guys is angry and intemperate while the other is completely batshit crazy. I'll let you figure out which is which.

More importantly, I suspect (and fear) that Hagee would have more influence on a President McCain than Wright would have on a President Obama. Republican spiritual advisors have a tendency to become political advisors, while Democrats tend to call in the clerics only when they need cover for their extra-political indiscretions. In other words, Wright would be only slightly more influential with Obama in the White House, whereas Hagee will have the ear of the man with his finger on the button and will be urging him to press it and keep pressing it until doomsday -- literally.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 11:12 pm
If anyone is interested, Andrew Sullivan has posted the full text of Jeremiah Wright's "Audacity To Hope" sermon in 1990.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 12:35 am
joefromchicago wrote:
've been contemplating why I'm more disturbed by James Hagee's diatribes ...

Is "James" a form of "John"?

Quote:
I think it comes down to this: Wright sounds to me like a black man who is expressing anger and frustration at the continuing racism in this country. Sure, he may have used intemperate, even extreme language, and I wouldn't say that I agree with everything he said (the AIDS thing is just nutty), but on the issue of racism I think he has a legitimate gripe.

Yes, the continual repeating of the phrase, "God damn America!", is obviously just a black man expressing his anger and frustration. Re 9/11: "America's chickens are coming home to roost" -- yep, just racial frustration.

Quote:
In short, I think one of these guys is angry and intemperate while the other is completely batshit crazy. I'll let you figure out which is which.

Ah, yes ... I'm sure only one of these two religious figures actually believes the New Testament. The other one is just in the racket so he can spew his racist agenda.

Quote:
More importantly, I suspect (and fear) that Hagee would have more influence on a President McCain than Wright would have on a President Obama.

And that suspicion and fear is based on what? Some bizarre notion in your head that "Republican spiritual advisors have a tendency to become political advisors, while Democrats tend to call in the clerics only when they need cover for their extra-political indiscretions." That's ridiculous, and on par with something I'd expect to hear from the likes of Roxxxxanne..

What is the connection between Hagee and McCain? Hagee endorsed McCain, and McCain accepted the endorsement. That's it ... there is no relationship between the two.

What is the connection between Wright and Obama? Let's see ... a 20 year relationship ... Wright is the pastor of Obama's church. Wright married Obama and his wife, and baptized their children. Obama considers Wright to be "a spiritual mentor and a role model." Obama has said that rather than advising him on strategy, Wright helps keep his priorities straight and his moral compass calibrated. Wright is the man who inspired the 2004 keynote speech that put Obama into the national spotlight. Apparently, Obama checks with his pastor before making any bold political moves. Wright had an honorary position on Obama's campaign.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right ... clearly Hagee will have more influence on McCain than Wright would have on Obama.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:02 am
I was about to post that Kristol evidently found someone who can in fact place Obama at a problematic sermon (the God Damn America one), but checked TPM first (among other sites, usual morning rounds) and I'm glad I did:

Marc Ambinder wrote:
Bill Kristol's New York Times column about Barack Obama this morning contains a major, prejudicial error.

Paragraph five:

But Ronald Kessler, a journalist who has written about Wright's ministry, claims that Obama was in fact in the pews at Trinity last July 22. That's when Wright blamed the "arrogance" of the "United States of White America" for much of the world's suffering, especially the oppression of blacks. In any case, given the apparent frequency of such statements in Wright's preaching and their centrality to his worldview, the pretense that over all these years Obama had no idea that Wright was saying such things is hard to sustain.

The error is in trusting the source without checking.

The truth is that Obama did not attend church on July 22.

He was on his way to campaign in Miami.

(Here is some video evidence.) This was before he signed an agreement forbidding himself from campaigning in Florida.

Here is the original, false, Newsmax story:
    Obama Attended Hate America Sermon. One of his correspondents allegedly attended a service last summer where Rev. Wright preached on the "United States of White America." Kessler writes that Obama "nodded" his head while Wright preached along these lines: Addressing the Iraq war, Wright thundered, "Young African-American men" were "dying for nothing." The "illegal war," he shouted, was "based on Bush's lies" and is being "fought for oil money."

Now, a simple Google search suggests that Obama spent most of the day in Miami. But a simple e-mail or telephone call to Obama's campaign might have cleared things up.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/03/kristol_bungles_key_fact_in_an.php

(Links in original).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:11 am
My meta take, in terms of this thread:

I've long said that part of what I like about Obama is that he connects with people in such a way that the inevitable attacks will not stick. If this does stick, then I think that aspect of his candidacy is less strong than I had hoped/ expected.

Note, I don't think this is an "attack" in the usual sense, and especially I don't mean to imply that this came from Hillary's camp. It seems to be a straight-up news story. But it's a problem that needs dealing with -- has it been dealt with in such a way that reassures voters?

There is still a question of whether Obama is the strongER candidate than Hillary -- I think that she has so far faced a fraction of what she would face in a general election, and that she's quite vulnerable on that front.

But if this does in fact stick -- if his campaign is significantly damaged after this, and this is reasonably cited as a cause of the damage -- then that puts a dent in my opinion of his abilities in a general election.

So far I tend to agree with engineer. But we'll see.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:46 am
Unfortunately it comes too late to hurt him in the primaries. However it will hopefully keep him out of the White house. He is just another in a long line of lying politicians.
" I did not know." IF he didn't he must be in another world.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 08:19 am
Obama has removed all mention of his 'mentor' from his website.

http://faith.barackobama.com/page/content/faithtestimonials
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 08:26 am
THE WRIGHT PROBLEM

Ezra Klein @ The American Prospect deals, first, like elsewhere, with the double standard involved in the Wright thing:

Quote:
MJ Rosenberg wonders:

In 2000, when Joe Lieberman ran, do you recall articles about the political views of his rabbi? [..] Lieberman is pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-feminist, all the things Orthodox rabbis tend not to be. [Yet] Joe's rabbi, whoever he is, was never an issue. Obama's is. Why is that?
Sadly, the answer is pretty simple. The hypothetical extremism of an orthodox Rabbi is similar to the extremism of Pat Robertson, or the neoconservatives. It's a normalized extremism. Fundamentally, the bloodthirsty imperialism of Normal Podhoretz is much crazier than the Libertarian/Marxist skepticism of Noam Chomsky, but Chomsky's extremism is considered out-of-bounds, while Podhoretzs extremism has an honored place in the conversation. [..] Similarly, the Biblical extremism of a rabbi or a pastor is an acceptable extremism, while the racial anger of Jeremiah Wright is disallowed.

So far, so good, although not much relevant to this thread. But the next part is:

Quote:
Wright's comments are a huge problem for Obama. They strike at the heart of his candidacy, which has been explicitly pitched as the vehicle by which we'll get beyond exactly the sort of anger and bitterness and historical memory and accurate power analysis that Wright offers. And it will be hard for Obama to distance himself from his pastor. It was Wright, after all, who contributed the title of Obama's book, The Audacity of Hope, and it is Wright who gets an admiring chapter in Obama's first book, Dreams From My Father. As Kate wrote over at the Motherblog, more and more Americans believe that Obama is a Muslim. This will be another way that Clinton, or McCain, or whoever, cement their nagging sense that Obama belongs to "the Other," and isn't one of them -- is too Muslim, or too foreign, or too post-patriotic, or simply too black.

The sense around town seems to be that the odd emergence of this old video of Wright was part of a Clinton oppo dump, and that's likely correct. But it doesn't matter. Wright is a public figure, and these sorts of things will come out. It won't even help Clinton, as the last thing the superdelegates can do is give her the nomination because she was able to paint Obama as a Scary Black Man. But it can hurt Obama nevertheless. These are the tensions his campaign has to navigate: It's not easy to remake race into a unifying force, nor a ideological internationalism into an American value. Traditionally, internationalism has been used to question patriotism, and race has been used to divide. In his speeches, Obama likes to say that "I know change isn't easy." And he's right, it's not. This won't be an easy election. And whether the force of his message will overcome the pull of our history is, for now, an open question.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 08:27 am
Ticomaya wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
've been contemplating why I'm more disturbed by James Hagee's diatribes ...

Is "James" a form of "John"?

That's odd. I wasn't sure of his first name so I Googled "James Hagee" and came up with enough results to convince me that his name was James. Looks like plenty of others made the same mistake. Or else John Hagee has an evil twin out there.

I mean an eviler twin.

Ticomaya wrote:
Yes, the continual repeating of the phrase, "God damn America!", is obviously just a black man expressing his anger and frustration. Re 9/11: "America's chickens are coming home to roost" -- yep, just racial frustration.

Well, I suppose I could just take the typical GOP approach and say that he's a traitor and that he's helping the terrorists and that he's probably hiding WMDs in his vestments. But then I'm not retarded, so I won't.

Ticomaya wrote:
Ah, yes ... I'm sure only one of these two religious figures actually believes the New Testament. The other one is just in the racket so he can spew his racist agenda.

I haven't heard Wright's take on the Book of Revelation. I assume that he accepts that book as divinely inspired, as do most Christians. But so far I know he hasn't urged the country to join Israel in a preemptive strike against Iran in order to speed up the Second Coming. I guess given the alternative, I'd rather have a racist-spewing charlatan in the pulpit.

Ticomaya wrote:
And that suspicion and fear is based on what? Some bizarre notion in your head that "Republican spiritual advisors have a tendency to become political advisors, while Democrats tend to call in the clerics only when they need cover for their extra-political indiscretions." That's ridiculous, and on par with something I'd expect to hear from the likes of Roxxxxanne..

That's a pretty feeble, unsupported assertion, and on par with something I'd expect to hear from ... well, from you.

Ticomaya wrote:
What is the connection between Hagee and McCain? Hagee endorsed McCain, and McCain accepted the endorsement. That's it ... there is no relationship between the two.

Well, McCain actively sought Hagee's endorsement and made only a half-hearted attempt to reject the anti-Catholic part of Hagee's agenda (as for the anti-gay, anti-Moslem, and anti-a lot of other things parts, McCain remained silent). Of course, if Obama had actively sought the endorsement of Louis Farrakhan, and made only a half-hearted attempt to reject the anti-white part of Farrakhan's agenda, I'm sure that you'd accept that with the same equanimity that you accept Hagee's endorsement of McCain.

Ticomaya wrote:
What is the connection between Wright and Obama? Let's see ... a 20 year relationship ... Wright is the pastor of Obama's church. Wright married Obama and his wife, and baptized their children. Obama considers Wright to be "a spiritual mentor and a role model." Obama has said that rather than advising him on strategy, Wright helps keep his priorities straight and his moral compass calibrated. Wright is the man who inspired the 2004 keynote speech that put Obama into the national spotlight. Apparently, Obama checks with his pastor before making any bold political moves. Wright had an honorary position on Obama's campaign.

Or, in other words, not much.

Ticomaya wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure you're right ... clearly Hagee will have more influence on McCain than Wright would have on Obama.

I'm glad we agree on that point.
0 Replies