The Wright thing - how much effect will it have on Obama 08?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:04 am
I'm no republican or republican fan but i do find it interesting that this campaign has divided the electorate into two groups... at the very least around here anyway.. those who support Obama unconditionally.....and stupid bigots.

Looks like we've got us another unifier....
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:08 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
those who support Obama unconditionally.....and stupid bigots.

Things will never be the same......
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:12 am
well things should change... we should move beyond racial branding... and it will happen.... but it will be a painful process... and there will be hysterics like
we're seeing here at A2K on both sides of the issue....but it will happen, if not in our childrens time then our grandchildrens'.... if we don't ALL kill each other first that is...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:42 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Asherman wrote:
Great, make Obama your nominee. I'm sure he'll come with more baggage than his long association with a racially bigoted church and pastor. It will be interesting to see if his campaign continues to foster the idea that Obama is a "post-racial" candidate who will bind up and heal the racial divisions in this country. I suppose he might start with Teenb, Roxxann, and the Cyclops.

He's going to kick McCain's teeth right in, Ash. Right out of his ancient head.

You just don't understand the hole your side is in - money, enthusiasm, angst over Bush's policies. But you will. And McCain does not have the ability to climb out of it. In your heart, you know this. But your head will know it soon enough.

Obama's campaign never fostered any of the 'post-racial' ideas that you are talking about. Never. All he did was run for president, and other people made their pronouncements.

I submit that elderly Republicans are not the authorities on what should be done towards race relations in America, and in fact, are amongst those who most definitely should not be consulted on it.

Cycloptichorn

It is unusual to encounter a post in which the author so effectively makes himself look pathetically ignorant, stupid and juvenile, while, at the same time still managing to be offensive.

However, you have done it, Cyclo.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:49 am
...matter of opinion.
Cyclo's assertions that Obama is going to whup McCain, and that old white republicans shouldn't be lecturing anyone on race relations are right on, IMO.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:51 am
Shocked
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:52 am
I would say that I'm sorry you feel that way, George. But that would not in fact be true. It is immaterial to me how you feel about my posting one way or the other.

I reiterate; McCain has a hell of an uphill climb in front of him, and is not strong enough to accomplish the task. We are going to crush him. In fact, the person who is going to most crush McCain is our old friend Bush, who will draaag him right down as McCain desperately attempts to cleave to his side while pushing him away.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:56 am
snood wrote:
...matter of opinion.
Cyclo's assertions that Obama is going to whup McCain, and that old white republicans shouldn't be lecturing anyone on race relations are right on, IMO.

However, I take it you also believe that old Black pastors who have made very profitable careers out of assuring their parishioners that the root cause of all their frustrations in life is the continuing machinations of evil white men, should be so consulted.

QED
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:02 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
snood wrote:
...matter of opinion.

However, I take it you also believe that old Black pastors who have made very profitable careers out of assuring their parishioners that the root cause of all their frustrations in life is the continuing machinations of evil white men, should be so consulted.

QED

Not I; I don't think either group should be consulted, because both represent extreme positions. On one hand, the Wright position, that America hasn't changed from the old days at all; on the other, the white Republican position that equality has already been achieved and there's no point in discussing race at all any further. Both are equally incorrect.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:45 pm
"the white Republican position that equality has already been achieved and there's no point in discussing race at all any further."

There are a number of problem with that statement:

* The Republican Party is made up of people from all genders, ages, and ethnic backgrounds. The GOP is not a Party that judges people by the color of their skin. The GOP does appeal primarily to those who favor traditional American values, like individual responsibility, equal justice, personal initiative and competition. Neither of the principle American Political Parties have held racially divisive positions since the Dixicrats (a large splinter of the Democratic Party who insisted upon racial segregation well into the second half of the 20th century).

* I don't believe that the Republican Party ever expects that complete equality will exist anywhere in the world. People who are free will pursue their own interests and definition of happiness. Some will be successful and prosper, others will take unwarranted risks and fail. Some will be lucky and others won't catch a break in a thousand years. Some folks are born smart and fail to take advantage of the opportunities that education make possible. Others with more modest mental capacity may work hard, sacrifice much and become wealthy. Each free person is and should be free to dispose of their own wealth and property as they see fit. All of these things lead to "inequality". That isn't a bad thing, its the result of individual liberty ... the fundamental characteristic of the American vision.

What we can and should continue to pursue, is equality of opportunity. No person should be prohibited from getting as much education as they desire, regardless of what "group" they belong to. No person should be prevented from seeking or finding employment that they are qualified for based on their religion, race, gender, age, etc. Every person is equal before the Bar of Justice, and the laws of the nation must apply equally to all. Have those goals been fully achieved? They may never be achieved, but the Republican Party continues to hold those principles as sacred.

* It appears that it is the Democratic Party who have injected "race" into their own primary campaign. Obama's campaign has benefited from Blacks voting en block on the basis of his color, and has appealed to the mainstream American voter who has long been tired of racial divisiveness in our country. However, it was Obama who chose to believe that his 20 year long friendship with his mentor, adviser, and pastor was irrelevant. Unfortunately for Obama, and his campaign, Ms. Clinton has "outed" the Rev. Wright and his Black Theology based church for the racial bigots they are now and have been since the days of the Black Panthers. Ms. Clinton didn't indulge in any "dirty tricks" by brining this anomaly to the attention of the Democratic Primary voters. What is remarkable, is that the cut-throat Clinton's took so long to unleash this insight into Obama's character and judgment.

Now Obama's supporters want to quash the issue. "Its no big deal." "Anyone who questions the suitability of a candidate must be a racist." "Rev. Wright is right." "People should excuse the inflammatory rhetoric, racial bigotry, and hate preached by the Rev. Wright, because he and his church merely expressing the views of many Blacks." "Obama shouldn't be questioned just because of his long and intimate relationship with Wright." "How about right-wing preachers who endorse John McCain?"

This issue will continue to plague Obama until he can completely dissociate himself from the Black-racism of his pastor and church. That may cost him some Black votes, but for him to leave the question of just why he retained that close 20 year relationship with a racial bigot, he will remain politically vulnerable.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:49 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
snood wrote:
...matter of opinion.

QED

As soon as you produce an old black pastor who has "made his career" telling people that "the root of all their frustrations in life is the continuing machinations of evil white men", we can talk about tht.

If you're talking about Reverend Wright, whose absolute worst statements are being played as "his career" and "the philosophy of the church", then you can walk that strawman off the same short pier on which I'd invite you to take a long walk.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:14 pm
Until these antagonizers watch at least several videos and learn more about the black, yuppie, mainstream TUCC,

http://www.youtube.com/user/TRINITYCHGO

they have no right to an opinion, because it is based on a racist attack on Wright.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:31 pm
Did he say, Wright, those things at every prayer meeting he had. Of course not. But the fact that he did so every once in a while shows that he is racially prejudiced against whites or he wouldn't have said them just as Snood sometimes showes his prejudice once in a while. Every one has them but some try to overcome them without acuseing every one else of being prejudiced. Obama went to that church for 20 years so he must have agreed with some of what Wright had too say. I might be willing to vote for Obama if he shows maturity in the next 4 or 8 years but not now, just because he has become a cult figure. Cult figures make me nervous as hell.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:06 pm
Regarding the alleged whipping of McCain by Obama. From speaking to most of my friends and aquaintances who are lifelong democrats the consensus is that they have no other option but to vote McCain. I predict that the republican machine will show Obama up as a blowhard that has no real accomplishments in his paper thin resume.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:26 pm
if obama wins you folks can be smug about it and maintain the moral high ground.... if he loses you will say it's because of bigotry and racism, make it clear you're above such things... and maintain your smugness and your moral high ground.

Your smugness and your moral high ground.... well.. any major league ball player would be thrilled to finish the season batting .500... so this is a good situation for y'all.

Have I told you yet today that you guys are hilarious? I really appreciate it....
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:13 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
if obama wins you folks can be smug about it and maintain the moral high ground.... if he loses you will say it's because of bigotry and racism, make it clear you're above such things... and maintain your smugness and your moral high ground.

Your smugness and your moral high ground.... well.. any major league ball player would be thrilled to finish the season batting .500... so this is a good situation for y'all.

Have I told you yet today that you guys are hilarious? I really appreciate it....

Don't mention it. You're good for a few yoks yerself....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:51 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm no republican or republican fan but i do find it interesting that this campaign has divided the electorate into two groups... at the very least around here anyway.. those who support Obama unconditionally...

Still having fun with that straw man Bear?

I know, I know - every single time some individual Obama supporter objects, you reply "oh, not you, I'm not talking about you". It's all those other Obama supporters you're talking about. That nameless crowd of smug, arrogant Obamabots who support him un-con-di-tion-nally dominating this forum, which doesnt actually include, well, most of the Obama sympathisers I can think of. It's, you know, Roxxanne and Cyclo and.. eh.. eh.. eh.. well, all THOSE Obamaites!

I know, I know - for you, it's just a game you play, you said so yourself. But boy is it tired.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:04 pm
Worse - here you are, just having fun posting personal putdowns of Obama voters every other day for the past two or three months, and then OMG - they criticise you for it! They object!

Ha - so much for Obama being a "uniter"! I mean, obviously that's his fault, then, that you then get upset to-and-fros. If he were really a uniter, his supporters would just gladly chuckle at being called smug, mindless bores every day.

Just goes to show that Obama supporters have no sense of humor. They should calm down already, take it easy. I mean, everyone knows that if you post on every other thread that they are smug, arrogant, unthinking, elitist, mindless bots, you're just, you know, fooling around a bit, having fun. Only a witless bore would get upset at that.

Gak.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:13 pm
nimh wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm no republican or republican fan but i do find it interesting that this campaign has divided the electorate into two groups... at the very least around here anyway.. those who support Obama unconditionally...

Still having fun with that straw man Bear?

I know, I know - every single time some individual Obama supporter objects, you reply "oh, not you, I'm not talking about you". It's all those other Obama supporters you're talking about. That nameless crowd of smug, arrogant Obamabots who support him un-con-di-tion-nally dominating this forum, which doesnt actually include, well, most of the Obama sympathisers I can think of. It's, you know, Roxxanne and Cyclo and.. eh.. eh.. eh.. well, all THOSE Obamaites!

I know, I know - for you, it's just a game you play, you said so yourself. But boy is it tired.

Except that I, as a loyal Democrat and as someone who has always liked Hillary, will ENTHUSIASTICALLY support Senator Clinton if she somehow wins the pledged delegate count. Even if she steals the nomination, I will still vote for her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:25 pm
Gak 2:

I've been meaning to post a link to an art show somewhere, was it NY or London, involving someone named Wright... just to break the steady stream of gakking.
0 Replies