The Wright thing - how much effect will it have on Obama 08?

snood

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:48 pm
nimh wrote:
Worse - here you are, just having fun posting personal putdowns of Obama voters every other day for the past two or three months, and then OMG - they criticise you for it! They object!

Ha - so much for Obama being a "uniter"! I mean, obviously that's his fault, then, that you then get upset to-and-fros. If he were really a uniter, his supporters would just gladly chuckle at being called smug, mindless bores every day.

Just goes to show that Obama supporters have no sense of humor. They should calm down already, take it easy. I mean, everyone knows that if you post on every other thread that they are smug, arrogant, unthinking, elitist, mindless bots, you're just, you know, fooling around a bit, having fun. Only a witless bore would get upset at that.

Gak.

No ****, for real. You said a mouthful.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:21 pm
au1929 wrote:
Regarding the alleged whipping of McCain by Obama. From speaking to most of my friends and aquaintances who are lifelong democrats the consensus is that they have no other option but to vote McCain. I predict that the republican machine will show Obama up as a blowhard that has no real accomplishments in his paper thin resume.

I hope your prediction comes true ... in which case Cyclops will be served a great big steaming plate of crow.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:02 pm
nimh wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm no republican or republican fan but i do find it interesting that this campaign has divided the electorate into two groups... at the very least around here anyway.. those who support Obama unconditionally...

Still having fun with that straw man Bear?

I know, I know - every single time some individual Obama supporter objects, you reply "oh, not you, I'm not talking about you". It's all those other Obama supporters you're talking about. That nameless crowd of smug, arrogant Obamabots who support him un-con-di-tion-nally dominating this forum, which doesnt actually include, well, most of the Obama sympathisers I can think of. It's, you know, Roxxanne and Cyclo and.. eh.. eh.. eh.. well, all THOSE Obamaites!

I know, I know - for you, it's just a game you play, you said so yourself. But boy is it tired.

not tired at all... I'm having a wonderful time with you whiners...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:03 pm
nimh wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm no republican or republican fan but i do find it interesting that this campaign has divided the electorate into two groups... at the very least around here anyway.. those who support Obama unconditionally...

I know, I know - every single time some individual Obama supporter objects, you reply "oh, not you, I'm not talking about you". It's all those other Obama supporters you're talking about. That nameless crowd of smug, arrogant Obamabots who support him un-con-di-tion-nally dominating this forum, which doesnt actually include, well, most of the Obama sympathisers I can think of. It's, you know, Roxxanne and Cyclo and.. eh.. eh.. eh.. well, all THOSE Obamaites!

I know, I know - for you, it's just a game you play, you said so yourself. But boy is it tired.

how is that a straw man?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:49 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Regarding the alleged whipping of McCain by Obama. From speaking to most of my friends and aquaintances who are lifelong democrats the consensus is that they have no other option but to vote McCain. I predict that the republican machine will show Obama up as a blowhard that has no real accomplishments in his paper thin resume.

I hope your prediction comes true ... in which case Cyclops will be served a great big steaming plate of crow.

Wishful thinkng is all you have. You don't think McCain will beat Obama, do you?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:07 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
au1929 wrote:

Wishful thinkng is all you have. You don't think McCain will beat Obama, do you?

I sure hope he does.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:07 pm
I guess I have the audacity of hope.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:38 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm having a wonderful time with you whiners...

Yeah. That was exactly the response I was sarcastically predicting:

Quote:
Worse - here you are, just having fun posting personal putdowns of Obama voters every other day for the past two or three months, and then OMG - they criticise you for it! They object!

Just goes to show that Obama supporters have no sense of humor. They should calm down already, take it easy. I mean, everyone knows that if you post on every other thread that they are smug, arrogant, unthinking, elitist, mindless bots, you're just, you know, fooling around a bit, having fun. Only a witless bore would get upset at that.

Damn man, did you really wanna live up to a parody like that?

Well, at least you put it in fewer words.

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
how is that a straw man?

The BS you keep repeating about how voters and posters here have been divided into two groups; and those who are on Obama's side are just people who will "support Obama unconditionally".

There is, of course, nothing "unconditional" about the support for Obama among his sympathisers "around here" - check me, check Soz, check Freeduck, check revel, check Snood, check JPB, check.. oh almost every halfway articulate Obama supporter on A2K I can think of.

And of course, whenever one of 'em objects to your characterisations of mindless Obamabots, you do admit that, of course, "I didnt mean you"... But it doesnt stop you from trotting out the old meme next time again.

So who are you talking about, then, when you say it's true "around here" too? Even Cyclo has, on request, repeatedly specified the things he disagrees with Obama on. So, Roxxxanne, then? Teeny? They represent Obama supporters?

It's BS. And like you said, you see other people as playing their games, so this is yours. A game. So if any of us starts objecting after the 10th time you do it, we're just whiners. Oh, and we're showing how Obama is not in fact a unifier, of course. Because if somebody finally takes offense the xth time you needle a whole group collectively, that just shows that Obama is dividing people.

BS, BS, BS. I'm so tired of all this f*cking BS in this campaign. Why cant people just stop playing these freaking games and behave like grown-ups again?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 12:03 am
nimh wrote:
BS, BS, BS. I'm so tired of all this f*cking BS in this campaign. Why cant people just stop playing these freaking games and behave like grown-ups again?

Are you going to be okay, nimh?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 02:17 am
Roxxxanne wrote:

Except that I, as a loyal Democrat and as someone who has always liked Hillary, will ENTHUSIASTICALLY support Senator Clinton if she somehow wins the pledged delegate count. Even if she steals the nomination, I will still vote for her.

And, like you, 'most' Democrats will vote for their candidate no matter who it is.

The problem is that the percentage who are saying they won't this time around is very high, around 20% or more.

That still leaves 'most' who will, but it's enough who might not to spell defeat for the Dems if they hold true to their rhetoric.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/105691/McCain-vs-Obama-28-Clinton-Backers-McCain.aspx
Quote:
If McCain vs. Obama, 28% of Clinton Backers Go for McCain
If McCain vs. Clinton, 19% of Obama backers go for McCain

PRINCETON, NJ -- A sizable proportion of Democrats would vote for John McCain next November if he is matched against the candidate they do not support for the Democratic nomination. This is particularly true for Hillary Clinton supporters, more than a quarter of whom currently say they would vote for McCain if Barack Obama is the Democratic nominee...................

As would be expected, almost all Democratic voters who say they support Obama for their party's nomination also say they would vote for him in a general election matchup against McCain. But only 59% of Democratic voters who support Clinton say they would vote for Obama against McCain, while 28% say they would vote for the Republican McCain. This suggests that some Clinton supporters are so strongly opposed to Obama (or so loyal to Clinton) that they would go so far as to vote for the "other" party's candidate next November if Obama is the Democratic nominee.

The results follow the same pattern, but not to quite the same extent, when the relationship between Democratic support and a general election matchup between Clinton and McCain is examined.

Here again, as expected, almost all of those who support Clinton for the Democratic Party's nomination say they would vote for her against McCain. Seventy-two percent of those who support Obama for the party's nomination would vote for Clinton against McCain, while 19% would desert and vote for the Republican........................

So, while you are in the 'majority' among your party, there may not be enough of you.

It may be safe to say if the election were held today using these results, McCain would be the winner.

What can Dems do to change this? At present, probably nothing because the intensifying battle for the nomination requires both candidates to go more negative in search of Undecideds, and thus drive away the other camp.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 07:56 am
Ticomaya wrote:
nimh wrote:

Are you going to be okay, nimh?

Yeah, I'm OK. Just frustrated. I mean, this is getting ridiculous. This race definitely isnt bringing up the best in us. And I guess it'll only get worse until November.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 08:19 am
nimh wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm having a wonderful time with you whiners...

Yeah. That was exactly the response I was sarcastically predicting:

Quote:

Damn man, did you really wanna live up to a parody like that?

Well, at least you put it in fewer words.

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
how is that a straw man?

The BS you keep repeating about how voters and posters here have been divided into two groups; and those who are on Obama's side are just people who will "support Obama unconditionally".

There is, of course, nothing "unconditional" about the support for Obama among his sympathisers "around here" - check me, check Soz, check Freeduck, check revel, check Snood, check JPB, check.. oh almost every halfway articulate Obama supporter on A2K I can think of.

And of course, whenever one of 'em objects to your characterisations of mindless Obamabots, you do admit that, of course, "I didnt mean you"... But it doesnt stop you from trotting out the old meme next time again.

So who are you talking about, then, when you say it's true "around here" too? Even Cyclo has, on request, repeatedly specified the things he disagrees with Obama on. So, Roxxxanne, then? Teeny? They represent Obama supporters?

It's BS. And like you said, you see other people as playing their games, so this is yours. A game. So if any of us starts objecting after the 10th time you do it, we're just whiners. Oh, and we're showing how Obama is not in fact a unifier, of course. Because if somebody finally takes offense the xth time you needle a whole group collectively, that just shows that Obama is dividing people.

BS, BS, BS. I'm so tired of all this f*cking BS in this campaign. Why cant people just stop playing these freaking games and behave like grown-ups

The entire Obama campaign as represented here, in the media, on the streets has a tinge of "more than", "better than", "smarter than"., "more enlightened than", "more educated than".

some are outright dicks about it... like some you mentioned....some take the passive aggressive approach like obama himself, a few are reasonable but still will not tolerate deviance from the fact that Obama is the medicine to cure this ailing country and that's that and if you don't agree you are somehow "less than".

In the bush years to the far right there was the elitism of patriotism and if you aren't with me you're against me. If you don't support my policies and beliefs you don't love America and you are "less than".

Now we approach what many think will be the Obama years and it's intellectual, moral high ground years, and you're either with it or against it. If you don't buy into the "audacity of hope" and follow the policies of the "educated and enlightened class" you don't love America and you are "less than".

well f*ck that old buddy, I have the audacity of cynicism and i don't believe in your candidate... I've listened to him and it all sounds wonderful... BUT I DON'T BELIEVE OR TRUST IT!!!!!!!!!

so as for my BS game just remember this... the more blown up a balloon is the easier it it to pop..
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 08:22 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
nimh wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Except that I, as a loyal Democrat and as someone who has always liked Hillary, will ENTHUSIASTICALLY support Senator Clinton if she somehow wins the pledged delegate count. Even if she steals the nomination, I will still vote for her.

you call her a hag. a finished up old witch, you talk about her like she's **** on a stick and then, just to show how enlightened and reasonable you actually are, you let us know you have always liked her and will enthusiastically support her should she get the nomination.

Hilarity abounds.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 09:26 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
In the bush years to the far right there was the elitism of patriotism and if you aren't with me you're against me. If you don't support my policies and beliefs you don't love America and you are "less than".

If you hadn't noticed, this is still going on. What do you think this whole Wright nonsense is really about?

Quote:
Now we approach what many think will be the Obama years and it's intellectual, moral high ground years, and you're either with it or against it. If you don't buy into the "audacity of hope" and follow the policies of the "educated and enlightened class" you don't love America and you are "less than".

This is, frankly, complete bullshit. I haven't seen any credible assertion that you are either with or against Obama or even an implication that that is so. Quite the opposite, really, because he can't win the nomination or the election without winning people over to his side, which is pretty hard to do if you've declared those people enemies. But it makes you feel better to project this nonsense onto Obama and his supporters. There is a candidate in this race who seems to believe that, but it's not Obama. Just ask Judas, the governor of New Mexico.

This is about you, not Obama. For all your crowing about us thinking we're superior, it's you who thinks that you're superior. You think you're superior to us because you're not "falling for it" and you're not taken in like us naive "Obamabots". No sirree, you're a thinking man, not like us holier than thou koolaid drinkers. When you paint Obama supporters as high and mighty educated elitists, you're talking to me too. And I busted my ass for every penny I have and every inch of education I received (which I'm still paying for, BTW, and didn't finally finish until I was 30 with two kids) and I resent the implication that I'm living some privileged pipe dream. It's insulting.

Most of us here recognize that there are very good reasons why Hillary supporters would choose her, even if we can't. Why can't you do the same?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 09:30 am
freeduck..... bullshit. I don't think I'm superior.... I just know I'm not inferior... and my self esteem is not tied up in character identity. Believe me I don't think all Obama supporters are educated elitists... but I think a great many of them have decided to latch on to and perpetuate that image for reasons best known to them.

And I've been insulted as many times as I've insulted others during this comedy.

I'm not pissed off about it though.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 09:36 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
freeduck..... bullshit. I don't think I'm superior.... I just know I'm not inferior... and my self esteem is not tied up in character identity. Believe me I don't think all Obama supporters are educated elitists... but I think a great many of them have decided to latch on to and perpetuate that image for reasons best known to them.

If "a great many of them" have been giving that off, it should be all over A2K and easy enough to address when it happens, right? It shouldn't be something that you have to bring up and inject into every thread. If it's so pervasive, you should be able to address it when it happens, no?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 09:38 am
that's what I've been doing...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 09:41 am
duckie I have to go dj a charity event for St. Baldricks... just so you know I'm not ducking out (no pun intended)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 09:42 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
if obama wins you folks can be smug about it and maintain the moral high ground.... if he loses you will say it's because of bigotry and racism, make it clear you're above such things... and maintain your smugness and your moral high ground.

Your smugness and your moral high ground.... well.. any major league ball player would be thrilled to finish the season batting .500... so this is a good situation for y'all.

Have I told you yet today that you guys are hilarious? I really appreciate it....

What elitism was this post in response to?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 09:44 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
nimh wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

you call her a hag. a finished up old witch, you talk about her like she's **** on a stick and then, just to show how enlightened and reasonable you actually are, you let us know you have always liked her and will enthusiastically support her should she get the nomination.

Hilarity abounds.

Hillarity [sic] indeed. As Ticomaya would say, put down the crack pipe, I never called her a hag or an old witch or talked about like she is **** on a stick. Now you are resorting to lying. Sad.
0 Replies