My husband asked–are you putting on weight–what should I do?

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:32 am
Along the same lines, I put up a wedding picture of my wife as my background on my laptop a few months back. She asked me why I decided to dig out an old wedding photo and scan it in for use as a background. (We've been married 25 years)

Well, I answered honestly that it was so I would be reminded how she looked back then when she was thin.

I managed to avoid the large objects she threw at me and suffered only mild cuts and abrasions from the small items.

I now use a nice mountain lake scene as my background and I stay away from comments about her weight. Hopefully your husband has learned his lesson quickly also. :wink:
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:32 am
I agree with Hawkeye. In what I consider a healthy marriage, spouses should be able to talk about anything.

My wife and I talk about the fact that I am gaining weight... and that I am losing hair... no big deal.

It seems to me that comfortability and emotional intimacy in a marriage are good things.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:39 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Along the same lines, I put up a wedding picture of my wife as my background on my laptop a few months back. She asked me why I decided to dig out an old wedding photo and scan it in for use as a background. (We've been married 25 years)

Well, I answered honestly that it was so I would be reminded how she looked back then when she was thin.

I managed to avoid the large objects she threw at me and suffered only mild cuts and abrasions from the small items.

I now use a nice mountain lake scene as my background and I stay away from comments about her weight. Hopefully your husband has learned his lesson quickly also. :wink:

Love it - actually my husband got off easy - I think I was so shocked at what he said - it really is unlike him.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:46 am
Setanta was primarily raised by a set of grandparents.

His grandfather taught him well: "If Mama's not happy, nobody's happy".
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:46 am
I don't understand women who would marry a man but will not share with him her neurotic concerns about weight, would make the subject a no go zone. To me this is like marrying a man but not sharing your sexual fantasies with him. An intimate couple should be able to talk about anything, including his dick size.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:51 am
CalamityJane wrote:
You have absolutely no clue, hackeye.

"hackeye - Laughing

Hawkeye, you and epbrown seem to be on a very serious tangent here - chill out and lighten up!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:55 am
A woman came home and asked her husband for 10,000 for a boob job.

He left the room and returned with a roll of toilet paper and told her to rub it across her boobs every day twice a day.

When she asked why she would do that and what it had to do with a boob job he answered "Honey, look what it's done for your ass".
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:59 am
Bear
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

He left the room and returned with a roll of toilet paper and told her to rub it across her boobs every day twice a day.

When she asked why she would do that and what it had to do with a boob job he answered "Honey, look what it's done for your ass".

You are soooo mean! Does that mean a man doesn't wipe his penis?

BBB
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:00 pm
Mame wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
You have absolutely no clue, hackeye.

"hackeye - Laughing

<snort>
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:02 pm
Mame wrote:
, you and epbrown seem to be on a very serious tangent here - chill out and lighten up!

....are you.... suggesting that we are too.... heavy ? ...

((ebrown chokes back tears and looks for something to throw))
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:14 pm
Well, I wasn't going to mention that paunch, but since you brought it up...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 01:00 pm
Mention the new diet plan? The one that lets you lose 160lb (or whatever he weighs) in one day.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 01:08 pm
Re: Bear
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

You are soooo mean! Does that mean a man doesn't wipe his penis?

BBB

Now THAT's a good one!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 01:09 pm
ok, you want open communication?

him: are you gaining weight?

her: are you feeling suicidal?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 01:21 pm
boomerang wrote:
Put some Nair in his shampoo and call it even.

AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 01:35 pm
look on the bright side. you can now patriotically support the droops

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/dre0743l.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 01:57 pm
Linkat--

Your weight is the same, but you've been economizing on clothes. When your ship comes in, you deserve to go shopping.

Men!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 02:17 pm
Ok, serious here for a moment...

hawkeye/ebrown

This doesn't have to do with open communication.

You think when a person has gained some weight, they don't know it?

Fact: women, more than men, are generally more upset when they put on enough pounds that they can see it themselves in the mirror, or in the fit of their clothes.

If someone tells a man it looks like they've gained weight, they are more apt to reply "Yeah, I gotta buy some bigger pants"

I'm not going to debate which characteristics for men or women are more distressful for men and women, just accept for purposes of this thread weight is a biggie.

So, when you tell a woman she's gaining weight, it hurts because she's thinking "Don't you think I already know that? Don't rub my face in it"

The nearest comparison I can think of for a man is "mentioning" to him that he's failing at his job, that he's not able to supprt his family.

I know, not the best example, but the man would be hurt and angry that someone is pointing out to him something he already knows about, and hates.

maybe men, or some men can't understand why that telling or asking a woman about her weight would hurt her, but take it on faith it does.

BTW, hawkeye, you did what a lot a people do, men and women....you used the distraction technique, bringing up the toilet seat "game" as you put it.....if the other person falls for it, all of the sudden you're talking about their problem, not the origianl subject.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 02:24 pm
I suppose suggesting a girdle is pretty much out of the question...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 02:45 pm

your a brave man George..
0 Replies