ME MYSELF I - The pros & cons of the solo life

msolga

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:47 am
margo wrote:
Living with someone in a relatonship that's going downhill, but hasn't quite broken, is just a nightmare.quote]

margo I couldn't agree more!!!!!! Horrible, horrible! Shocked
Been there/done that. Soul destroying, it is. Better alone anyday!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:52 am
Yup, dlowan, better a crowd than the dreaded claustrophobic couple thing! Shocked Trouble is, formerly close households falling apart can be just as upsetting as a *relationship* self destructing, yes?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:19 am
I don't think the tendrils are woven quite as deeply, nor do they touch our most deep neediness, as happens in a "relationship".

I have certainly weathered household endings more philosophically than the other sort!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:29 am
Speaking of "the other sort" of relationship .... I wonder if one can become a wee bit phobic about entering into that (potentially devastating) situation again? I remember a Loudin Wainright (sp?) in which he extolls the virtues of being lonely after such a tangled relationship: "loneliness is happiness .."
I suspect I would be extremely wary of future "romantic" entanglements after last one. It takes SO much effort to get one's self back into one functioning bit after experiencing something like that!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:16 am
Indeed - I know of what you speak - I be way gun-shy!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:17 am
Indeed - I know of what you speak - I be way gun-shy!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:22 am
msolga wrote:
Who needs the angst of a *relationship* when you are able to live such a harmonious life with your housemates?

Unfortunately they are all men and as a straight man...

I've never lived in a mixed-sex house, apart from with a girlfriend for a year. And that was a nightmare as she was more slobbish than me.

If I had an offer from the right woman I'd be co-habiting in a flash!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:27 am
Does anyone think it strange for 4 straight men to share a house? Some colleagues have given me strange looks when I've told them.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:33 am
Not at all.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:34 am
The main thing I miss about living with any human is the cleanliness. I'm much better about keeping things clean when I live with someone else - and so far, men I've lived with have been MUCH cleaner than other women. And I seem to always live with quite tall men, when I live with men - which means I never needed to get out the stepladder to get at the vanilla sugar.

Which reminds me. I'd better load up the dishwasher. The faeries are on strike again. Sad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:48 am
I thunk you was gonna spend the day doin' housework, and bein' generally Suzy Homemaker?

I'll prolly wanna jump right in the shower when i get there--want me to leave a trail of clothing to the bathroom door?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:32 am
Dishwasher emptied, and re-loaded and running. Counters wiped down. Small sacks of garbage carried out.
Trying to figure out where all the kidlets will sleep tonight.
I think I may need to buy a few more pillows.

buy, buy a few more pillows
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:20 pm
I do often forget to eat and/or eat not as well as I should....after this long alone the whole cook yourself a good meal has worn thin...and I dont think its the cleaning up but the effort for myself, Im just not that interested for it.
Those lovely snacks that become a meal generally get me through.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:32 pm
Just had a fine, solitary luncheon of droopy brie and blackberry preserves on Stoned Wheat Thins - with a mug of chai. I don't believe I could convince anyone else that was a meal if I served it to them. Embarrassed
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 01:01 pm
Ah the days of yore, once upon a time when men were men till they got wed and suddenly they were new men. All their little joys were undone. When
the pub was home from home, sell by dates on food were purely a point of negotiation. That nice ripe Stilton matured nicely in the back of the fridge.
Your collection of car magazines was safe behind the sofa. Now that raunchy 2 seater has become a 6 seater SUV. Those ancient, comfy jeans, heavy metal t-shirts & bikers leather jacket & 5 days stubble have all been sanitized, replaced by all the sensible things decreed by HER and you have been transformed from into Mr. Nest-Builder. Sheeze don't it make your brain ache, never mind your legs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 01:15 pm
SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED ! ! !
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 01:28 pm
[size=7]<< hmmmmm, is he finally catching on? >>[/size]
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 01:29 pm
Setanta. Oh you are more than right. purgatory incarnate
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:25 pm
oldandknew wrote:
Those ancient, comfy jeans, heavy metal t-shirts & bikers leather jacket & 5 days stubble have all been sanitized, replaced by all the sensible things

...BY HIM and you have been transformed from into MS. Nest-Builder....

THATs what Im doing wrong

however the leather jacket stays in the back of the closet for a few more years, I dont care who doesnt like it..as for the rest of the list...I shall not be changed Smile

who says its sensible

its all wrong I tell ya
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:36 pm
Is THAT what I have been doing wrong? Am I supposed to CHANGE you smeggers?
0 Replies