Husband taking part in chores around the house

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 10:40 pm
I suppose it's time for me to post in my idiosyncratic way about abilities.
Alas, I don't have a framework for the post until I see it in my post.

I had a smart mother, valedictorian, who never read much after high school, which ended around 1918. A father who went through college and quit med school to take care of his mother. Became a film cutter, eventually became a director and a writer. It was he who showed me things re carpentry and reading and thinking, and said words like you can be a doctor if you want to.

Because of the happenstance that our fragile lace curtain irishness gave me access to know at least how to cross-stitch - plus it was the fifties, when it was popular - I learned some crafts.

I thought I wanted to be an md/scientist, but doors were closed then/pre 65. I'm not sure I would have been so good at it, though I'd read lots of books on the history of medicine. I became, instead, a fairly enthusiastic research lab tech. Took drawing after work at some point.

Discovered, then, a whole new world, re art. And later still, another whole new world, a few years later, re landscape architecture. Which, natch, involved some engineering calculations, some ability to quickly do structural details. Think spatially. Conceptualize structures. Understand land and it's contours.

I gotta tell ya, those who are afraid of it, it isn't that hard if you dig in and play with it, this spatial stuff.

I usually know what direction I'm going in, too, unless I'm in a housing tract curved road twirligig.

I get that brains differ. But I think learning is plastic.

Chores around the house, that's another post, and not a gripe post re my own experience.
0 Replies